200 fps matters

BP736

Beginner
Oct 7, 2008
Last week I shot my 280 AI at a piece of 5/8" steel plate at 300 yards. My dad also shot his 280 Rem. at the same plate, same distance. Both rifles shot 140 grain Accubonds. My 280 AI pushes them at 3225 and his 280 Rem. at 3000 (both chrongraphed). I was surprised to see that the 280 AI penetrated more than 1/8" deeper in to the plate than the 280 Rem. Same bullet, same distance, same plate. The only difference was the velocity. You can't really see the difference in the pictures, but there was a significant difference in the holes left in the plate. Until now, I thought the differnece between a 280 AI and 280 Rem. was minimal. I didn't think 200 fps would make THAT much of a difference. My 2 shots were about 2.2 inches apart (touching the orange and 1/2" below in the center).
BP

Attachments

• DSCN2405.JPG
    705.7 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCN2410.JPG
    752.5 KB · Views: 639
Velocity kills steel...there's a reason that they usually have a velocity limit at steel matches and it's not to limit trajectory, it's to limit target damage. A screaming .22 caliber bullet will do a lot more damage to steel than say a 30-06 at close range even though the 06 carries way more energy.....

Compar a 30-06 165gr standard bullet to a 30-06 55gd accelerator and the 55gr penitrates steel as good or better than the 30-06 armur perceing does.

3/8 Cold Rolled steel and 4000fps 22/55gr does a very good job. The AP was old WWII surpluse and some times the steel core stayed in the metal plate.

225fps is a lot, especially since the velocity is squared in the energy equation. That velocity with the same 140 grain bullet results in roughly 435 more ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. Being that the BC is the same on both the cartridges the drag will be similar (some variation from the different velocities) so you'll have about the same energy difference for a good bit of range since they'll be losing velocity at about the same rate. Seeing the evidence sure makes it hit home better than math and theory though.

The velocity difference of the two rifles won't make a difference when a well-placed shot finds its mark. I understand the benefits of higher velocities and your AI will bring down anything in North America, except maybe for the biggest bears. Both rifles "got it" and you'll get your game if you do things right.

Have you tried 150gn bullets? My 280 does best with 150gn bullets.

The 280 Rem - 280 AI situation is a lot like the 300 Win Mag - 300 Wby Mag comparison. Both are great, handle large for caliber bullets well. and will do the job with a good shot and the right bullet for the game.
Handloading makes all four chamberings even better than factory stuff. And that's my 0.05 cents worth.

"To heck with efficiency, it's performance we want".

The late great Elmer Keith!

Agreeing totally with all the above, and yet I find it interesting that a different round/bullet at 1000-1200 fps, will kill say a deer, just as well. And yet not do near that damage on steel.

Back