Best powder for the .308 and .300 Savage?

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I was wondering if there was a powder that would be optimal for both the .308 and .300 Savage?

Would Varget be a good duel powder for both cartridges?

Any suggestions?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I got great results with leverlution in 303 Savage. With the 300 Savage you have a little more case so you could try that. With the 303, I’m getting a 209 extra fps with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":rvpx6dei said:
I got great results with leverlution in 303 Savage. With the 300 Savage you have a little more case so you could try that. With the 303, I’m getting a 209 extra fps with it.

Read this article. Sounds like you could consider super performance.
http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=1026

mjcmichigan":20q1dtac said:

WOW! That's amazing! Good going with the extra velocity.
Some day I would like to get a .303 Savage, the flagship of the Savage 99.
Is LeverEvolution available on the shelf? I know, dumb question, but I haven't seen any in my parts.
I would possibly use that with a 150 or 165 gr bullet in the .300, maybe a 180 gr in the .308 Win.

Now, for a curve ball, could I use the LeverEvolution powder, or Superformance in the .45-70 too?

I’ve been able to get it. Maybe you can find it on Cabelas or Bass Pro web sites and have them ship to store. Will save you the hazmat fee

mjcmichigan":1nt2b586 said:
I’ve been able to get it. Maybe you can find it on Cabelas or Bass Pro web sites and have them ship to store. Will save you the hazmat fee

This is true! That's great advice on all the powders mjcmichigan.
Thank you.

mjcmichigan":35j395o7 said:

Leverlution has a backlog 3-4 weeks at Cabelas.

HAWKEYESATX":z4es1lpn said:
mjcmichigan":z4es1lpn said:

Is LeverEvolution available on the shelf? I know, dumb question, but I haven't seen any in my parts.
I would possibly use that with a 150 or 165 gr bullet in the .300, maybe a 180 gr in the .308 Win.

So the 303 Savage. A word of caution before considering buying one. Some are 310 diameter and some are .308. Slugging the barrel is the best if you don’t know which you have. There was a period that Savage used a British contractor to make barrels. The one I worked on belongs to a co-workers Grandfather(late). He was the original owner from 1928. It was 308. We went with Hornady FTX 160gn bullets. They also make a 140 FTX and a 135 GMX(maybe it was also a 140 mono). I would have rather seen him pick the Nosler CTBT Round Nose for 3030.
The 303 is velocity challenged. Bullets that expand between 2600-1500 are best for 303.
300 is a lot better cartridge.

mjcmichigan":23jpjztz said:
HAWKEYESATX":23jpjztz said:
mjcmichigan":23jpjztz said:

So the 303 Savage. A word of caution before considering buying one. Some are 310 diameter and some are .308. Slugging the barrel is the best if you don’t know which you have. There was a period that Savage used a British contractor to make barrels. The one I worked on belongs to a co-workers Grandfather(late). He was the original owner from 1928. It was 308. We went with Hornady FTX 160gn bullets. They also make a 140 FTX and a 135 GMX(maybe it was also a 140 mono). I would have rather seen him pick the Nosler CTBT Round Nose for 3030.
The 303 is velocity challenged. Bullets that expand between 2600-1500 are best for 303.
300 is a lot better cartridge.

I don't think I would shoot a .303 that much. It would just be for nostalgia purposes. Just to have one kinda thing, 'cause I love 99's.
It's velocity is a lot like the .30-30's, ballistic twins pretty much.
Just be cool to have.
I would like to get one with a .308 barrel though.

Yes. If I was going to, I’d be chasing that one. I’d like to pick up a Marlin 1895 in 45-70.

IMR 4064 is all the farther you need to look. Varget will work, it is near identical in density and burn rate, but much more data is available for the .300 Savage with the older powder and availability is more consistent.

I've been loading both these rounds for around 20 years, have tried most everything, and keep coming back to 4064. I've tried some of the others, VN140, IMR 4320, Varget, BL-c2 and W748, It just produces the best accuracy and near top velocity in every .308 and .300 Savage load I endeavor to work up. It's a dense powder, so makes good use of the case capacity in both of these rounds. Not new, sexy or gimmicky, it just works.

If you are concerned with metering, give 4320 a try. I had very good luck with that one as well, but when I used up the old stock I was given by a friend, I just went back to 4064 instead of pursuing a new lot of 4320. It has shorter grains and meters well. 4064 must be weighed for consistency.

Polaris":24zab456 said:
IMR 4064 is all the farther you need to look. Varget will work, it is near identical in density and burn rate, but much more data is available for the .300 Savage with the older powder and availability is more consistent.

I've been loading both these rounds for around 20 years, have tried most everything, and keep coming back to 4064. I've tried some of the others, VN140, IMR 4320, Varget, BL-c2 and W748, It just produces the best accuracy and near top velocity in every .308 and .300 Savage load I endeavor to work up. It's a dense powder, so makes good use of the case capacity in both of these rounds. Not new, sexy or gimmicky, it just works.

If you are concerned with metering, give 4320 a try. I had very good luck with that one as well, but when I used up the old stock I was given by a friend, I just went back to 4064 instead of pursuing a new lot of 4320. It has shorter grains and meters well. 4064 must be weighed for consistency.
Thank you Polaris!
I was hoping to hear that I could use one powder for both.
4064 it is then.
I don't use an automatic powder trickled, so no problem with using 4064.

I can't even begin to calculate the # of powders I tried and wound up just giving away to the next chump trying to find 'The One".

I got good accuracy from 4064 in my 308 carbine, but velocity was always Ho-Hum. RL-15 was consistently inconsistent until I found the Node, then it shined bright as hell. All in all, I'd concentrate around Varget first, then 4320.

You can waste a lot of time and $$ dancing around 'The One' day dream, but one of those two will get you as close to where it's You that makes the difference in whether it's a hit, or miss.

RL-15 and/or Varget along with the 168 Custom Comp from Nosler, mine shoots bug holes at 100 yards.

Elkman":w41p5kpo said:
RL-15 and/or Varget along with the 168 Custom Comp from Nosler, mine shoots bug holes at 100 yards.
168 gr bullet for both the .308 & .300 Savage Elkman?

Back