2012 Hunting Pictures

Great photos guys! Can you believe we're only in February 2012 and already have three pages of hunting photos? This is cool.

DT,
You should work for the department of tourism for MT or for Outdoor Life. Those pics are incredible! The one with the quarters hanging looks like it came out of Field & Stream. I love that country, but the damn grizz scare the hell out of me. I've been around black bears my whole life in N. NM, and was lucky enough to slip an arrow through a little boar last fall, but with two little ones I'm leery of areas close to the Bob and Jellystone. I know they chewed up a few bowhunters last year too. I really wish they'd implement hunting for them, and put a little fear back in 'em. Anyway, the first elk I ever killed, my buddy helped me pack out with his horses. The little chesnut gelding I was on didn't seem to care what he was hauling, but his gray mare was none too happy. Looks like you've been around horses plenty and as you know, it's no fun getting cow kicked when you're loading quarters in the panniers. But, it was a real hoot and I had a hell of a time. Thanks again for the pics.
Joe

EOD Diver":3jhuexiy said:
DT,
You should work for the department of tourism for MT or for Outdoor Life. Those pics are incredible! The one with the quarters hanging looks like it came out of Field & Stream. I love that country, but the damn grizz scare the hell out of me. I've been around black bears my whole life in N. NM, and was lucky enough to slip an arrow through a little boar last fall, but with two little ones I'm leery of areas close to the Bob and Jellystone. I know they chewed up a few bowhunters last year too. I really wish they'd implement hunting for them, and put a little fear back in 'em. Anyway, the first elk I ever killed, my buddy helped me pack out with his horses. The little chesnut gelding I was on didn't seem to care what he was hauling, but his gray mare was none too happy. Looks like you've been around horses plenty and as you know, it's no fun getting cow kicked when you're loading quarters in the panniers. But, it was a real hoot and I had a hell of a time. Thanks again for the pics.
Joe

Thanks! I get paranoid of grizzlies at times. Had a couple CLOSE run ins with them but have never had to fire a shot. Lucky they turned out the way they did. Walked right by one in a bush 10 yards away putting the sneak on a bull elk and never knew the bear was there until we were walking back after a blown stalk on the same game trail we walked in on but on the way out we werent being quiet. Right as we walked up to the same bush we had just walked by, it came boiling out, luckily away from us. I got stuck in a tree stand with a sow and two cubs 60 yards from me which was between me and my truck and had to call my dad to come get me. He drove in right to the base of my ladder stand. Same happened with my younger brother in a different area.
Not to far from where the elk quarter pic was taken, we had a sow with 3 cubs around our camp during the night after we had killed a couple elk about a half a mile from our camp. Horses didnt like that one bit to say the least.
Last summer I saw 8 of them on some private property we deer hunt on that is only about 5 miles from town. Dont like them one bit and i agree we they need to be hunted too. Im sure if they did allow hunting, very few tags would be available and I bet they would be EXPENSIVE!

This is a pic of one of our buffalo this year. Not a good pic, it was -40 and the camera was having a tough time. This was a cow, we never did get a pic of the bull. The cow was shot with a HS precision, 300 win mag, 168gr barnes ttsx.

Good start for 2012

Attachments

• DSC01752.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 3,405
  • DSC01747.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,404
An excellent start to 2012. Congratulations on a couple of fine animals.

Not a success photo, just a prewar 70 in 22hornet waiting to "sting" a coyote.

shed002.jpg

A couple hours later cozying up to a 70 inch shed I found near my stand :grin:

shed008.jpg

Pat

Wow, great pictures Pat! That is just so cool! That Hornet is about as slick a set up as I have ever seen...

Got out for a hike today in mule deer & bighorn country. Didn't see either. Had my .25-06 along in case a coyote showed - no luck there either - but it was nice and one heck of a workout. No roads, the only trails were sheep & mulie trails. Steep. Got snowed on a little on the way back.

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

nwt - congrats on the buff. Very cool. I'd love to hunt them someday!

Guy,

The mountains were lovely at that moment in time. Is your snow pack low this year? Or is that the normal at that particular elevation?

Very mild winter down low here, with pretty light snowfall. It did however snow again last night, but just a bit. Looks nice outside. I'll be hiking again this morning. My local cross-country ski club has three groomed tracks, two are closed due to lack of snow already. Often we get another month of skiing. Phooey.

Up high though, I understand we're at roughly our normal snowfall for the season. That info is a little dated though. Sure seems like the higher elevations have been pounded though.

Guy

Very nice pictures from all of you ! - I am born and raised for all of my 55 yrs up here in BC - i really want to get down and see Idaho & Montana sometime - maybe i can get in on a pronghorn hunt in montana with someone- sometime ! I would love that ! Keep the pics coming !

Cheers RJ :)

Wento on the elk trip to the Peace River last week we saw a lot of elk and my partner shot a nice bull calf. I was not able to pull the trigger on an elk but I did manage to pull the trigger on my first coyote. He was taken at 282 yards with my 35 Whelen and 225 gr Accubonds, it worked :shock:

FtStJohnFeb2012001.jpg

gerry":13kxqeru said:
Wento on the elk trip to the Peace River last week we saw a lot of elk and my partner shot a nice bull calf. I was not able to pull the trigger on an elk but I did manage to pull the trigger on my first coyote. He was taken at 282 yards with my 35 Whelen and 225 gr Accubonds, it worked :shock:

FtStJohnFeb2012001.jpg

Way to go Pal -Congrats to you and your partner on the elk ! A nice yote and a great shot ! Maybe not quite enough cartridge & bullet though for a big dog ! :wink: LOL

Cheers RJ :grin:

Gerry,

That yodel dog does look as if it was ready for a long nap. Great shot.

Great shooting Gerry. Didn't you know the Whelen is only good to about 250 with those big bullets. At least that is what everyone tells me! :twisted:

Thanks guys, I guess the Whelen is ideal for marten and barely adequate for coyotes :lol:

gerry":34s1ro0q said:
Thanks guys, I guess the Whelen is ideal for marten and barely adequate for coyotes :lol:

Yep, amazing that little marten needs 225 grains. Maybe them elk need 55? J/K That's a dang nice shot on the yote!

Back