New to me mark X 30/06

DrMike":6tqvwp9y said:
SJB358":6tqvwp9y said:
Guy Miner":6tqvwp9y said:
If you do decide you'd rather have it chambered for something larger... A re-bore and re-chamber for:

338-06
35 Whelen
9.3x62

Any of those should be very easy to accomplish and would be awesome on that wonderful Mauser!

Guy

Or a 400 Whelen should you want a DG rifle....

But, why would you alter a fine .30-06 Springfield? That cartridge will handle everything in North America, and most of the world. (y)
That is true DrMike! Most likely gonna keep it as is. I really need to play with the 30/06 some, just because I’ve honestly never messed with that cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had one of those years ago and it was the first bolt gun I started loading for. Don't remember the load but do remember it was a good shooter. Just can't remember what I traded for it? :roll: Dan.

Score! That's a good one Cleveland! And unless you're shooting real far, you will not be disappointed in the least with the 06 and 150's on whitetails!

My dad is a lifelong devote of the 30/06. I’ve seen him kill deer with everything from 55 grain accelerators up through the 180 grain weights. He finally told me I got some sense after playing and loading for some oddballs lol.

1100 Remington Man":1mnfxwnl said:
Very nice score on a very nice rifle, that was a very good deal.
Thanks! Gonna try her out this weekend when our rifle season opens.

Today I chronographed the 150 grain American Whitetail ammo through the 30/06. Surprisingly it’s velocity was 2940 fps with an SD of 11 fps, and ES of 21 fps. This was with five rounds, so I though that was pretty dang good for factory ammo. Then I decided to take the last two rounds from that box and go out to the 512 yard 8” steel plate. Trying the leupold tri-moa reticle out. Plugged in all the data into my ballistic app. Came up with 11.4 MOA, the reticle only goes to 10 moa. There was actually no wind either. I held the 10 moa at the top of the 8” plate, and to my surprise hit the plate both times. So I’m very happy with this rifle to say the least [emoji16], and don’t think I’ll be changing anything on it anytime soon lol.

Cleveland48":3ksmw5eg said:
Today I chronographed the 150 grain American Whitetail ammo through the 30/06. Surprisingly it’s velocity was 2940 fps with an SD of 11 fps, and ES of 21 fps. This was with five rounds, so I though that was pretty dang good for factory ammo. Then I decided to take the last two rounds from that box and go out to the 512 yard 8” steel plate. Trying the leupold tri-moa reticle out. Plugged in all the data into my ballistic app. Came up with 11.4 MOA, the reticle only goes to 10 moa. There was actually no wind either. I held the 10 moa at the top of the 8” plate, and to my surprise hit the plate both times. So I’m very happy with this rifle to say the least [emoji16], and don’t think I’ll be changing anything on it anytime soon lol.

That's awesome!
You definitely have a shooter!
I wouldn't change anything about it either.
As others have said, it will do everything on this continent.
Use the right bullet for the job intended, and it won't let you down.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Hornady ammo has been getting better. They've never been bad, or normal, like Remington, or Winchester.
Hornady's tolerances are top notch, and they've been making some outstanding advancement in bullet technology.
The 24 inch barrel on your rifle aids quite a bit in upping velocities too, along with having a really good chamber, which I'm thinking you have as well.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

That's pretty danged nice Cleveland! Almost getting hard to load standard stuff like the 30-06, 270, 308, 6.5 CM as the factory ammo is so doggoned good!

For sure, much of the factory ammo available today is excellent quality. It is difficult to better it in many instances.

Excellent velocity and accuracy from that ammo!

Congrats - you've got a winner with that 30-06 Mark X rifle!

Guy

Excellent Cleveland! You got a good one!

I've said it before, it's hard to beat todays factory ammo. They do a very good job of getting respectable if not top velocities, and their consistency today takes some doing to duplicate on the reloading bench.

Main reason for reloading today is some savings and the pride of rolling your own. Performance wise, you're not going to get much of an edge over factory ammo except for non mainstream cartridges like the 8mm, etc.

Thanks guys, and y’all are right it’s pretty hard to beat factory stuff. My target loads only get an SD of about 6 fps, and these were 11 fps. So not a whole lot of difference.

Congrats on a fine rifle !

My dad bought one of them in 1972 in '06 and gave it to me for my 10th birthday.
Told me it was the only rifle I would ever need.
I killed my only elk with it and I can't tell you how many whitetail tags it has filled.
Mine likes RL22 and 165 BTs.

Howard

HTDUCK":34g89g9q said:
Congrats on a fine rifle !

My dad bought one of them in 1972 in '06 and gave it to me for my 10th birthday.
Told me it was the only rifle I would ever need.
I killed my only elk with it and I can't tell you how many whitetail tags it has filled.
Mine likes RL22 and 165 BTs.

Howard
That's great. I'll have to try some handloads this summer. And it'll be with the 165 grain. Either BT or PT. I have used a bunch of RL22 when I had a 270.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Zastava 30-06 Has a high quality Hammer forged barrel. Most have Adjustable triggers and yours looks like it has a good stock. It has a date stamped just in front of bolt on action. Might be below wood line. The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was exactly like the Zastava you acquired.

baltz526":1zqsf3vs said:
The Zastava 30-06 Has a high quality Hammer forged barrel. Most have Adjustable triggers and yours looks like it has a good stock. It has a date stamped just in front of bolt on action. Might be below wood line. The most accurate rifle I have ever owned was exactly like the Zastava you acquired.
It does seem to have a good barrel. Also has some very nice bluing also. I'll see what I can find about the date. I know the older ones had the magazine release inside the trigger guard, instead of in front of it on the side like mine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Actually they had all three depending on which stock they came with. Three stocks where on the ones I have seen or owned. The type on your 30-06, Then one a bit plainer and a synthetic. Then there where the barreled actions with after market stocks.

Back