What have you taken bear with?

I've shot many black bears over the years. Other than those taken with a 145gr Satellite broadhead, all were taken with the age-old 45-70. I prefer the Speer 400gr JSP but have taken bears with the Barnes 300 TSX and the Swift 350 A-Frame. Only a single bullet was recovered from all of my bears. It was a Barnes bullet that had 1 or 2 petals sheared off. The bullet went through his shoulder and lodged into his spine.

Bears HATE the 45-70!

Officially none. One on a camping trip Labor Day 1959. Bear came into camp and decided one of the lady campers was dinner. 38 Spl. in a 38/44 S&W. Load was handload duplicating the .38/44 load that later became the .357 Magnum with a longer case. Can't remember the load but around 12.0 gr. H2400 (Hercules) and a 158 gr. SWC> (Lyman #358156) I still have the mold.
Paul B.

Officially none. One on a camping trip Labor Day 1959. Bear came into camp and decided one of the lady campers was dinner. 38 Spl. in a 38/44 S&W. Load was handload duplicating the .38/44 load that later became the .357 Magnum with a longer case. Can't remember the load but around 12.0 gr. H2400 (Hercules) and a 158 gr. SWC> (Lyman #358156) I still have the mold.
Paul B.
Good job!

Black bear:
30-06, 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 325 yards
375 H&H, 260 gr Nosler AccuBond @ 306 yards
375 H&H, 260 gr Nosler AccuBond @ 150 yards
375 H&H, 260 gr Nosler AccuBond @ 15 feet... Following up a bear wounded by another hunter. That was kinda hairy... ;)

Grizzly:
30-06, 200 gr Nosler Partition at 40 yards, again at 30 yards or less.. Four shots, one miss, one crummy hit, two knock-downs

Finished him at about 15 yards with the guide's 338 Win Mag & 225 grain Barnes TSX ammo - that whole hunt was finished up in 60 seconds or less of adrenaline, shooting and moving. :)

Regards, Guy

Paul B.
Bet she was glad you had a handgun!
Should let a few more hungry bears lose on Capital Hill and in the House of Commons!
Might change their perspectives!:devilish:

Black bear:
30-06, 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 325 yards
375 H&H, 260 gr Nosler AccuBond @ 306 yards
375 H&H, 260 gr Nosler AccuBond @ 150 yards
375 H&H, 260 gr Nosler AccuBond @ 15 feet... Following up a bear wounded by another hunter. That was kinda hairy... ;)

Grizzly:
30-06, 200 gr Nosler Partition at 40 yards, again at 30 yards or less.. Four shots, one miss, one crummy hit, two knock-downs

Finished him at about 15 yards with the guide's 338 Win Mag & 225 grain Barnes TSX ammo - that whole hunt was finished up in 60 seconds or less of adrenaline, shooting and moving. :)

Regards, Guy
It's why they say grizzly hunting is 99% boredom and 1% pure terror!

And nothing gets the adrenaline going quite the same as following up wounded dangerous game (And to date I have been lucky that this has only included black bears for me!). Glad I am not a PH or Alaskan Brown Bear guide that has to do this on a regular basis. And probably the number one reason why I have not taken more shots at grizzly bears over the years! LOL

And again with the silily camera:

rz9J3anh.jpg

kQ64oIMh.jpg

HRknGeph.jpg

Hvmbm9Ah.jpg

U6Rvmezh.jpg

Bears have to be one my favourite subjects to watch. Guy, you've presented some of the finest pictures imaginable of one of my most delightful animals.

"Bet she was glad you had a handgun!"

I guess although at the time she was probably on the other side of the fence. My biggest problem was where we were camped. We were camped quite close to Yosemite National Park and back then having a firearm on park ground was a really big no no. We just were not sure if we were over the line or good to go. BTW, the young lady took a lot of stitches. I never had the opportunity to see her again so don't know if I'd have gotten a thanks. It was just my nature to have the gu with me. I've never camped anywhere and not had afirearm of some sort. These day it would either be one of my .44 magnums or Ruger Bisley 5.5" with John Linebaugh level loads and the 250 gr. Keith bullet.
Paul B.

Back