140 gr Accubond and RL-22??

bulldog4949

Beginner
Sep 29, 2009
Wanting to shoot the 140 gr AccuBond out of my 270. I want to use rl-22 as what I've been reading it is very good. I do not find rl22 listed in my manual for 140 gr. But i do see it for 150 gr. I do have an email into Nosler at this time. Any suggestions? Thx.

RL-22 might be a bit slow for the 270 Win. with the 140 grainer. It would be better suited with the heavier bullets, this may be the reason it's not listed with that bullet. IMR or H-4831 or VihtaVuori N160 may better suited for that cartridge.

Browning x bolt 22" barrel. Several reloaders love it and have great accuracy with this load. If it dont work I am gonna go to h4831sc. I also have 3 lbs of rl22. So I am sure I can get it tweeked just right. Thx. Just not sure of the charge thats min/max.

quickload info

270win , 140 AccuBond # 54765, rated at 65000psi max ,RL22 powder . COAL 3.340 . 22 in bbl .

60.0 grains max , 3067FPS , 108.4% case fill , 64680PSI

rule of thumb is to start 4 grains under max .

56.0 grains min , 2841FPS, 101.2% case fill ,50710PSI

the powder is a little slow causing the case fill to be high . this will be compressed loads . probably why it's not a listed powder in your book . Jim

Jim, thank you bud.

From Nosler:
"Please split the difference between the 130gr. and the 150gr. data in the manual."

This sound like it should work? Or should I resort to h4831sc...due to it being published?

Thanks again guys.

I love RL22 and would certainly work it in your 270. Work up carefully with a chrono and you should be good to go. Also, check out Alliants online data. They should list some decent data for a 140, at least to get you started. Scotty

With the chrono what can that tell me besides fps? Never used it in load development actually. I do have one and actually have it packed to take to the range today for my 300. Gotta load i think is good but was curious on fps with 180 gr partitions. Thx

A chronograph will give you a fair indication of accuracy potential of a given load by noting the extreme spread and the standard deviation. A low standard deviation indicates that adjusting the overall length will likely tighten the group potential. Also, a chronograph will provide the ability to see when you have plateaued in a load, keeping you from moving unexpectedly into an over-pressure situation. By observing the increase in velocities, you will be able to avoid settling for a load that is over pressure, despite no overt signs of pressure.

Dang Mike, that went right over my head. :shock:

Ok so can you break it down to dumb man terms. Lol.

When you measure the velocity of your load, there will be a standard deviation recorded. The lower the standard deviation, the more consistent the assembled load. Ideally, I look for a standard deviation in measured velocity of no more than one percent (e.g. 30 fps SD on a load yielding 3000 fps). While it is true that occasionally a load will prove to be quite accurate when the standard deviation is much larger than this, it is an aberration or an artifact (fluke). Generally, a lower standard deviation on a given load has greater potential for accuracy. It is indicating that you need but alter seating depth (jump to the lands) in order to adjust barrel harmonics to obtain the best accuracy.

Many times a load's velocity will have plateaued despite pressure continuing to increase. In such instances, you are gaining nothing by burning the last one, two or three grains of powder, and you are quite likely stressing the brass needlessly. You can fire the load at the lower powder charge and obtain the same velocity.

Different component combinations create different pressure curves. Some curves are extreme steep relative to others. Working with such loads, it is easy to move unwittingly into dangerous territory very quickly. A measure of velocity, while not strictly correlated to pressure, can often give you an indication of potential danger before you stumble into trouble.

This is the reason I caution people without a chronograph to work with published and pressure-tested loads. Those who opt to work with programs such as QuickLoad and other similar programs that project charges for given combinations, must learn to read pressure signs and avoid simply picking a load that looks good. I advise dropping back at least five percent from published loads for any hand loader, and in many instances, ten percent is not too much, depending upon your particular rifle, the bearing surface of the bullet chosen and the burn rate of the powder you opt to use.

Hopefully, this will help explain the positive contribution of your chronograph.

Yes very much so.

So look for close and consistent fps readings and when you see that differ no more than 30 fps from shot to shot, you are getting close. Then adjust seating depth to fine tune. Yes?

Taking some out today (300 win mag) and the chrono. Could be interesting at the least. Lol.

Again thanks for the info. Very helpful for me.

In my 270 win 140 AB, I could not get them fly accurate less than an 1.25 inch with RL-22.
H4831 Sc 58-59 gr. works well with GM215 primer. Also 140 AB shot very well and very fast with H-1000 62.5 gr with mag primer very accurate. The speed was 2950 fps with 22 inch barrrel.
It is hot load. Other powders to try are: N560 or N160 or Norma MRP are great for this bullet.
My rifle prefers 130 AB with H4831 sc and 150 PT RL-22 or Norma MRP.

Assuming you're talking 270 Win. 57-59 RL22 with the 140 grain. 2900 fps plus easy.

bulldog4949":hj9bk7fg said:
yes 270 win. gonna start at 56 and go from there. thx guys.

56 grains of IMR-4831 will get to 2900 as well. The 140 AccuBond is a long bullet. In order to fit the clip the bullet has to be seated pretty deep consequently eating up case capacity. I,m just thinking RL-22 or H-4831 might possibly take too much compressed powder to generate decent velocity. Any how just a thought I was having about x bolts and A bolts with those coal. limiting clip thingies/mags. Hope ya get yourself a one holer load.

Back