10% down. Update need help

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I am 70 miles from the town I grew up in and played ball with the local gun store's son. The other night on a whim, I text him and asked to be contacted if they ever see a Remington pump in 35 Whelen. He text back and said that in 25 years, they have not seen one but just 3 days earlier an older guy came in and traded one in for a lighter recoiling rifle. After talking to him today he said the rifle had been hunted with and there was a spot where someone took steel wool to a small spot of rust. His words were, "it is a nice rifle that has been hunted with and not a 100% mint rifle." I will not be able to go home for a few weeks so I put 10% down to hold the rifle. If I don't like it, I can get my money back. I figured it was a safe gamble. Now I just need to sell a shotgun to help cover the cost. I have been looking for one for a while and know the prices on Gunbroker are very high so I might have to snag this one even if there are a few dings and scratches on it. My question is, when I go and look at it, what do I need to focus on so I don't buy something that is not worth the money? I will post back after I get to look it over.

If all works, I would like to try the 250 Partitions in it. I think it would be a great walk around rifle here in WI and a perfect back up rifle if I get out west for elk.

I bought a 7600 35 Whelen a year ago. I replaced the walnut stock/forearm with a synthetic set. I also replaced the factory recoil pad with a Limbsaver and if you end up with the rifle you mentioned I would suggest you do the same. Recoil is significant.

Accuracy is very good with loads it likes. I didn't kill anything with mine so far but I have no qualms about it's capabilities.

Ron

I guess the primary thing to look at is the condition of the bore. I don't know much about the 760's or 7600's. The one thing you won't be able to do is use loads heavier than whats published in the manuals since the action won't take the pressure of a bolt action.
Hope you got it at a good price.

Truck driver, could you provide more info on the pressure concerns. I am guessing I could load up to book max slowly while watching for flat primers. What other signs should I look for?

Just the normal signs. These rifles were designed to be used with SAMMI loads and pressure range. As I said earlier they are not as strong as a bolt action. But are great for what the were designed for a fast handling rifle for close corners in heavy brush and a rapid second shot. They don't call them the Amish machine gun for nothing.

it will probably show hard extraction first. The auto and pump remingtons don’t have the leverage of a bolt for extracting and are prone to sticking in the chamber if a load is too hot. This is why the origninal 280 rem loads were so light because they came out in the 740 which is a similar action. The actions themselves will wear out over time so take a good luck at the lugs on the bolt. You should have no problem running 250s out to 2400 fps in the pump with no problems and that is a very effective load.

A lot of people push the 35 whelen harder than they should, trying to make it into a 375 H&H. 200s at 2700, 225s at 2500-2600, and 250s out to 2400-2450fps will work very well and not tax the action any. I was running 250 speer hot core @ 2410fps with 54.0gr varget in my Rem 750. It was a very accurate load, perfect function, and excellent performance.

This is not a 300 yard gun and there is no need to push velocities to the max. Those big 35 cal clunkers will have plenty of oompa and be more pleasant (less unpleasant?) to shoot a couple grains under book max. Maybe I'm becoming a wimp in my older age but I'm even downloading 30-06 to .308 levels in my walking gun now. Deer don't know the difference. Never loaded .35 whelen but based on the load density, you should get good accuracy results from start load to max across the spectrum.

The things to look for on a vintage pump rifle are stock cracks, especially at the back of the action, bent action bars and any binding while cycling the action. This in addition to bore and crown. Make sure to beat up any cosmetic flaws in the condition to drive down the price within reason if all is functionally sound.

My first 35 Whelen was a 7600 pump, being a lefty I thought it would work but the backwards safety wasn't fun so I gave it to my brother. I never had any problems but he extraction troubles due to him not cleaning the chamber well, if you take even the minimum amount of care in cleaning it you will do well.

I'd love to have a Whelen 7600. A 250 at 2400-2500 with RL15 or Varget will be real easy shooting and real hard on animals.

gerry":fv2bygxx said:
My first 35 Whelen was a 7600 pump, being a lefty I thought it would work but the backwards safety wasn't fun so I gave it to my brother. I never had any problems but he extraction troubles due to him not cleaning the chamber well, if you take even the minimum amount of care in cleaning it you will do well.
gerry get it back :!: You can always reverse the safety button for a lefty just like the 870 pump shotgun. Actually the actions are very similar and was designed that way so people who owned a 870 would feel familiar with the 760 and the 742 auto.

TD, that was my thought!

I wasn't sure if the safety could be reversed, but thought so.

Gerry - are you reading this?

Guy It can be reversed and it is easy to do. Though it has been a while since I did one
( 1970's ).

I tried several times, believe me I tried :mrgreen: My brother sold it (he did ask if that was fine before doing it) the guy who bought it loved to keep it in his logging truck and hammered a few bull moose with 250 gr Partitions. He died a couple years back in Ontario and I have no idea where the gun ended up.

gerry":32ioekbo said:
I tried several times, believe me I tried :mrgreen: My brother sold it (he did ask if that was fine before doing it) the guy who bought it loved to keep it in his logging truck and hammered a few bull moose with 250 gr Partitions. He died a couple years back in Ontario and I have no idea where the gun ended up.
Time to find another one (y)

Dad stopped at the local shop and looked at the rifle. He said it looked good. I will get to see it next weekend, I hope.

wisconsinteacher":2v8zma9w said:
Dad stopped at the local shop and looked at the rifle. He said it looked good. I will get to see it next weekend, I hope.
I hope it's what you want.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

WT, if you don't push the envelope on this pump you will find it will do everything you want it too. The pump will make a excellent bush rifle. I believe we are going to have another 35 Whelen family member real soon :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

Gee Vince don't discourage him encourage him. (y)

Dan I think your right, another happy Whelen owner is about to join our club. (y)

truck driver":nn9yq864 said:
Gee Vince don't discourage him encourage him. (y)

Dan I think your right, another happy Whelen owner is about to join our club. (y)
I was being encouraging and hoping that the rifle was what he wanted.
Geez.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back