Modern ML Suggestions

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
I'm thinking of maybe getting a modern muzzle loader and looking for some suggestions. If possible, I would like something made in the U.S., but I'm also looking for something affordable, not sure if those things go hand in hand. In the end i would probably go for something cheap and made elsewhere if it had a good reputation if I can't find a good value U.S. made gun, so I'm really open to the whole spectrum. I've heard of several brands, Traditions, CVA, Thompson Center, Rossi, Knights, but I don't know much about any of them. Any advice?

I was also wondering what types of bullets these can fire. I usually see people using modern sabots, but can these fire cast lead minnie type bullets as well?

Was a traditional muzzle loader for many years till old eyes caught up with me than started exploring the inline thing. Had the Rem 700, did well then went with the CVA Accura. World of difference so far as cleaning and maintenace. Simple unscrewing of the breech plug to clean . One screw in the forearm to remove barrel. Like a break open single shot shotgun basically. I use Blackhorn 209 powder (recommend the CVA 209 breech plug for this powder) and Triple 7. As far as bullets goes just try different ones see what groups best for you. TC 250gr Shock Wave, Traditions Smack Down 250gr have grouped best for me. I have found inline muzzle loading fun because it's similar to reloading. Hope this is helpful. Feel free to ask questions. Plenty of folks here to help. Dan.

I shoot a CVA Optima and have shot it for about 15 years. I have killed several deer with it. Shoots very accurately. My son just popped a doe at 125 yards at the the end of KY black powder season. For bullets I use Barnes 250 gr bullets.

I believe the CVA are made in Spain. They are great guns, if your set on American made, look at TC and Knight. Both are well made guns. I shoot TC Encores and Omegas. Muzzys can be a ton a fun to hunt with.

I bet they are fun! I have been impressed in my research how accurate newly made traditional flintlocks shooting even just patched round ball can be, and didn't even realize until more recently that there are modern muzzle loaders that can achieve precision that looks pretty similar to your usual bolt actions.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a modern muzzle loader and looking for some suggestions. If possible, I would like something made in the U.S., but I'm also looking for something affordable, not sure if those things go hand in hand. In the end i would probably go for something cheap and made elsewhere if it had a good reputation if I can't find a good value U.S. made gun, so I'm really open to the whole spectrum. I've heard of several brands, Traditions, CVA, Thompson Center, Rossi, Knights, but I don't know much about any of them. Any advice?

I was also wondering what types of bullets these can fire. I usually see people using modern sabots, but can these fire cast lead minnie type bullets as well?
Are you wanting smokeless or black powder? .50 or .45?

I don't know about the in lines, never used one. However, I cast bullets and a friend of mine asked if I had anything in .45 around 350 gr.? I asked if 330 gr. would do and he said yes. So I ran him a batch of the 330 gr. hollow point Gould bullet by Lyman. He took a nice eating spike elk with that bullet with a sabot in his .50 caliber.
Paul B

I have used an encore in 209x50 for several years now. Accuracy is excellent and cleanup with blackthorn 209 is a breeze. I use a modified breech plug set up to use steel cups with fed 215 primers. I never worry about a misfire! It’s about as weatherproof as you can find.

One of these days I’m going to take a brown bear with it. I’ve taken it several times but have yet to connect. I would feel very comfortable out to 150 yards on big game. The Barnes 250 and 300gr expander MZ have proven very accurate and I put a 250gr expander MZ thru the shoulder of this large cow moose, complete penetration. I was impressed.

Attachments

• A3742E5F-71E8-4295-8668-C5E661D076AF.jpeg
    A3742E5F-71E8-4295-8668-C5E661D076AF.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 6
Are you wanting smokeless or black powder? .50 or .45?
I like black powder, as for caliber, I believe I would like a .50, although a .45 might be appropriate for anything I can expect to hunt. What would you say is the upper limit of what can be humanely harvested with a .45?

I've got a Remington 700ML and upgraded to the 209 primer. Very accurate but a PITA to clean. Bought a T/C Omega that is great. Shot a couple deer at woods ranges with 3 777 pellets and was convinced that 2 pellets was more than adaquet for the job.

KD338

I shoot the cva optima 26” barrel with black horn 209 powder 250 grain Barnes tipped tmz , max load of 84 grains shoots just over 2,000 fps. In 8 whipes i am cleaned . Great combo but haven’t harvested anything ye. Definitely a accurate load. Federal 209 primer.

I've got a Remington 700ML and upgraded to the 209 primer. Very accurate but a PITA to clean. Bought a T/C Omega that is great. Shot a couple deer at woods ranges with 3 777 pellets and was convinced that 2 pellets was more than adaquet for the job.

KD338
What are 777 pellets? I've never heard of anything called that before.

What are 777 pellets? I've never heard of anything called that before.

I have been shooting a Knight Disc rifle since somewhere back in the early to mid 90's. I use 3 50gr pellets of either Pyrodex or Triple 7 depending on which bullet/sabot combination im using. I love the rifle and it will shoot MOA out to 200 yards if I do my part.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1
Interesting, I have only encountered powder charges before. Does it cost more to get it in pellet form?
I personally don't use the pellets, but they are popular with the inline folks. There are several options from Hodgdon, IMR White Hots, and some lesser-known ones. I picked up some of the Hodgdon StarFire pellets to try, but haven't shot them yet.

Back