35 cal 275 gr Woodleigh PP

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Here is the 275 gr Woodleigh Protected Point fired from a 35 Whelen at 2460 fps. It deflected out after 5 jugs and even though I had jugs set on either side near the back it still missed them all. It was behind the remaining jugs on the ground, I have no idea how it made it past without damaging the rest of the jugs. Looks like it will open well at 35 Whelen speeds......

275 gr Woodleigh PP - 2463 fps - 258 gr (93.8%) deflected out after 5 jugs and was found on the ground. It obviously tumbled and is 1.06" at the widest point, going the other way where it looks more normal it is .96"

Impressive looking bullet. This one makes the 35 Whelen a serious hammer for the biggest of game.

JD338

I should think that will put a big hurt on about anything shot with your Whelen, Gerry. Impressive, to be sure.

I'm surprised it opens so wide, it should open up a good wound channel on large game here like moose and grizzly.

I can remember when I was a kid back in the 1960's some of the old timers saying give me a big slow moving bullet for a clean kill any time over the then fast moving 270 Win and Weatherby magnums . Back in the day they were all meat hunters but did appreciate a nice rack. Only the rich could afford a Weatherby and you didn't see many of them until the 1970's.

Jerry that will get the job done for sure. Might have to get a box to see if they will stabilize in a 1-16 twist.

That looks impressive Gerry!..Looks like a very serious bullet pal!
Lou

Man, my eyes lit up when I saw this post! Very cool stuff Gerry!

That bullets looks really good. Another one of those good ones. I bet it would be fearsome in your 358 Norma. I really dig them big 270-275 class bullets from the big 35's and heck, even the Whelen does really well with them. Those bullets really put the Whelen and others in the 375 class for opening up wound channels.

I still have about 15 of the 270 Northforks as well. Might need to load up another handful of them and see what they do for accuracy.

How did the 275 Woodleighs shoot?

I was very impressed with the 348 Winchester and 250 Woodleigh.. Seems them Aussies make some very good bullets.

Yes they do make some great bullets. I too like the 270-280 gr bullets for the bigger 35 caliber cartridges, someone just needs to run the 280 gr Swift now to see what they will do :) Accuracy looks pretty good at 1" at 100 yards, I bet is could do better easily but for a short to medium range load it is more than enough.

Rodger I have read some reports of the 310 gr Woodleigh stabilizing in a 1 in 16 twist and others not being able to do it so your gun may or may not do it. The 250 gr PT is hard to beat though in any bigger 35 cal but it is nice to know there are other excellent bullets to use.

I'll try the Swifts but I know the good doctor is using them I believe. We need to try and coax him to take along 8-9 water jugs to the range. I bet Noah would enjoy it too!

I have to recycle the water jugs, so no shooting them up. Heck, they're worth a nickel apiece. :grin:

You can still recycle them after you shoot them. We recycle plastic but don't get paid for it.

We don't get paid for them either. We buy them and if we return them we get our money back.

Is it legal to send plastic jugs to Canada? Maybe we could scrape up a few if you promise not to turn them in for cash. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Send them on up, Rodger! :mrgreen: Heaven knows we will sell them at some point.

Gerry, That Woodleigh looks like some serious bad medicine for some big critter.

Back