6.5x280AI

nomosendero

Handloader
Apr 13, 2006
I would like to see Nosler introduce that round, it would be so easy with their 280AI brass. Yes, I know it is easy now as a wildcat and I load my own most of the time but at 65 years old I would like my rifles handed down to be factory chamberings.
I think about this more and more since it would have the same speed or very close as the 6.5PRC and with a std bolt face but with a long action as my M700 .270 in the safe I would gladly re-barrel.

Maybe Nosler doesn't see the demand since they haven't done it as yet, just a thought.
A 142 LRA, a 140 Partition & 140 Gr. Match load all running 2,950 or so would be nice.

Awh well

Basically what your proposing is a 6.5 Sherman which is based off the 280 Rem case and I think ADG might be making brass for it but don't quote me on that.

Yes, again I can do it easily enough but I am trying to avoid Wildcats from this point forward (I have a couple now). I would like to see factory ammo/chamberings.Besides, I believe this would sell just as the 280AI has, very close to PRC speeds in a std. case.

Yes, again I can do it easily enough but I am trying to avoid Wildcats from this point forward (I have a couple now). I would like to see factory ammo/chamberings.Besides, I believe this would sell just as the 280AI has, very close to PRC speeds in a std. case.

As stated from the start, the ability to get the "wildcat" chambered has never been in question.

nomosendero said:
As stated from the start, the ability to get the "wildcat" chambered has never been in question.[/quote

I didn't see your last post.

It is a cool cartridge. I agree registering w SAAMI would be good.
But I don’t think it’ll happen.
My rationale, and I may be completely wrong, but it’s now a “tweener “.
Here’s why. Nosler already has the 26. Weatherby has the 6.5-300. Winchester has the 264 WM. GAP has the 4S. All exceed what you’d get with the 6.5-280 AI, a few exceed it by a bunch.
Then you have the Creed, 6.5x47, 6.5x55, 260 and so on.
While there is a gap between those two the only newly introduced “filler” has been the 6.5 PRC. Shorter OAL than the 06 based cartridges, Hornady making factory Ammo and brass, so pretty good support.
There are also the 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 in that gap, both standardized cartridges although I don’t know of any current factory 6.5-06 or loaded Ammo even though ASquare standardized it. They will run very close to what the 6.5-280 AI would.
As no one is really squealing for more 6.5-284s or 6.5-06s(As an aside, I have 2)I can’t really see sufficient demand or sales sizzle if you will to justify the expense of standardizing it.

Dwh7271":2n6per48 said:
It is a cool cartridge. I agree registering w SAAMI would be good.
But I don’t think it’ll happen.
My rationale, and I may be completely wrong, but it’s now a “tweener “.
Here’s why. Nosler already has the 26. Weatherby has the 6.5-300. Winchester has the 264 WM. GAP has the 4S. All exceed what you’d get with the 6.5-280 AI, a few exceed it by a bunch.
Then you have the Creed, 6.5x47, 6.5x55, 260 and so on.
While there is a gap between those two the only newly introduced “filler” has been the 6.5 PRC. Shorter OAL than the 06 based cartridges, Hornady making factory Ammo and brass, so pretty good support.
There are also the 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 in that gap, both standardized cartridges although I don’t know of any current factory 6.5-06 or loaded Ammo even though ASquare standardized it. They will run very close to what the 6.5-280 AI would.
As no one is really squealing for more 6.5-284s or 6.5-06s(As an aside, I have 2)I can’t really see sufficient demand or sales sizzle if you will to justify the expense of standardizing it.

I think that is likely the case also and it is true about the small gaps in between with all the 6.5's. The same is true of the 7mm family but the 280AI has a good market, but the difference is the 280AI was a popular Wildcat for years before Nosler did their magic. I have a Ruger Number 1 Lipsey 264WM which is a really neat rifle & my Wife has a Creedmoor and a 6.5x55. I may wind up with a 6.5 PRC build, not sure yet. Not sure the demand would be there either but 10 years ago the 6.5 cal. in general commanded a very small market share in America, who would imagined the 6.5 cal. would be such a hot item now. I have considered a Remage also, that would solve the problem of passing down a Wildcat, as I would have a '06 barrel in the safe as well.

Back