160 accubonds and 7mm rem mag

quentin9595

Beginner
Jul 29, 2008
how do you like the 160gr accubonds with the 7mm rem mag and how did they perform for you i am thinking about using this bullet on deer and elk thanks

quentin9595

This is my go to bullet in my 280 AI. MV is 3000 fps and it works well on WT deer.

JD338

Best weight bullet out there for deer-moose imo. Shoot the Partition or AccuBond, depending on accuracy. I have had good luck with the Partition but switched over to the AccuBond for it's higher bc this year. Will let you know how it performs in a few months, but I've got a good hunch it won't let me down.

Quentin,

I'm using the last of my 160 grain Fail Safes in my 7mm RM. However, I have used 160 grain ABs in my 7mm WSM for the past three seasons. Great performance on deer and elk. Excellent bullet that I will not hesitate to use in my 7mm RM.

I have shot the 160 AB in my custom 7REM and could not get the VEL that I wanted. I tried several powders: IMR 4831, 4350,7828, RL 19,and 22. I NEVER got over 2900fps out of a 26" barrel. I DID shoot a whitetail doe at 140 yds with it and she dropped in her tracks, from a center chest hit?? I have gone back to the Ballistic tips for whitetails! I like the way it picks them up :shock: and puts them down :twisted: !LOL!

DrMike":3g91xp48 said:
Quentin,

I'm using the last of my 160 grain Fail Safes in my 7mm RM. However, I have used 160 grain ABs in my 7mm WSM for the past three seasons. Great performance on deer and elk. Excellent bullet that I will not hesitate to use in my 7mm RM.
If you dont mind me asking, what was your load for the 7mm wsm with this bullet?

WLRM primer and 70 g. MagPro (max). My best groups come consistently with 69 g. MagPro, however. Another very fine load with only slightly less velocity uses R9.5 primer and 65.5 g. IMR7828 with 160 g. PT. The groups are tighter still. However, I have not yet taken this particular load hunting as I have carried the AB afield for the past three seasons.

I think its one of the better all around bullets for the 7 mags. However, my 7 RM wont shoot it all that well over 2850-2900fps with RL-22. I haven't worked with any other powder yet. Dont get me wrong, it'll shoot 1/2" at 100 yards, but I would like that at 3000fps, not 2850.

I've never shot anything with them, but I would bet they are awesome and would work great on anything from antelope to moose at both close and long range.

This bullet weight is ideal for any of the 7Mags, it may start off slower than the 150's but retains more energy down range. I personally still rely on h-4831 63.5 gr's cci 250 primer and 160gr partitions. I've been lucky enough to get 2 moose draws in the last 5 yrs both one shot kills with that load. One in the neck at forty yards , that was all I could see thanks to some willows, the other one was 200 yards heart/lung went 20 yards was dead it the time it took me to get over to it. I also shot an old and honery bull bison with this load, it took 2 shots at 100 yards, the second shot was to play it safe, the first shot was aheart shot and thru the scope it looked like a volcano erupted, I mean it was shooting blood out the entry hole like a garden hose. I just finished loading the same load with accu-bonds, my draws are in and GOD willing I may get another moose tag, My bull elk priorty level was also high, being I haven't drawn that tag in 5yrs. You can't go wrong with either bullet , but you already new that :twisted:

DrMike":2uybvsqv said:
WLRM primer and 70 g. MagPro (max). My best groups come consistently with 69 g. MagPro, however. Another very fine load with only slightly less velocity uses R9.5 primer and 65.5 g. IMR7828 with 160 g. PT. The groups are tighter still. However, I have not yet taken this particular load hunting as I have carried the AB afield for the past three seasons.
Thank you for the data. I just got done trying 71 grain of IMR 7828 and a 139 grain hornady sst and the groups would be 2 of the 3 bullets touching and the 3rd bullet about 1 1/2 inches away. (all this out of my 7mm wsm) So I am going to try the 140 grain NBT and the 160 grain AccuBond and see what bullet does better.

thanks for all of the help and information i was just wondering what u all thought about the 160 accubonds

quentin9595":1hpexn6u said:
thanks for all of the help and information i was just wondering what u all thought about the 160 accubonds

quentin9595

Did we convince you to go with the 160 gr AB? :grin:
Its the only bullet you need to hunt anything you would use a 7mm Rem Mag on.

JD338

The 160 gr. AccuBond is high ballistic co-efficient and the AccuBond is the perfect bullet for penetration and linear hydrostatic shock transfer. In all cases it out performs any bullet ever made in the "one bullet does it all" catagory. It took an antelope clean last year and has taken elk and deer and pigs on a consistant basis with never a question about it's performance.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Greg Nolan":2i23rmig said:
The 160 gr. AccuBond is high ballistic co-efficient and the AccuBond is the perfect bullet for penetration and linear hydrostatic shock transfer. In all cases it out performs any bullet ever made in the "one bullet does it all" catagory. It took an antelope clean last year and has taken elk and deer and pigs on a consistant basis with never a question about it's performance.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

do i need something different?NO

I have an older 700 bdl 7mag probably a late 80s model it has a 24" barrel

I have only shot factory 140s and 150s and the old powerepoint plus shot the best out of it but no matter what I used it really bit the hell out of me now I dont mind bucking and snorting but it really bites the shoulder I have a 300rum and have also shot dads 721 300 hh and neither bite me like tha 7 does

the hh is more compareable it does more of a push would the heavieer bullet in the 160 take away some bite? is the short barrel killing me what do all the experts say

nits

Sounds like improper stock fit. Put a Pachmyer Decelerator or Limbsaver recoil pad on your 7mm Rem Mag and it will be a pussy cat yo shoot.

JD338

I believe JD is correct. Consequently, his remedy is excellent. The stock design on Remingtons is one of the best in the business. The 7 RM is not a vicious cartridge; it should not bite anymore than a 30-06.

The most vicious rifle I have ever shot was a 270WSM built on a Borden action. The man that ordered the rifle put on a 20 inch barrel with a muzzle brake, and the length of pull on the stock was somewhat shorter. I broke two sets of muffs with the rifle. Each time I pulled the trigger the rifle twisted and slapped the muffs. I did get it to shoot well, but I never enjoyed shooting it.

Back