2019 Hunting Pictures

Bill,

I shot a 321" bull on 10/6 and this little bull on about the 20th. We have cow tags that start 12/23 and run to 1/31/20 down in UT. That is the extent of my elk hunting for the year.

I need to pick your brain about WY for next year. The non-res tags sold out 7 days after the time we could buy a second tag this year so unless we get the date they allow us to buy them moved up we most likely wont get second tags in ID next year. I think we have 4 elk points in WY and because we drew for cow in UT we most likely wont draw next year.

First deer with my new ruger african 275 rigby. Bout 60 yards quartering away from me behind right front shoulder, and exited point of left front shoulder. Made about 20 yards pushing her front end. 160 gr speer hot-cor at 2600 fps worked great. Exit was slightly larger than a quarter.
1fbefc49cda7ed51fa7d05e3b42ec9c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Excellent! She's a fine looking animal that will provide some fine dining. Classic rifle that did exactly what you'd expect.

Guy Miner":2lvjuojg said:
Very nice!

Amazing how well standard bullets work at modest velocity. (y)
Sure is! I've pretty much have all my hunting loads set up with heavier bullets at moderate speeds. 275 rigby with 160 Hotcor at 2600 and 180 BT in the 30/06 at 2690 fps. The only thing I really push is my 9.3x62 with 286 gr bullets at 2500 fps, technically I guess that's still moderate speed though. I've used several mono bullets and bonded bullets. But for whitetail deer here in MS I'm still a huge fan of old soft points or tipped cup and core bullets.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed to get this guy this year ...

.30 Nosler
180gr AccuBond at 3196fps
676 yards

First bullet didn't have that familiar "the-whack" sound when it hit & he just stood there, not even a flinch.

Second bullet had the "the-whack" sound & he just stood there again, not even a flinch, no step, no noise, nothing for about 5 seconds, then he wobbled & dropped. :grin:

Both slugs recovered on the opposite side hide, took out both lungs with the 2nd bullet.

Attachments

• Elk 02 - Copy.jpg
    Elk 02 - Copy.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 2,568
  • Elk 01 - Copy.jpg
    Elk 01 - Copy.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 2,568
  • Elk 00 - Copy.jpg
    Elk 00 - Copy.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 2,568
Congrats on the bucks and bulls fellas!

And that 30 Nosler and 180 did some serious good work! Congrats.

jjs405":1cxai0x1 said:
Blessed to get this guy this year ...

.30 Nosler
180gr AccuBond at 3196fps
676 yards

First bullet didn't have that familiar "the-whack" sound when it hit & he just stood there, not even a flinch.

Second bullet had the "the-whack" sound & he just stood there again, not even a flinch, no step, no noise, nothing for about 5 seconds, then he wobbled & dropped. :grin:

Both slugs recovered on the opposite side hide, took out both lungs with the 2nd bullet.

Congratulations on a really nice bull. Hope you make a thread and post those bullets in the bullet testing section, looks like perfect performance at around 2000 fps impact velocity give or take. Love how the AccuBond's work, a good compromise between good expansion and enough toughness to survive a close range shot.

gerry":x0mvykdj said:
Hope you make a thread and post those bullets in the bullet testing section, looks like perfect performance at around 2000 fps impact velocity give or take.

Done - Thanks for the input!

Thought I would post this for fun:
My next door neighbors nephew got
His first deer yesterday. Not a bad start.image000000_02.jpg
13"g2 and 12" g3 on that right antler. (y)

35 Whelen":3iwz2bn2 said:
His first deer yesterday. Not a bad start.

Not a bad start at all. (y) Congratulations to the young hunter.

35 Whelen":oe2y79ar said:

Very nice buck !!!

:grin:

35 Whelen":3g5nhepn said:

Congratulations to the young lad. I bet that made his day. Fantastic buck.

Back