.17 caliber rifles

Chris338378

Beginner
Nov 10, 2008
I am kicking around buying a .17 Remington or a .17 HMR but can't decide on which one to get. I will be using it to hunt varmints, predators, and shoot on the range. Besides the obvious cost difference for the ammo I can't decide which would be better. Any info on your experiences with these would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Savage in 17hmr. I don't remember the model but it's the one with a laminated thumb hole stock. Extreemly accurate and inexpensive to shoot. Even though I like to load my own ammo sometimes it's nice to just shoot and not worry about brass. Oh... and I have a hard enough time holding on to the 22 cal bullets when loading for the AR-15. Those 17 cal bullets are pretty small.

If you're looking to shoot predators, I'd recommend the 17 Rem or 17 Fireball over the 17 HMR every day of the week. I'd even go 22 Mag over 17 HMR. I owned a Marlin 917 heavy barrel/laminate 17 HMR back in 2002 while it was relatively new. When the 204 Ruger came out, I sold the 17 HMR and haven't looked back.

Huge difference between the .17 Rem and the .17 HMR... Huge...

I gave my son a little .17 HMR last year, an extraordinarily accurate CZ varmint rifle. It's terrific for varmints up to the size of rock chucks out to 150 yards or so. Perfect for ground squirrels out to maybe 175 - 200 yards.

The rimfire .17 cal, 17 grain bullet at 2550 fps though, has limits.

A .17 Rem on the other hand belts out a 25 grain bullet at over 4,000 fps. Quite a difference!

I'd highly recommend a .204 Ruger, .223, .22-250 or something similar for predators such as coyotes. Heck, I usually hunt them with my .25-06, haven't had any run off yet.

Regards, Guy

I'm with Guy!!! I had a 17 Rem, pita at the time due to the fact 20 yrs ago it was kinda obscure.

But like Guy said, go with a .204, .223 or 2/250. I have all 3 and love the .204 the bestest... It has the same attributes as the .17 Rem. Fast, lazer beam shooting fun, but bullet & brass selection is far more available as is the choice of rifles. The .223 is the cheapest route as everybody offers one & bullets for it. And ya cant go wrong with the classic 250 either.

Regardless, get whichever floats your boat.

Rod

I wouldn't go with a .17 anything. I smoked a badger with my 17 HMR and a 20gr hp a few weeks ago. It was only about 100 yards. It turned and went down its hole. I walked up to the hole to see if it just fell in and it was digging, and tossing dirt everywhere. I was very not pleased to say the least. THose dang things tare the crap out of our fields and a guy doesn't see them everyday, so I need to make the most of the chances I get.

Luckily our some body smoked him with an 06 a few days (and a bunch of new holes) later.

I'm contemplating selling it and putting the money towards an 20" .223 upper for my naked DPMS lower sitting in my safe.

I have a 17 Remington and it shoots amazing as seen below. I also have a 204 ;)

Range001.jpg

Agree - the .17 HMR can be accurate as all get out, and is a lot of fun to shoot, but the tiny rimfire cartridge has limitations...

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

For something tough like a badger, or a coyote, I want more rifle than the little .17 HMR for sure!

Reading some of PO Ackleys books he talked about some pretty neat shots made with the 17's available in the day. I think a 17 Rem or Fireball would be a pretty neat rifle to have, but loading those little bullets would be a little trying, since I have a little larger than normal fingers. I would like to try the 204 though. I would get a 22WMR if you are thinking of a 17HMR, the 22 Mag does just as well for the up close varmints. Scotty

I also agree. The 17hmr is fun to target shoot and plink. I have one and love it. I also bought a 223 for a longer range squirrel gun and coyote gun. A buddy just got the 17 fireball and WOW. That thing is a bam flop gun on squirrels and coyotes. Only downside is small grain bullets.

Back