Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:33 pm 

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29 pm
Posts: 3
I have a .308 savage 116. I am getting into reloading am was wondering what would be a good load for bear/moose
Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:10 pm
Posts: 5715
Location: British Columbia
ghost1324 wrote:
I have a .308 savage 116. I am getting into reloading am was wondering what would be a good load for bear/moose
Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

I would look at premium 165-180 gr bullets like the Accubond, Partition, Swift A frame, Scirocco and the like and you will be good to go. Look at Varget, RL 15, H 4895 and similar burn rates and you'll be good. A young relative of mine and myself are working up a load with the 165 gr Accubond and Partition right now for the exact same purpose. As soon as we are out of quarantine we'll continue load development.

What area are you going to be hunting in?

_________________
Saving the world one 35 Whelen at a time :)


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:51 pm 

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29 pm
Posts: 3
gerry wrote:
ghost1324 wrote:
I have a .308 savage 116. I am getting into reloading am was wondering what would be a good load for bear/moose
Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

I would look at premium 165-180 gr bullets like the Accubond, Partition, Swift A frame, Scirocco and the like and you will be good to go. Look at Varget, RL 15, H 4895 and similar burn rates and you'll be good. A young relative of mine and myself are working up a load with the 165 gr Accubond and Partition right now for the exact same purpose. As soon as we are out of quarantine we'll continue load development.

What area are you going to be hunting in?
Thanks not quite sure yet my uncle owns over 200 acres east of Timmins and three sides are crown on the boarder prob set up there when the time comes. Thanks for the info. I have no idea like I said I am just starting off hand loading haven’t even pulled the trigger on the gun yet. But really want to get it out. I am in quarantine also for two weeks so trying to research and learn as much as I can.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:10 pm
Posts: 5715
Location: British Columbia
Yes it does get a bit boring after a while :lol: I forgot to mention we are trying H 4895 in his 308 with the 165 gr PT and AB, a really nice Browning X Bolt. He has a good load worked up with the 165 gr Ballistic Tip and IMR 4166 for deer but the speed is somewhat less than the powders mentioned earlier.

308's are easy to load for and Savage's shoot great so you should have no problems finding a good load.

_________________
Saving the world one 35 Whelen at a time :)


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:02 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:08 pm
Posts: 20178
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
The 180 gr PT would be a great choice. I'd look at IMR4895, Varget and RL15, in that order, for powders. The 180 gr AB would also work.
The 165 gr PT or AB are yet additional options. For powders look at IMR4350, Varget and RL15.
I'm sure Guy Miner and a few others will join in and offer up some of their favorite loads.
Remember to always cross reference any load data you get with your reloading manuals and start low and work up.
Glad you are here, let us know how your load development goes.

JD338

_________________
Speed sells but Accuracy kills.

Noslers Rock


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:07 pm 

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29 pm
Posts: 3
JD338 wrote:
The 180 gr PT would be a great choice. I'd look at IMR4895, Varget and RL15, in that order, for powders. The 180 gr AB would also work.
The 165 gr PT or AB are yet additional options. For powders look at IMR4350, Varget and RL15.
I'm sure Guy Miner and a few others will join in and offer up some of their favorite loads.
Remember to always cross reference any load data you get with your reloading manuals and start low and work up.
Glad you are here, let us know how your load development goes.

JD338
Yeah I just ordered a the hornady loading book. Got a press given to me I think it’s called the rock chucker. Been researching and interested for a while. Now a better time then ever to get all the stuff. I think ammo is going to be real hard to find in the next little bit. Thanks all for the suggestions and info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:49 pm
Posts: 32672
Location: Northern British Columbia
You've been given some excellent advice on loads to work up. I wouldn't hesitate to tackle any moose or black bear with a 165 grain bullet at .308 velocities. If you're hunting from a stand or the range is shorter, the 180 will definitely knock down either of these critters, and do so with authority. Again, welcome to the forum.

_________________
Fortiorum fortia facta


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:11 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:20 am
Posts: 2493
Location: Anchorage AK
I’d go with 165 partition, really hard to beat that bullet on game.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: .308 hand load for moose and bear
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:20 am 

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:27 am
Posts: 546
I know this is a Nosler site. That being said, it’s hard to beat a Speer 180gr Hot Core for what you’re looking to do. Premium performance, reasonable cash outlay.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

This forum is:

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net