357 Maximum

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Rainy day in Oregon so I loaded up some Maximum rounds just for something to do. No plans for this load other than to punch paper.
7352b84edc71f3b5bf2cf9dc0a82a0bb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's an extended 357 mag case. Their great in single shot pistols and rifles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":1yvaadqg said:
It's an extended 357 mag case. Their great in single shot pistols and rifles!

I never understood why they faded away??? Seemed like a good cartridge to me, the few times I shot one.

The Dan Wesson in 357 maximum was a beast! But in an encore or bored out handi rifle they are great

I believe they had trouble with the revolvers burning the top strap and forcing cone with lighter bullets. This helped cause the decline in popularity.
Seems to be one of the favorites in the Thompson Contender.

That's a pretty danged cool cartridge.

Buddy has a 35 Rem in a Contender and man, what a cool pistol. I'd imagine the 357 Max would be fairly close.

SJB358":3lw1owoz said:

Buddy has a 35 Rem in a Contender and man, what a cool pistol. I'd imagine the 357 Max would be fairly close.

A friend of mine also had a .35 Rem Contender while I had a Dan Wesson .357 Max. Man we had a great time with those guns.
I also had a Dan Wesson .445 Supermag & had to make my brass using 30/40 Krag cases. That was before factory .445 brass was available in UK.
Fantastic fun.

ElmerThud":2euwjqed said:
SJB358":2euwjqed said:

A friend of mine also had a .35 Rem Contender while I had a Dan Wesson .357 Max. Man we had a great time with those guns.
I also had a Dan Wesson .445 Supermag & had to make my brass using 30/40 Krag cases. That was before factory .445 brass was available in UK.
Fantastic fun.

I remember reading about the 445 years ago when I was a kid. Very cool cartridge.

SJB358":12rt8jj4 said:
I remember reading about 445 years ago when I was a kid.

How old are you, Scotty???? :shock: Four hundred forty-five years ago??? :?

Sheesh! Almost half my age! Too much to take today. Think I'll go to church.

I have an Original Contender 357 Max barrel. Love the cartridge. Got the best performance out of the 180 gr Hornady SSP bullet over AA1680.

Back