Sako 75-5 300WBY

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Long time no post. Hope everyone is doing well. I have a Sako 75-5 in 300wby that I would like to mess around with. Thinking it would be a great long distance rifle. It currently shoots 180 AccuBonds very well. Thinking about putting a McMillian stock on it and a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 scope on it. My hope is to be able to dial out to 600 for elk and 800 for target shooting.

If you have any thoughts about the project on how I can make it better, please let me know.

Thanks

wisconsinteacher":3ge20mci said:
Long time no post. Hope everyone is doing well. I have a Sako 75-5 in 300wby that I would like to mess around with. Thinking it would be a great long distance rifle. It currently shoots 180 AccuBonds very well. Thinking about putting a McMillian stock on it and a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 scope on it. My hope is to be able to dial out to 600 for elk and 800 for target shooting.

If you have any thoughts about the project on how I can make it better, please let me know.

Thanks

I think you’re on the right path Matt. I can’t see anything wrong with that combo. I’d probably chop 2” off the barrel but other than that it sounds perfect.

What is it currently scoped with? I just picked up a ziess hd5 3x15 I'm really happy with. If you already have 1"rings it saves from having to pay for 30mm

Before you invest in a scope ensure your rifle's ejected shells will clear scope caps / turrets of different height!

Take a look at the HS Precision Hunter stock.
It has an aluminum bedding block embedded into the stock so all you need to do is bolt it on and you are good to go. The design is very robust yet durable and stable.
I have this very stock on my rebarreled 338 RUM and it's shooting the 250 gr AB into 2" groups at 800 yards.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20190810_203649546.jpg
    IMG_20190810_203649546.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 436
So, what are you thinking WT? I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Back