OUT OF STOCK Box calls

Yeah, but honesty demands a full recounting, Jim. Don't leave us in suspense!:confused:

Yeah, but honesty demands a full recounting, Jim. Don't leave us in suspense!:confused:
Yeah, someone gets to bask in the glory when they successfully shoot the big bucks. Let's hear the other side of the story...

There's no glory fellas.... Probably the best turkey hunt in my life.
I worked this tom for an hour and 15 minutes. Brought him in between 2 pairs of nesting Canadian geese who were very agitated. The big Tom stood his ground and the geese finally left him alone. I brought him around the thick stuff into a small opening, strutting and gobbling a lot.
I put this Tom right into someone's lap, a gift if you will, at 30 yards. Well within the range of a Franchi Affinity 20 ga 3 " Magnum equipped with a red dot sight.
Need I say more???

JD338

Any details on that 16 gauge? Nice to see older guns being used. I bet your uncle would be happy to see it is still working well.
It's a Springfield before Stevens bought them out. Has 30in barrels. Chokes not marked but seems to be right modified and left full. I used the full. My Uncle died in 1967 when I was 9 yrs. old. He was a young man about 37. He was a hunter growing up on the farm and thru his life but I'm pretty sure he never killed any turkeys on that farm as there was not any in the area at the time. This farm is still in my family as some cousins still own it and allow us to hunt there, so to be able to use his shotgun on the family homeplace was all the more special.

It's a Springfield before Stevens bought them out. Has 30in barrels. Chokes not marked but seems to be right modified and left full. I used the full. My Uncle died in 1967 when I was 9 yrs. old. He was a young man about 37. He was a hunter growing up on the farm and thru his life but I'm pretty sure he never killed any turkeys on that farm as there was not any in the area at the time. This farm is still in my family as some cousins still own it and allow us to hunt there, so to be able to use his shotgun on the family homeplace was all the more special.
Thought there was a cool story behind this shotgun. Makes the hunt that much sweeter with that history. That shotgun has a lot more hunting trips in it any many more birds to bring in.

Very true but that wasn't the case.

My wife missed him!

JD338
Yep. It happens. It happened to me, my son, my friend, John, and my friend, Caleb. However, my son and I were both able to recover with a body shot of #2 lead shot which we load in our magazines. #2 lead shot worked for me on geese (until we couldn't use it anymore for waterfowl) so I figured it would work for body shots on turkeys, if we miss the head/neck with our primary turkey load on the first shot.

This one was called in early this morning with the box call. Well known forum member, but I don't have permission to show his face, but that bird's legs look like Louisville sluggers!!!

IMG_0980.jpeg

Last edited:
Back