1/2 inch at 200 yards

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
And with a new shooter! My friend, who took to shooting with me about a year and a half ago, and I went to the range this morning. It was a little chillier than it appeared, but we shot three different rifles at 100, 200 and 300 yards; a .17 HMR (only to 200 yds), a .204 Ruger, and my old SWAT rifle, the .308 Win "Green Machine."

.204 CZ rifle:

With the Green Machine. Handload is 44.5 gr Varget and a 155 grain HPBT match bullet from some upstart bullet company called Nosler.... ;)

And here's what a new shooter, a good rifle, a good load can do at 200 yards, ya, that's under a 1/2" spread, from a bipod. Dang. She was so doggone happy & excited. We were running low on .308 ammo, and I wasn't about to let her open that three-shot group up! :) We did do a little more shooting. BTW, she really liked the Vortex scope that I'm slowly learning to like.

It's gratifying to see a new shooter develop good skills & safety habits so quickly. She's pretty hot stuff with her .45 1911 too.

Regards, Guy

Wow! Just once (an outing) :) I wish I could do something like that. Nice shooting . Better than I did today... at 100. CL

Nicely done. Congratulations to the new shooter and her coach.

JD338

That has to be a real confidence builder for you, and for you. You are correct that a good rifle and a good load coupled with careful riflery produces groups of which anyone can be proud. Keep up the good work, Guy.

Outstanding shooting! Was that without a rear bag, I could not tell for sure by the picture?

Ya, no rear bag, and I've NEVER shot that well at 200 yards... Dang...

Thanks guys. Next up with her: a discussion about why that great group was so far away from the bullseye... Sheesh!

Watching through the spotting scope, I was silently cracking up as she pounded those three shots almost on top of each other, several inches below the designated point of aim... Beats me... But it's a great group! :mrgreen:

All of us on this website could stand to take some shooting lessons from her. How do I sign my wife up for her shooting clinic?
Guy: on a side note, you said that you didn't want her to enlarge that group. I think that she would either stacked the bullet holes or make one tiny cloverleaf. Are you afraid to have the student put her teacher into place? :shock: 8) :mrgreen:
Keith

Keith - she already out-shot me at 200 yards! (y)

Now, we do have to have a little chat about shot-placement, 'cause that group was quite a ways below the bullseye... But, I do like the group size, a lot.

Interestingly, I'd just come up with this somewhat reduced power load, 44.5 grains of Varget under the 155 grain bullet, down a couple of grains from my normal load. Looks like I may have stumbled onto a more accurate load.

Or, I can be honest, and just say she's a better shot? :mrgreen:

It's been a hoot, watching her skills & knowledge improve. She only started shooting about a year and a half ago, primarily with handguns, but she's getting the hang of this rifle stuff too.

Regards, Guy

Guy, if you had not shot that load before, perhaps that was the correct impact point. Another thought is, what is the rifle's zero? Or could it be a combination of both?

Elkman":1sg7y9i9 said:
Guy, if you had not shot that load before, perhaps that was the correct impact point. Another thought is, what is the rifle's zero? Or could it be a combination of both?

It's dead-on at 100 yards, but... She's only shot this rifle a few times. Who knows? We'll be shooting again soon.

She sure showed me that she can hold steady and press that trigger gently and produce a great group.

Guy

Back