100 grainers in 260rem ...partition or ttsx?

DIXIE

Beginner
Nov 12, 2006
i have both, what shoul i start loading?...would love to shoot em both into gellation to see who gets deeper, and expands wider...

thinking of launching them 3100+ fps from my nosler model 48 sporter

Dixie,

You will undoubtedly get more penetration with TTSX. However, you will get more hydrostatic shock (i.e., tissue damage) with Nosler due to expansion and dissipation of energy. Two different bullets designed to address different requirements of the hunter. At 3100 fps, I doubt that there are many deer that will walk away from a well-placed Nosler Partition. It will be instant death for them.

DIXIE,

The 100 gr PT was designed specifically for the 260 Rem to offer deep penetration on deer sized game.
Shoot them both into water jugs.

JD338

I have both bullets and its amazing how much longer the 100 grain TTSX looks...looks like a 120 or 130 grain compared to the 100 grain Partition.....i want to shoot the Partition just to see how that little bullet will demolish deer! i want to see if it will exit when launched @ 3200 and pointed at a double shoulder shot at close range

DIXIE":hoxi95b5 said:
I have both bullets and its amazing how much longer the 100 grain TTSX looks...looks like a 120 or 130 grain compared to the 100 grain Partition.....i want to shoot the Partition just to see how that little bullet will demolish deer! i want to see if it will exit when launched @ 3200 and pointed at a double shoulder shot at close range

The 6.5 is noted to be very effective.. compared to other cals up to .35. I don't know if it creates a larger mushroom...(the penetration is really good).. anyone help me out?

DIXIE":1gu5irwo said:

DIXIE,

The PT is designed to smash through bone. I am certain it will punch the shoulders of a WT deer and exit. I also think at that velocity you won't have to track a deer either, bang flop!

JD338

I've never had a TTSX/TSX fail me. I use the 100gr in my 6.5 Grendel AR-15's. Look at the videos on barne's website of them shooting all of the "brand" name bullets into ballistic gel and see how fast the TTSx will open up and penetrate at the same time.

Dixie - what will be the normal distances you will be shooting and what is the intended game animal? I hunt with the 130 grain AB in the .260, using R19 with muzzle velocity of 2890. This groups just under an inch at 200 yards. Take advantage of the true value that the 6.5 bullets have with their sectional density and use the heavier bullets in this great caliber. If you want to try a Partition, go with the 125 grain. If you are more interested in speed for the caliber, the Partition will be better because of how much you will give up in case capacity with the solid and the fact that you will need to back off on max loads with the monolith bullet. Great claibe ryo have to play with!!

I would say that you will not have any problem having a 100 gr Partition exit the shoulders no matter what distance inside 500 yards you shoot a WT deer. I shoot the 120 ballistic tip at 3000 fps out of my 6.5X55 Swede and it will exit the shoulders on WT deer as close as 40 yards. I have shot a whole bunch of deer with .264 caliber bullets from 120 through 140 gr from many different makers and I can only remember one deer that took more than two jumps after being hit. That one was gut shot after the 140 gr Sierra bullet hit a small sapling that deflected the bullet and it hit the deer sideways hitting part of the liver and then into the gut. It went about 50 yards before going down for the count. It has been my experience that when a 6.5 bullet going anywhere between 3350 fps and 2800 fps muzzle velocity from 120 to 140 grs hits a deer in the shoulder at a little over 500 (furtherest I have shot one) or less yards they usually drop in their tracks or do a little bit of the drunk funky chicken dance for less than 20 yards before going down for the count.

I have limited experience with the 125 gr PT but IMHO, that bullet would have no trouble getting through the vitals from any angle.

JD338

Can't wait to see what the 130gr AB does this year. Seems to be pretty darned promising so far. Scotty

Shoot them both, keep the more accurate one. I know a guy that kills elk with 100 gr NP's in his 25-06 so yours will do equally well.

Back