Rem Triggers

cacj7

Beginner
Sep 27, 2005
I have a Rem. model 7 in 260 and would like to lighten up the trigger some. I thought maybe a Timney and then read Rem makes a good trigger. The adjustment is not that difficult to do for a novice.Has anyone done this and/or offer any advice?

There are instructions on the net on how to adjust the trigger. Easy to do but also just as easy to set it wrong. Unless you totally understand sear engagement, don't adjust the screw on the back of the trigger and don't try to adjust the poundage too low.Rick.

Thanks,the info was helpful.I mainly just want to bring the trigger down to 3lbs. or so.It works good now just a little heavy.That and work a load up is going to my winter project Thanks again David

I did an adjustment on my new 700, and it is a sweet 2-3/4 lbs now which is 4lbs less that it came from the factory.

I love the timney on my Winchester but I always adjust my Rem triggers. They are very adjustable and just as good as a timney.

I got my directions on how to adjust rem triggers off snipersparadise. I was 15 when I worked on my first rem trigger. WIth detailed pictures and instructions, along with a little common sense, its not all that hard to adjust a rem trigger. You can safely and reliably get them down to about 2.25# to 2.5#. My 222 is down to 2.25, and my 300 RUM I got down to 2.5#. I check them by slamming the bolt as hard as I could several times, firing pin never went off. Next thing to try is slamming the butt of the rifle on the ground. Once again I have no problems. Rem triggers are great, there is no need to spend 70 bux when you can do it yourself for a couple hours of your time.

Remington triggers are easy to adjust. Be carefull to keep enough sear engagement and don't set the overtravel to tight, or you'll end up with a hang fire (gun goes "click" but doesn't fire until you lift the bolt handle). Very dangerous situation for shooter and gun.

A couple of years ago I bought a new 700 short action receiver from Brownells to build my wife's rifle. All three adjustment screws were staked solid from the factory. I drilled them out but the trigger was never right. Lucky woman ended up with a Jewel trigger.

Back