2014 Mule Deer

STW

Beginner
Apr 18, 2006
My son took this buck on the last day of the mule deer season. He was using my 300 RUM and 150 gr TTSX bullets. My son spotted the buck about 3/4 mile away and we watched him bed and get up and bed again for about an hour. Once we were confident he would stay down we stalked to about the 200 yard mark. He folded out the bipod and lay prone on the snow the first shot just passed over the deers back then next shot the buck was standing broadside until the bullet went thru his shoulders. It took us four trips @ 6 hours one way to get it done. Weather for the most part hampered us whenever we made it to our hunting location. The last day was almost calm and minus 27C. My son passed on several decent bucks on our trips until this guy showed himself. I treasure any trip I get with him regardless of the outcome.

Attachments

• DSC00012 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00012 (800x600).jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 337
Congrats on the time with your son! OH My goodness but that is a beast of a deer. How old do you suppose he was? CL

Man there are some huge bucks in Saskatchewan congrats to your boy. A 150 gr TTSX in a 300 RUM is going to shoot flat and hit real hard.........

Congratulations on a true trophy. Your son did very well, indeed. His buck definitely has some fine headgear.

That is a great Mule Deer, congratulations on a fine buck !!!!!!!!

Was it really 16 degrees below 0??? We had 7 degrees a couple of mornings and I was cold. I can understand how weather like that would make it difficult.

Congratulations to your son that is a great Muley!! What Zone were you drawn in if you don't mind me asking!!!

PS. Hunting with family is very special it makes it all worth while :mrgreen:!

Thank you for the story and the photos!!

Blessings<
Dan

What a buck! Congratulations to you and your son. It sounds like a fantastic hunt - a lot of work and effort but very rewarding.

Hi Sask Boy, we were south of Maple Creek, and just to answer a couple other questions at the same time I think this buck would be 4.5 to 5.5 years of age just my guess. Yes it really was minus 27c last Friday morning. the old record was minus 24c for the same date. Thankfully it's warmed up

STW,

Congratulations to you and your son. That is an awesome mule deer.

JD338

Thanks for info STW. That SW corner of the province has produced some fine Mulie Bucks over the years!
Again congratulations to your Son on a fine Mulie!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back