test your limit

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
the weather is starting to turn to spring and we hunters and shooters will be hitting the range more often . I thought I'd post this now , so if your interested , you can get an early start . I've done this the past few years and I think it's worth while . I take a target that is big enough to keep my shots on it .I'll put a 12 or 16 inch target on about a 24 inch square cardboard backer . I put this target up at my longest distance that I feel I'm accurate at with this rifle . this would be my max hunting distance using this rifle . every trip to the range I hang the same target at this distance and I only put my first shot of the day on it . my next trip to the range I do the same thing . this will show you cold bore , clean bore , fouled bore , different weather effects , and most of all how consistent the shooter is . I shoot this from a hunting position . by hunting season you'll have a good idea if you are proficient with this rifle , at your max distance . the range I go to is a 500 meter range , 547 yards . if I get there early , I usually have the place to myself . I'll shoot from behind the firing line and I can get about 600 yards . so my target is shot at two distances ,547 yards and 600 yards . depending if I have the range to myself or sharing it with other shooters .if you want to test yourself with two rifles , use two targets . give it a try to test your ability . remember , no do overs , only one shot per day .

I like it, simple version of a log book, and a visual you can keep. I have a steel plate I use at 400 but the record of each shot is gone at the speed of sound.

I like this idea. A lot of people... not naming names... on forums can shoot a lot of tight groups off a rest at range. Every field shooter should practice this sort of technique.

My ranges are pretty tightly controlled so this particular technique will not work for me. I'm limited to a reduced load at a small target in the back yard for such practice, but I give it a go from various shooting positions. Also, the load I do shoot to 600 yards all summer in HP matches has almost identical wind calls to my .280 rem LR load, so that is also useful practice.

Interesting concept :), I shoot a lot off the bench for load development and for confidence. I do not practice alot off hand as I have my bog pod with me on most of my walks or when I am sitting & glassing.
I may have to give this a try. (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Dan , just shoot this target as you would while hunting . Buddy if you like your bog pod , use it because this is how you hunt . last year I shot this target prone using a bipod and a sling , or backpack and sling , with my 7mm rem mag . I used the same target all year for only my first shot , and just put a piece of tape over the bullet hole so I could tell my next hit .

give it a try guys . it will either confirm your good at your max distance or show that you need more practice .

I guess my thoughts are trying for first shot accuracy . I know I only have one shot . a lot of times the very first shot is not my best , but that is my hunting shot . if I flub my wind call , or sight with the wrong BDC hash mark , grab the trigger , twist the turret wrong , or just anything , it's game over just like hunting . if I can't do this on a paper target , I better not shoot at game . I would need to shorten my max hunting distance by getting closer , or practice more . I hope you guys have fun with this . Jim

One should always know how to shoot minute of vitals from an offhand position and know the maximum distance they would be comfortable doing that. My max offhand on a live deer is 75 yards. I feel I'm above 90% probability to that distance. Sitting, prone or field rest I'll go to 300 with my field rig. Offhand is tough. If that trophy of a lifetime, or even some handy freezer meat, happen to step out at 100 yards at the end of a long cold walk...You could flop down to a more stable position or deploy a stabilizing device costing you the shot, or you could snap up your rifle and fire offhand... and miss if you're not prepared. I have taken that shot, and been a little lucky. Now, after several years of competitive offhand shooting I wouldn't. I'd go for the better position and hope the target is still there.

My gut says 90% of hunters will fire the shot offhand, and of those at least 50% will miss or wound. My experience at high power matches bears this out. These are folks experienced and practiced at offhand, with time for prep and careful aim. Even the best rarely put more than 90% 9 ring or better. Practice pays off!

Ya it's pretty humbling to pull that rifle off the bags that just put in several sub moa groups, and proceed to try and put 5 off hand shots on a 7x11 sheet of paper..
I'm not a fan ofthe off hand shot but do practice it, even at 50 yrds with a rim fire is good practice.

for sure fellas , off hand is a tough way to go . I do practice it , but not nearly enough .

I have done first shot groups for years with all my hunting rifles. Usually from a sitting position. The bench is for chronographing and load workups. It will convince you on the value of a good hunting sling and to have your rifle set up to use it.

Back