2 things you always carry in the woods

Cneelk

Beginner
Dec 23, 2021
What are the two items you always have in your pack when you go into the mountains or woods. Two must haves when you venture out. Let’s hear em

Actually two compass. One is in one of those sneaky little pockets inside my pack and one I carry in my pocket. The one I carry in my pocket is a boy scout compass I 've used for 55 years. And water.

TP and firemaking materials/tools...if allowed a 3rd, it would be a first aid kit.
luckily our terrain lends itself well in form of landmarks for direction guidance so while I have a compass, I have rarely required/used it.
Food and water are given, as are ammo, knife and multi tool on my belt...

Always have the usual survival and navigating stuff but a few hard lessons have convinced me to always have a backup light, usually just a tiny pen light. I once out night fishing and my headlamp died so I had to get comfy and wait 5 hours for sunrise to see my way back to the truck. Also I keep those single dose medicine packs handy. Nothing ruins a hunt like a headache, toothache, or intestinal issues.

The question was what 2 items so I answered compass and water. In addition I carry the following items...
2 flashlights
A backup compass
2 knives
10' of mule tape (high tinsel strength rope)
TP
Cigar torch (lighter)
A CR2032 battery for illuminated scope
Battery pack for cell phone when remote
Extra pair of socks and gloves when remote
YMMV

JD338

I didn't take a compass with me when I hunted Elk in Montana but I did have a watch with hands on it and used the face as a compass watching the sun travel across the sky and knowing where and the time the sun rose and set.
Water . fire starter kit and dry socks. I don't go anywhere without a pocket knife unless it's to a court house or police station:rolleyes::LOL:.
Dad would take me hunting when I was a teen and drop me off at 0500hrs and tell me to be back at the drop off point at 1800hrs.
Most of the time it was in an area I had never been, though he never told me he had been close and would watch me out of sight I always sensed he was near. Uncle Sam taught me to read a topo map and I got very use to picking out distinguishable Geo land marks and follow them back to my starting point, I got so I could retrace my steps even in the dark, may be part of the Cherokee Indian in me.

Unless there is ice on the ground (rare here); I have a Thermacell. And I carry a knife always. Usually a flashlight in case it's dark.

I'm in the process of packing my day pack for an upcoming elk hunt in colorado. So kit includes,
Compass, paracord, duck tape wrapped on a credit card, Sam splint, 2 israeli bandages, cat tourniquet, gauze roll, survival blanket, and roll of med tape. All of these things are stashed in those pouches inside the pack. Add to that water bottle, flash lights, knife, propane lighters, snacks, elk call, extra ammo, map, and anything else that comes to mind. I'm gonna add the extra pair of socks JD.

Probably 90% of my local desert
or mountain treks were just day trips to get away from it all for a day of two. Probably a good handgun and knife just as a matter of course. U sed to carry a compass but on one deer hunt I started off 90 degrees perpendicular to and east/west two track heading south to a spot I knew could produce deer. It was getting on in the day and I'd seen no deer so was headed back to the truck. I took a compass reading but something seemed radically wrong, Seems the sun was on the wrong side or my compass had switched polarity.. The puzzling thing is I know it was OK when I started out in the morning. Most times whether on a hunt or day hike I had a light day pack with a couple bottles of water, some jerky, and a few other odds and ends. I haven't done any of the above since Jan 2, 2020.
Paul B.

My two must haves are a lighter and tampons or maxi pads. All these havalon knives and scalpel type knives someone’s going to get cut badly. The warden was on blood thinners when she killed a cow elk with archery equipment. She was super insistent on getting in the action, I wouldn’t let her and that’s when I started to carry the feminine products. It’s better than a shirt sleeve , way cleaner if needed and hardly weighs anything. Just cheap insurance.

TP and firemaking materials/tools...if allowed a 3rd, it would be a first aid kit.
luckily our terrain lends itself well in form of landmarks for direction guidance so while I have a compass, I have rarely required/used it.
Food and water are given, as are ammo, knife and multi tool on my belt...
Well, I have to admit that I did use the first aid kit today as I did cut my thumb when my knife slipped field dressing my bull moose. Not bad, but good thing I had the antiseptic wipes, gauze and tape to patch myself up to finish the work. Now to restock the kit...
Better to have and not need, then need and not have!

Just a plastic bag, water and a knife in my pocket. I usually also have one of the light blankets you could get on the airplane in the bottom of my pack.

Looks like I should update and restock the bag a little, but its easy to grab and just throw in what ever pack I'm using to go hike, hunt, or ski and not worry if you forgot the basics. Then add what ever else specific that you might need on that trip.

Attachments

• 20240925_203103.jpg
    20240925_203103.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240925_203150.jpg
    20240925_203150.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 3
If I have a pack, I assume that I have many items. Two things that I always have would be a lighter and a knife, I can do a lot with just those. Water and/or a filter is a very close third and so is TP but I’ve definitely come home missing a sleeve off my shirt in the past…lol. Funny, I carried a compass for years and never once did I pull it out. It stays home now, I guess I’m a mountain man…lol

Toilet paper and a light. Dan.
I noticed no one mentioned toilet paper. It has many uses in addition to its normal use which I can guarantee you will happen once you're in the woods about a 1/4 of a mile.:ROFLMAO: After reading the post again I see that Toilet paper was mentioned a couple of times. Good thinking!!!!

If I have a pack, I assume that I have many items. Two things that I always have would be a lighter and a knife, I can do a lot with just those. Water and/or a filter is a very close third and so is TP but I’ve definitely come home missing a sleeve off my shirt in the past…lol. Funny, I carried a compass for years and never once did I pull it out. It stays home now, I guess I’m a mountain man…lol
Henry Frapp, " been a fearsome confused for a month or two, but I've never been lost."

Back