The Bones Tell the Story...

Fascinating photo. As one of the comments noted, I wonder about colour photo from 1923.

I wouldn't doubt the photo- it stated found several years ago- could be well after the advent of color film. What I am skeptical about is that those bones would have been around - exposed since 1923. Coyotes, wolves and weather would have rendered them to dust long ago- I would think. Your right still a cool story. I read a story (fiction) some years back in an RMEF magazine. Story told of a pioneer woman who, having lost her husband to illness was forced to hunt for elk in the winter. Final scene from the story told of another finding her gold necklace, part of her rifle and spike antlers in a dead fall many years later. Wish I had kept a copy, or could remember the author, riveting story. Many tales lost to history in the west. CL

Funny how stuff can end. One of the biggest poachers that ever lived around here, raised his family on illegal moose meat. He had certainly killed dozens of them over
The 50 or so years he hunted them. He loved to tease the
Game Wardens about how much better poached meat tasted than a legal one tasted! And was locally know as the "wardens worry". Ironically he met his own end and
Died tragically when he struck a bull moose one foggy nite! Returning home
from a fellow poachers birthday party. The last thing he said just before leaving that nite, was jokingly. " perhaps I will get a whack at one on the way home; I am almost out of meat". So one never knows........... :shock:Mgim8OG.jpg

35 Whelen":3kk3a6kk said:
Funny how stuff can end. One of the biggest poachers that ever lived around here, raised his family on illegal moose meat. He had certainly killed dozens of them over
The 50 or so years he hunted them. He loved to tease the
Game Wardens about how much better poached meat tasted than a legal one tasted! And was loyally know as
the "wardens worry". Ironically he met his own end and
Died tragically when he struck a bull moose one foggy nite! Returning home
from a fellow poachers birthday party. The last thing he said just before leaving that nite, was jokingly" perhaps I will get a whack at one on the way home; I am almost out of meat! So one never knows........... :shock:
Nothing tragic at all about that. Seems like good karma to me.

The name of this post is ironic for a person I know who though not a poacher always said if a deer ran out in front of him while he was driving his truck he would hit it to kill it for the meat.
He had his chance one night and totaled his truck and was lucky to live to tell the story.
He said he never knew a stinking deer could do so much damage. :)>)

I personally know a fellow here in Regina that tangled with a 2 or 3 year old bull and lived to tell the part of the story he remembers.
They were up in northern Saskatchewan and were hunting when he shot a young bull and wounded it so he waited for his partner show up and then went on a search. His partner took one trail and him there other. Well only about 100 yards down the trail he had the Moose facing him and it a split second the Moose charged and he didn't even have time to shoulder his rifle, he shot from the hip missing the Moose and he was flattened by the Moose. His partner heard the shot and got to the trail just in time to see the Moose turn around and was coming for a seconded pass. The partner but a 300gr. bullet from his 375 H&H right between the bull's eyes and finished the bull.
The guy that originally shot the Moose spent almost a week in the hospital with a broken nose, skull fracture and if I remember right about 25 stitches over his left eye.
They are a very large animal and if wounded I know that they would one scaring adversary :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back