6mm or 25-06??

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Those of you remotely familiar with my obsession with rifles and or my battery knows I do not need another one. I certainly have no gap ANYWHERE as far as rifle calibers are concerned.

That said I have been thinking of getting a NON-magnum for coyotes and or antelope or just for shooting at rocks (Hell what do I know anymore?)

I have had a few of each and like them both but can not decide. I can say if I get the 25-06 it will be a bolt action. If I get the 6mm rem, it will be probably (dare I say it?) a Ruger 1B if I can find a reasonably priced one. All the bolts I have seen in 6mm look like they have been through 2 world wars and prices are crazy.

The 6mm will wind up costing quite a bit more----but it is a #1 after all. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The 25-06 will be considerably cheaper but a bolt. (Maker is reputed as making accurate guns, limited edition, $300 off regular price, 26" barrel and a 10% rebate :shock: )

So convince me, friends!

Sure complicate things even more

I have always desired a 6mm but I opted for a 257 Roberts and have never looked at anything else for varmints or shooting rocks. If you think you need more you can always have it turned into an Ackely and get 25-06 velocities out of it but in it's original design it's hard to beat if it's twisted right with a 26" barrel.
Mine is a custom barreled M725 Remington with a 26" Douglas XX air gauge barrel sporter weight contour 1-12" twist. It won't handle the long 120gr bullets but I don't need them since the barrel is twisted for 115gr and lighter bullets and the 100gr is just about perfect in it though I shoot a lot of light for caliber bullets threw it 75gr to 90gr. With the new mono bullets you don't need anything heavier then 100gr and with proper bullet placement I think I could use it for Elk but not at extended ranges. It would also make an excellent Antelope rifle also.
I would get one built on a long action so you can take advantage of seating the bullets out where they belong. My M725 was a 30-06 before I wore the barrel out and I kept it in the original factory stock since it fit me so well, metal butt plate and all.
As much as I like my 30-06 it would be hard for me to choose between them if I had to choose between them and could only keep one.

I vote 6mm in this case Fotis. I love the 25-06 a bunch these days. Great cartridge but I think it’s more of a deer killer than strict varmints.

A 6mm Rem or similar twisted right has sooooo many great options out there. Plus it shouldn’t punch hard and really be a lot of fun to shoot.

Lets talk about 'GAP' . Seriously i would go with the 25, most of the coyotes i have taken in the last three years have required a second, (finisher) shot (i am using my .308). A bolt is quicker for the second shot. In addition if accuracy is really important, the bolts typically are more accurate than the Number 1's. So now you have my .02. Now can we talk about gap?

I've had both and there's not much difference between them. For mostly coyotes and the occasional antelope the 6mm may be more fun. The 25-06 packs more punch along with more muzzle blast and recoil but the 6mm has a edge on accuracy. You have a better selection of 6mm and 6.5mm bullets that are more accurate than .257 . I would build a rifle for one of the 6.5s before I would for the 25-06.
Billy

Guess it depends on you bullet desires 55gn to 105gn vs 60gn to 125gn.
I looked at Hornady and Nosler line up. Between the two I have killer bullets in either caliber with the VMax and NBT/NAB/NpT. I like the 06 brass more than the 08 family. I’d pick the 25-06, the 257 Roberts, or Savage 250-3000( hi CL [emoji106]).
Seriously I am considering a 257Wby. Let us know what you pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to go wrong with either. For everyday plinking and varmiting I'd probably go with the 6mm. It fits that niche very well.

I just settled on the .243 for my pick, same parameters as yours fotis! ha I admit, the little Sako Forester its in was the "deal clincher". I "almost" bought the very #1 you are looking for...10 years ago over here, ha. But I had another rifle project in mind and for me, I actually prefer the 1-S Medium #1s over the Bs. Fellow wanted $600 for it back then.

Fotis I would have to say the 6mm Remington! I love that cartridge and I've taken a lot of coyotes, antelope, and deer with it to include one spike bull.

As you know I have a Ruger 1B in 6mm and it is a shooter. All I've ever loaded in it are 100 gr. Nosler Partitions and it will shoot three touching at 100 yards using IMR4350. The rifle has a fixed 6x42mm Leupold scope on it.

My son was given my Remington 600 6mm when he was old enough to hunt, and later we got him a Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington so that he would have the Model 600 to give to one of his kids when he started a family. The model 600 shoots good, but as you know it's hampered by the short action of Remington's that keeps the loaded length to 2.825". The Ruger has a longer action and magazine and the bullets can be seated clear out to 3.000". That is why I chose the Ruger for the longer length and the fact they build a really nice bolt rifle. I like the classic Mauser features and love their scope mounting system. This rifle shoots very well also. Using 90 gr. E-tips in it currently and they sure are a fantastic bullet.

Good luck in finding a 1B. They are worth it!

What's this "or" stuff?

Have one of each in my safe and recommend you do the same!

Guy

.25/06 and 6mm Rem..... two of my all-time favorite cartridges. I’ve killed literally multiple truckloads of coyotes with both. For a long time, the 85 NBT at 3500 was my load of choice... and it thumped coyotes with authority. Then I went 6mm Rem, and either 87 Vmax at 3350 or 55 NBT at 4100+... and that gun killed more WA coyotes than mange for about a 5 year stretch.

If we’re talking purely coyotes.... I much prefer the 6mm Rem. You can warp-speed a 55... and then turn around and shoot a .500+ BC at over 3000 fps. You can’t do either of those with a .25/06.

To be honest though.... I wouldn’t go 6mm Rem.... I’d go straight .243... or, if you’re into that whole hipster thing... 6 Creed.

6mm is cool.... but it’s not nearly as practical as a .243.

I have the 6mm in the #1 and bolt . I also have the 25-06 in #1 and bolt. I use the 25-06 bolt the most.

Elkman":22s6tcfq said:
Lets talk about 'GAP' . Seriously i would go with the 25, most of the coyotes i have taken in the last three years have required a second, (finisher) shot (i am using my .308). A bolt is quicker for the second shot. In addition if accuracy is really important, the bolts typically are more accurate than the Number 1's. So now you have my .02. Now can we talk about gap?

OK Gap, at least in the lower part of the scale, I have:
222-Sporter
223 Heavy Ruger #1v
22-250 Heavy Savage BBL
204 Heavy Savage BBL
17 hornet- sporter
220 swift- heavy BBL Rem 700 VSSF

240 Bee - MK Deluxe
257 Bee - Fibermark MKV
6.5 Creed - Super heavy Long range precision Savage--12 lbs

See not really a Gap there---- But I just feel comfortable throwing the 240 Deluxe in the truck as an opportunity rifle.

If I recall correctly you were impressed with some quickload numbers for the 25-06? Seems to me like you have your answer, and you've got some .25 bullets left over from the 257 Wby. 'Specially if you are lookin for a "beater". In wyo you can find a 25-06, Im thinkin'. CL

I had a Remington Sendero in 25-06 -- great rifle. It was extremely accurate and a ball to shoot. I kept it for 5-6 years, during which time it was my primary coyote and varmint rifle. As much fun as it was, I traded it off because the muzzle blast and barrel jump made it tough to see bullet impact on squirrels and rock chucks as well as follow up shots on coyotes. I'd opt for the 6 mm in the application you noted.

Fotis OK Gap, at least in the lower part of the scale, I have:
222-Sporter
223 Heavy Ruger #1v
22-250 Heavy Savage BBL
204 Heavy Savage BBL
17 hornet- sporter
220 swift- heavy BBL Rem 700 VSSF

240 Bee - MK Deluxe
257 Bee - Fibermark MKV
6.5 Creed - Super heavy Long range precision Savage--12 lbs
Some how I knew that (y)

I vote for both. Then come back in a few months and tell us which one you shot the most.

6x47 Lapula; 8 twist 30" pipe, with Berger 105grn, BC .556's and let em rip potatoe chip!
Song dog; your stacking em pretty deep there in Co, how large are those trucks your loading with
Coyotes? Would this one hold em all???IMG_2178.JPG :mrgreen:

Back