TC Icon in 30TC??

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
What do y'all think of this rifle and caliber? A local store has two they never could sale marked at $400 each. They feel great and I like a lot of the features the icon came out with. Not crazy about 30 cal cartridges in general. And the 30 TC is practically dead lol. But I handloads all my rifles and I'm sure you could make brass from 6.5 CM or 308 quite easily. I just really like that rifle though feels very well made. So im torn haha. I would use the 30 Tc cartridge without hesitation just ain't my cup of tea though. But the old reviews I read had some great accuracy when it was tested. What y'all think ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Icon was/is a fine rifle. The cartridge, as you noted, is dead. It added nothing to existing .30 caliber cartridges and was less than expected from the more common variety.

Yeah that's the only thing I don't like, about it. I'm sure reloading would still be fine even if they stop producing brass. I've never been crazy about any of the 30 calibers anyways. Also a tikka T3 light in 25/06, and I've always loved the 25/06. It's priced at $475. I don't really know much about tikka value,so I don't know if that's a great price or average price. That icon sure is nice though. If it was chambered in 7mm08 it would have road home with me today lol. Well if it was chambered in anything other than 30 TC or 308 win it would have road home with me!

You could always have it rechambered to something you wanted to play with. The Tikka sounds like a good price. Tikkas hold their value, so I wouldn't think that you would lose on it.

When a new rifle, handgun or shotgun catches my eye...

I've learned to rein in my excitement and ask myself "What will this firearm do for me, that I can't already do?"

Will this T/C Icon in a rare .30 caliber cartridge do anything for you, afield or on the range, that you can't already do?

Guy

Guy Miner":2ewn0gdu said:
When a new rifle, handgun or shotgun catches my eye...

I've learned to rein in my excitement and ask myself "What will this firearm do for me, that I can't already do?"

Will this T/C Icon in a rare .30 caliber cartridge do anything for you, afield or on the range, that you can't already do?

Guy

Good point Guy. I mean it may or may not be a tack driver and look good, but I honestly don't see how it could really outshoot my current Howa 6.5 CM honestly. I guess I'm just eying a lighter weight hunting rifle cause that heavy barrel Howa is heavy lol. I think I'm just getting the urge because Friday and Saturday is Mississippi 2nd amendment tax free weekend and my wallet is burning a whole in my pocket lol. Really thinking I should just call JES and see about getting my old Mauser rebored to 9.3x62 because I know that would make me happy [emoji16]

Run, don't walk, to that 25-06. Trust me on this, you'll be very happy with both the rifle and cartridge.

Ron

Years ago I read an article on the TC Icon. Typical "gun rag" article outlined features etc. but what stuck in my mind was the "5R rifling" and the obligatory accuracy testing that accompanied the article. I think there were probably 6 ammo types tested and 4 of them grouped well under an inch. Don't quote me on those numbers but that was the gist of it. Impressed me.... You here good things about those rifles. At that price it piques ones interest. My point, finally is this: The Icon will likely shoot in whatever caliber you find it. Do you want to shoot the obscure and reload etc. and as Guy said will something you already own do what it does?

I shoot and reload the 250 Savage so I am guilty. The 243 does everything it does.... but what fun is that? :) CL

rjm158":4v83o63a said:
Run, don't walk, to that 25-06. Trust me on this, you'll be very happy with both the rifle and cartridge.

Ron

Ya, I hadn't gotten to commenting on the 25-06 Tikka... Those rifles have a GREAT reputation, and I'm a well-known 25-06 addict. Love 'em for mule deer, pronghorn and coyotes.

Would feel just fine using one on elk, with the 115 gr Nosler Partition which I've shot at 3190 fps with sub MOA accuracy. The 25-06 is usually an easy cartridge to work with, and the Tikka has an excellent reputation for accuracy.

Guy

yesterdays mail had a sales flier from my local gun shop . it has a few TC rifles in it . it shows TC is having a $75 rebate , not sure if it's on the icon though .

I have had an interest in the 25/06 for a long time. My brother has owned a few rifles in that caliber. I always like shooting them, and they were great performing on deer.

I fully acknowledge my deer hunting experience is less than others on here, mainly because I started hunting them later in life. But, of all the calibers I've used to kill deer, none have consistently put deer on the ground, right now, bang-flop, than the 25-06. 100 gr BT's over IMR-4831 pulls the rug out from under them more often than not and I've never failed to have a pass through. I like to experiment with different calibers each season but my go to rifles are my Sauer 202 and Tikka T-3 in 25-06.

My Tikka's have been stellar performers and it's easy to find a load they, and you, will like.

Ron

rjm158":3n1vpsbi said:
I fully acknowledge my deer hunting experience is less than others on here, mainly because I started hunting them later in life. But, of all the calibers I've used to kill deer, none have consistently put deer on the ground, right now, bang-flop, than the 25-06. 100 gr BT's over IMR-4831 pulls the rug out from under them more often than not and I've never failed to have a pass through. I like to experiment with different calibers each season but my go to rifles are my Sauer 202 and Tikka T-3 in 25-06.

My Tikka's have been stellar performers and it's easy to find a load they, and you, will like.

Ron

Yes it hammers them. I've watched my brother shoot several with that caliber. I think it performs great. I believe it and the 270 win are a close race for the two best whitetail deer calibers.

The Icons are nice guns from what I've seen, but have never owned one. I have two Tikkas, so you can guess my vote. I've never had a 25-06, but think that I'd like one very much. That's a good price on the Tikka. Let us know what you end up with. BN

The 30 TC can really become anything you want. I think they were great rifles that couldn't be made at the price they asked. Good wood, solid actions and great barrels.

The Tikka is a sleeper as well. Really won't be much to make one shoot. I like mine so far. It isn't a 70, but it has been very nice to work with. Flip a coin.

Gonna put the new rifle on hold for now. If they are still there in a few months I may still grab that tikka. I talked to Jessie at JES reboring today. I'm gonna send in my old Mauser brush gun and have it chambered in 9.3x62. I'd rather fix that old gun up first because I really like that rifle, and I've wanted that caliber for thicket hunting for a long time. I'll be sending it too him Monday afternoon.

Get a few boxes of the 286gr nosler partitions. Best bullet out there for the 9.3x62

Been looking into that. Seems to be about the most popular 9.3 bullet

Chiming in late, but will do it anyway. If you wanted to add a 30 cal rifle to your arsenal and are a reloader, I'd recommend you buy that TC Icon in a heartbeat. I've got an Icon in 6.5 Creedmoor, and would buy another Icon w/o hesitation. (In fact, if I ever choose to buy another recent production bolt action rifle, my search will start with a used TC Icon.) From an accuracy standpoint, to date I've been shooting 3 different factory loads in my 6.5 Creedmoor, and each has measured groups out at 0.3, 0.3, and 0.375 MOA, respectively. For the price, I'm not aware of any rifle that offers as many features as the Icon. Very solid, tight tolerance, and smooth action; best trigger of any factory rifle I've used (consistent, no creep, breaks clean and crisp, and easily adjustable); 5R rifling (which in some circles is a big deal -- all I know is the entire package they put together has a reputation for accuracy that I can't dispute); integral weaver style mounts; and a rifle that has very nice balance in my hands. I like the wood they use in their wood stocked models, and I really like the feel of the composite stock they use in their Weathershield model. (I've got the laminated Precision Hunter model so can't really comment on weight of the sporter models, but my recollection is that there are lighter rifles out there if rifle weight is a big factor.)

That icon was a very well made rifle. It's still in danger of being picked up by me lol.

Back