Nosler 125gr .308 ballistic tip - physically Inconsistant

Shot

Beginner
Jun 27, 2019
Hi All

I have been shooting for very long but am new to the Nosler Forum and Nosler Bullets.

I just need to know if anyone else has this issue or is there something else going on here - Like counter fitting.

Long story short.

I am busy with a load development for my son with some 125Gr .308 ballistic tip hunter bullets. Shooting them out of a 30-06.
Everything went great. Got a nice node high up with very good groupings. Then all of a sudden grouping issues started happening.

After long head scratching, testing, measuring and re-measuring I came across the issue.
Bullets in my loading bin was running low so I opened a new box of bullets and added some of them to the bin. Found the "new" bullets to have different dimensions than the previous box’s. Most of the dimensions are same (overall length, diameter at the shank, and and) but the measurement to the ogive is different. The "new" bullets are shorter when measured to the ogive. All the bullets in the box have the same measurement so they are constant for all in the box, but diffirent from box to box.

The only difference I could find in the packaging is on the back - Warning area. See Picture below.

Are these both original bullets? If yes and there specs have changed. Which are the new one so I can make sure not to but any of the old stock.

Oh, yes maybe need to mention I am in South Africa.

Attachments

• 20190626_190633.jpg
    20190626_190633.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 462
Welcome to the forum. Yes, I have on occasion run into the issue of significant changes in dimensions with no notification. Don't have an answer, other than to say that it appears to happen, more frequently than it should. As to which are the older bullets, the upper case appears to be what we have available in Canada.

Different lot numbers can also have different readings from base to ogive as well. Would you specify how much have changed from base to ogive with the new box compared to the old box?

Welcome to the forum.

It changed by just under.3mm (If I use an online converter that is 0.01161417 inches) When I use the nr 8 comparator. (hornady comparator - 8 = .30)

If I use the nr 1 insert (1 = .17 which measures just under the polimer tip) there is only a 0.177mm (.0069685 inch) differance.

I would say that it is just the difference between lot numbers. I would load the bullets the same length from base to ogive and see if there was any difference in accuracy. I have not run into this problem but I have not bought any of the .308 125 BTs in a while. I stocked up on them a few years ago and still have a good stock. They are my favorite white tail deer bullet for all my 30 cal. firearms. Just keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps and they are wonderful.

Back