Feel good moment

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
Yesterday morning I had the chance to experience a "feel good moment".

It all started Sunday evening when a neighboring small land owner came to the door to tell me that he had arrowed a buck that late afternoon but that the buck ran away when he went to approach it. He thought that it probably ran over onto my property and asked permission to look for it the next (Monday) morning. I told him that I would go with him.

So Monday morning I get up early and get the tractor out and put a riding platform on the 3 point hitch and waited for him to show up. When he arrived I drove up through my property to where our mutual line fence is. Then he showed me the scene of the shot and where he had last seen the buck and what direction it was headed.

The crux of the issue is that he didn't wait long enough after the shot before he went looking for the deer. He only waited long enough to pack up his stuff and get out of the tree stand. The buck was only yards from where he had hit it. It probably would have expired right there if my neighbor hadn't pushed it.

It had rained about .4" Sunday night and there was NO blood sign. Anyway, I was pretty sure I knew the escape route the buck would take and the area it would head for. There were breaks in the stone wall between our properties so there were only a few trails across the wall that lead to the area I thought the buck would head for. So, we started with the southern most of these trails and followed it out to where the woods ended. Then we came back and picked up another trail leading from the next break in the stone wall. From there we followed branches of the trail through the thickest, nastiest brush and briars one could imagine. On the third branch I found the buck laying in a tiny little clearing in the middle of a five acre tangle.

I called the neighbor over and when he saw the buck he was ecstatic. I don't think I ever saw such a outpouring of relief and gratitude in my life. He said that he never would have found that deer on his own.

Dan

Glad you were able to find the buck. A great ending.

JD338

Well done. Your neighbor is fortunate to have you as a neighbor! Good neighbors are invaluable.
Duane

That is a good story. Easy to get too aggressive trying to recover a deer.
My unqualified rule of thumb is wait 30 minutes on a good shot.

Much better to wait 30 minutes, follow the blood, find the body. Vs getting up early hoping it didn’t rain and do the needle in the haystack thing.

Great job Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good work using your knowledge of the land and the deer, then forming a plan and following through with it. And kudos for helping out a friend. Being "Neighborly" is fading away...Glad he got his buck..I used to jump down and start looking for blood right away, and usually ended up making long tracks and a few lost deer not realizing I was just pushing them..15 or so years ago I started giving arrowed deer an hour to expire and usually I find them within 75 yards of where they were hit.

Finding game can be a challenge. Sounds as if you have a thorough knowledge of your property and an understanding of deer behaviour that allowed you to quickly find the deer. Good job, for sure. Always great to help a neighbour.

Good job Dan, it is nice to see when an outdoors-man can use his knowledge in helping a fellow hunter (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Good job!
Just curious - I read it is illegal to trail game with dogs in some states. Is that true?
Over here, just must have a trained dog available if you lease hunting-grounds. Mine found me some animals in thick brush a few times and you could see in her face that she enjoys it.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":14ttoubo said:
Good job!
Just curious - I read it is illegal to trail game with dogs in some states. Is that true?
Over here, just must have a trained dog available if you lease hunting-grounds. Mine found me some animals in thick brush a few times and you could see in her face that she enjoys it.

In the US it is a state by state thing. In New York State, you can not HUNT deer with a dog. That is you can't use a dog to chase a deer to you. However, you can use a dog to track a wounded deer. There is a volunteer group in this area that will track a wounded deer for you. But, they are volunteers and maybe not be available when you need them.

I believe other states allow dogs to chase deer to hunters. I think I heard of it in some of the southern states where they hunt deer in thick cover and shoot them with buck shot.

Dan

Back