308 Win Load Development

Alex36,
Thanks for your input and welcome to the forum.
We are glad you are here.

JD338
Thank you , glad to be here and seems like you guys are a very informative and accepting bunch. I like the fact that everyone helps each other and shares their findings. It’s helps all of us get better at this. This is the first forum I’ve ever joined , because I learned something each time I read anything from you all and you guys never seem to beat people up for lack of knowing ! Again , thanks for having me and look Foward to being here.

Thank you , glad to be here and seems like you guys are a very informative and accepting bunch. I like the fact that everyone helps each other and shares their findings. It’s helps all of us get better at this. This is the first forum I’ve ever joined , because I learned something each time I read anything from you all and you guys never seem to beat people up for lack of knowing ! Again , thanks for having me and look Foward to being here.
Alex36,
It's guys like you that make this forum great. The seasoned fellas here like myself were all newbies at one point.
We have strived to make this forum friendly, informative and interactive. There is a lot of knowledge among us but we are open to learning more.
Respect is the key here. It's ok to disagree with someone so long as it done in a mature manner with out the name calling etc
Again, glad you are here.

JD338

I took advantage of the break in the weather and shot a few rounds in the Nosler M21 308 Win.
I think IMR 4064 is the powder for the 308 Win. 150 gr BT 46.0 grs IMR 4064, Nosler case Fed GM210 primer. Avg MV 2832 fps from a 22" barrel.
Just need to play with the seating depth and tighten up those groups. If I were shooting 2 shot groups, I would call it good.

The intended use is a woods rifle for WT deer however with this kind of speed it should be just fine for beanfield shots out to 400 yards.

JD338

View attachment 16520
165gr Sierra GK or 165gr BT
IMR 4064/ 44.5
210GM in WW brass

I picked up some 168 gr ABLR's from SPS for the 308 Win and my wife's 30 Nosler.
I'm getting them dialed in, and 9 rounds in I'm almost there.
Varget is really shining here. This group measures .728" c/c. My goal is .5 MOA which should be reached pretty quick. It's actually fine as is since this is my woods rifle with a few crop damage deer thrown into the mix. My experience with the ABLR's is that they are fast killers with almost every deer shot has been DRT. I suspect the 168 gr ABLR will be the same.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_123452610.jpg
    IMG_20230526_123452610.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 13
I don't think you'll have a problem getting to .5 MOA. Seems like the ABLR's either shoot really well or totally suck, for me anyway. Well maybe "suck" isn't the right word, accuracy is in them, it just takes way to much coaxing to bring it out. But those results lead me to think they're going to do well for you. I couldn't get them to shoot in a couple rifles, but boy, did they stack into tiny little groups in my 6.5 PRC. That should make a dandy WT combo. Heck, it would flatten even bigger critters. Nice work

Thanks fellas. I'll shoot one more group tomorrow.
I've also started on the 30 Nosler. Using Retumbo, 85.0 grs yielded 3118 fps and 1.200". Going up from there and thinking it will end up around 3200 fps. At that speed, it's a flat liner. A 250 yd zero and hold on fur to 400 yds.
My wife is going to be a happy camper and hopefully she draws a WY Antelope tag for this fall.

JD338

I have a load that will allow my 308 Win to punch above its weight class somewhat. It’s the 150gr E-Tip over 50.5 grains of CFE223, CCI 200 primer, Federal brass with an OAL of 2.750”. It gives an average of 2949 fps and groups consistently under 1”. Nice rounded primers and the rifle Has a really tight chamber. It’s a Remington 783 with a Boyd’s engraved stock. FullSizeRender.jpeg

I have a load that will allow my 308 Win to punch above its weight class somewhat. It’s the 150gr E-Tip over 50.5 grains of CFE223, CCI 200 primer, Federal brass with an OAL of 2.750”. It gives an average of 2949 fps and groups consistently under 1”. Nice rounded primers and the rifle Has a really tight chamber. It’s a Remington 783 with a Boyd’s engraved stock. View attachment 20010
Very nice Joe. Your 308 is a 30-06!

JD338

I have a load that will allow my 308 Win to punch above its weight class somewhat. It’s the 150gr E-Tip over 50.5 grains of CFE223, CCI 200 primer, Federal brass with an OAL of 2.750”. It gives an average of 2949 fps and groups consistently under 1”. Nice rounded primers and the rifle Has a really tight chamber. It’s a Remington 783 with a Boyd’s engraved stock. View attachment 20010

I'm thinking those 150 grain E-Tips have to give plenty of penetration as well. Good looking setup and I'm impressed with your load.

Guy

I used 4064 30 years back with my 308. Retired my 308 in 1985 in pursuit of bigger & better. I have now returned to my first love. I started new load development with 4064 and found I did not care for the sharp recoil of it with 150's. I tried Varget with 48.5 gr and though it will shoot one hole groups in several 308's, it was too much trouble as the compressed load would push the bullets out during storage. I decreased the Varget charge weight & it did not work out.

I always want my bullets starting at no less than 2800 fps. I switched to 43.5 gr TAC and the groups were 1/2" with 155 Scenar's, which is my preferred 308 caliber bullet choice. I no longer had to deal with compressed loads either. I shoot them in my 308's and 300 WSM's.

I recently purchased two Sig Cross 308's and the TAC load shoots 1/2 MOA in both with no fuss. I am not going to abandon my 300 WSM's, 280 Remington's, 280 AI's or 7mm WBY's. But, I do plan to be hunting with the 308's for the foreseeable future. I am in love with the Sig Cross.

My 308 pile:
1 ea Remington 700
1 ea Sako 85 Finnlight II
1 ea Winchester 70 Featherweight
2 ea Sig Cross - 1 with 3-9 Sig Whiskey, 1 with Pulsar Talion XQ38 Thermal
1 ea Tennessee Arms AR 10

Last edited:
I'm thinking those 150 grain E-Tips have to give plenty of penetration as well. Good looking setup and I'm impressed with your load.

Guy
Thank you Guy. To be completely honest I’ve never taken this load hunting. Seems that I always end up taking my 150gr Partition load when it comes time to go. Old habits die hard I suppose. I really enjoy this rifle a lot. It’s hard to beat a good 308 Winchester. Been carrying one ever since the Winchester Model 100 my dad gave me in the late 70’s.

My daughter shot the M21 308 and loved it. She's going to use it for deer season this year.
My fingers are crossed for her, hope she tags one of the big bucks out back.

Attachments

• IMG_20231112_143641668_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231112_143641668_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Back