45/70 Nosler Bullet?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Is the 300 grain "CT" / Ballistic Tip the only bullet Nosler makes for the 45/70 anymore?

And... Is that best regarded as a deer bullet? Or would it work out okay for elk & bear?

Thanks, Guy

I think the 45/70 really shines with 400s @ 1900FPS. I’d look to a premium like the Kodak bonded, wood Leigh, north fork, or hawk. To me the 45/70 deserves a heavier bullet than 300gr.

The bulk Remington 405s and Speer 400s make a good practice option to the premium slugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, lots of good alternatives out there. I find myself wishing that Nosler made a heavier bullet for the 45/70, I remember that their long-gone 300 gr Partition was highly respected, but they haven't made that in years.

My last "ultimate 45/70 load" was with the 425 gr cast "Piledriver Junior" from Beartooth bullets. I never did use it on game, but dang, it shot well.

I'm content with my current 350 gr RNSP Hornady load for hunting. Folks have assured me that it's a good bullet for elk & bear. Sure is nice and accurate! :)

I'd like to start making one more load, likely with a cast bullet, at more normal 45/70 velocity... Something that's fun and accurate to shoot and doesn't have the recoil of the upper end loads. I'll get that one figured out.

Meanwhile - just kinda wishing that Nosler made some kind of 350 - 405 gr hunting bullet for it. But, Hornady and Speer do, along with several of the more specialized bullet makers. In the past I used some North Fork and Swift bullets. That 350 gr Swift A-Frame was impressive!

Guy

Nosler 300 CT= deer in my opinion......

I use the 325 Flex tip in mine and the 405 cast in my 45-90 at about 1600 fps

Guy,
The 300 gr BST is a deer bullet, a very good deer bullet.
My daughter and I have taken quite a few deer with the 300 gr BST used in our muzzle loaders and I've also taken a few with my Marlin 1894G 45-70. For bigger/tougher game, I would opt for a different bullet. If you can find some Nosler 300 gr Partitions, grab them! That bullet at 2100 fps was recovered in the 8th water jug. A serious bullet that shoots flater and penetrates deeper than the heavier bullets. Sure wish Nosler would start making them again!

JD338

Thanks all. Ya, JD338, I knew you'd used the 300 gr BST on deer. Nice to know it works well.

I think I'm going to confine myself to one hunting load for the 45/70 Marlin. Right now I'm pretty pleased with the 350 gr RNSP Hornady, but I could get talked into trying something else.

And I need a plinker… So I can shoot the rifle more without beating myself up so much! :)

Guy

wvbuckbuster":28se1oni said:
Guy I know you were wanting a heavier Nosler bullet but what about the Barnes 300 gr? Dan.

That would likely be a fine choice too. (y)

Fellow I know did stop using them from his Marlin 45/70 because of severe copper fouling though. Said it worked great on an elk he shot with it.

Guy

Last year when visiting friends in Joplin MO, I dropped by my favorite gun shop. Apparently, they bought a bunch of bullets from an estate sale and I picked up 2 unopened boxes of .458 300 gr NP's. I've not reloaded any of them yet, but I'm hoping that my Ruger #1 45-70 will shoot them as well as it does 300 gr Speer 300 gr UCHP. It would also be nice if it shoots them close to the same poa. I think both bullets should be fine for deer size game.

Biggs358":311zcwgy said:
Last year when visiting friends in Joplin MO, I dropped by my favorite gun shop. Apparently, they bought a bunch of bullets from an estate sale and I picked up 2 unopened boxes of .458 300 gr NP's. I've not reloaded any of them yet, but I'm hoping that my Ruger #1 45-70 will shoot them as well as it does 300 gr Speer 300 gr UCHP. It would also be nice if it shoots them close to the same poa. I think both bullets should be fine for deer size game.

They shoot identically in 1895 and both of them are complete killers. That 300 grain Speer is a sleeper. Penetrates like crazy and expands real well. The Partitions are excellent too. Just drill bit like penetration.

You scored huge to get a few boxes of them. I’m hoarding my last 200 of them. I need to load a handful of them up for this fall.

Back