110 grain bullets out of a .270 win

Laker_Taker

Beginner
Aug 17, 2007
Anybody shooting 110 grain bullets out of a .270 winchester. I picked up a sample pack that other day of 110 grain bullets and thought what the heck might be fun to see how fast I can push them and will they group. Anybody ever play with them.

thanks
LT

Oh yes. 110 pro hunters are a hoot. They generate almost no recoil. Perfect for teaching a young shooter to handle a .270. The only powder I have used is IMR-4064. I used Sierra manual no 2 for load data. It lists 49.7 as a max. The 110,s shot great for me right from the start. I never hunted anything with the 110 pro hunters but I imagine they would make a real mess out of a yote. They don,t cost a lot and are fun to shoot.

I loaded some for my buddies daughter. Clocked right around 2700fps and killed a small caribou bull with one shot. Look under the bullet test section I did a write up on it complete with bullet pictures. I wouldn't push them much faster for game though

The sierra manual lists velocity with 49.7grs. of 4064 at 3200 with the 110 pro hunter. It is fast with a max charge.

There's a bunch of huntable bullets in that wt. Thanks to the 6.8 round. There's the 95 and 110 ttsx. There's the 100 and 110 AccuBond. The accubonds have really thick impressive jackets half way down. My boy had a 9 point buck get up in a thicket last year about 25 ft from where he was.....it was so thick the deer was a little slow getting out of it and he put a factory 110 ttsx behind the shoulders...it dropped w/o making another 10 ft.

Bet that nosler 110 AB with 51 grains of 4064 would be a bad azz. The nosler load data is showing that is the most accurate powder and a velocity of 3411. Man that is fast.

I found them superbly accurate and devastating on crows. Hornady 110 gr and 60 gr of H4831 turns them to dust with a leg or two left over. I haven't tried Nosler's yet.

killed a lot of whitetails with the hornady 110 gr hp and a max load of IMR 4350. was my "go to" load for a lot of years
RR

Ridge_Runner":3teu4x8c said:
killed a lot of whitetails with the hornady 110 gr hp and a max load of IMR 4350. was my "go to" load for a lot of years
RR

RR, are you admitting use of a 270? :lol:

I would imagine that would be a quick killer..

I loaded some 110gr. Pro- Hunters for my buddy's sons first year of hunting big game. He was used to the 22-250 by this time so stepping up was not a real big jump. But he was young and stringy so recoil was a factor. A min load of h4350 and a standard primer over the pro hunter turned out to be a one holer at 100 yrds. And proved deadly for his first WT. As far as beginners go I beleive it's a great load.

I have some 110gr GSC's to mess with, but won't get to them till post hunting season.

They are MEAN looking little buggers though!

SJB358":264gfh23 said:
Ridge_Runner":264gfh23 said:
RR

for about 5 tears it was my "deer gun" never felt undergunned.
RR

SJB358":e4kmyr50 said:
Ridge_Runner":e4kmyr50 said:
RR

RR

Ridge_Runner":20sx5obo said:
RR

Yeah, I should imagine that there would be a few tears if you had to dispatch deer with a .270. :grin:

use to be a big 270 fan, this rifle was a 270 when new, its now my 6.5 Gibbs
lh270.jpg

bought this one just out of high school in 1978, was my deer, bear, groundhog gun till mid 80's when I got the "sickness" and started buying rifles out deer run small so the 110 gr. loads worked well as an all around load.
lh270.jpg

RR

use to be a big 270 fan, this rifle was a 270 when new, its now my 6.5 Gibbs
lh270.jpg

bought this one just out of high school in 1978, was my deer, bear, groundhog gun till mid 80's when I got the "sickness" and started buying rifles out deer run small so the 110 gr. loads worked well as an all around load.
760rm.jpg

RR

Back