2023 Hunting Season

Tagged out on this mulie buck with irons. The old mauser still working away.

OgP4qOY.jpg
Great buck!

Well I had tag soup in Montana. Saw plenty of little bucks but only really one buck that got me excited. Saw him cross the fence onto private ground, spent most of the day sitting in that canyon waiting for him to come back. No Joy. I’ve hunted Montana about 30 times, 25 at least, by far the poorest hunting Ive ever seen. I would have dumped 8mm ‘s buck in a heartbeat.

Hope next year yields better results for you in MT.

JD338

Shot this 8 pt opening morning with the 375 H&H Mag and a 260 gr E-Tip at 65 yards, DRT.
I've got a couple of doe tags left but no hurry to fill them.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20231115_100127307.jpg
    IMG_20231115_100127307.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231115_093404672.jpg
    IMG_20231115_093404672.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Excellent buck, Jim. Interesting how the skin on the opposing side stopped the bullet.

A mild load. 170 gr Speer hot cor at 2500 fps. This load was supposed to be my practice load but it shot so well in several 8mm's, loaded up a couple hundred, and decided to use them up for hunting aswell.

Here's how this ammo shot at 100 yards out of a scoped rifle. 5 shot group.

WtizAct.jpg

A mild load. 170 gr Speer hot cor at 2500 fps. This load was supposed to be my practice load but it shot so well in several 8mm's, loaded up a couple hundred, and decided to use them up for hunting aswell.
That is more common than you might imagine. We find that our practise load works so well that we might as well use it to take game. Looks to be a fine load.

That is more common than you might imagine. We find that our practise load works so well that we might as well use it to take game. Looks to be a fine load.
Yes this is what i noticed as well. This summer i was working up a few loads for my brother in-law and niece who had bought a tikka T3x SS/laminate in 8x57 and i surprisingly had trouble getting this tikka to shoot. I was looking at getting them setup with a specific bullet and certain velocity but it didn't work out. So i decided to see how the rifle would group with my practice rounds and it shot better than all the loads i put through it. So we settled on that. I took my niece out and she shot a nice young meat buck in early September youth season. Perfect shot at 80 yards put the deer on the ground in less than 40 yards.

qW1zasO.jpg

Your niece did a fine job tagging that buck. Congratulations to her and to you for working with her to develop a load that works for her.

Nice Fallow, understand they eat very well. Big fan of the 257 Roberts Though I haven’t tried the Etip in mine.

You folks
UPDATED

This past weekend was the opener for Missouri's rifle season. Saturday morning, I shot a doe (no pics) using my Browning BLR in 358 Win using 200 Hornady SP handloads. Shot was about 80 yards and she dropped in her tracks. This was first animal I ever got with a lever action.
Sunday morning, my wife got a doe. (75 yds) and an 8 pt buck who just had to come see what the commotion was (95 yds). She used her Tikka T3x Compact 6.5 CM loaded with 120 BTs pushed by IMR 4064. The doe ran 20 yds with heart and lungs mangled and the buck dropped straight down.

On Monday I hunted with some View attachment 21416View attachment 21417 family and friends on a farm in another county. I hunted a stand new to me but where my stepson shot a big 10 pt on Saturday. I had been View attachment 21418View attachment 21419 there 20-30 minutes when an 8 pt walked directly under my stand. He continued walking straight away from me but then turned to his left. I shot him at an astounding 22 yds using my Tikka T3x 308 using Sierra 165 SBT handloads. The bullet entered his left side, destroyed the lower lobes of both lung, blew off the top of the heart, then exited. He staggered two steps right then fell over and that was it.

Besides the deer already mentioned, my youngest stepson also got a 10 pt Saturday evening. All in all, a great start to the season for us.

Ron

Today (11-18) I shot a doe at 131 yds using my Tikka T3x, 6.5 CM, 129 SST handload, first tine using a suppressor. Dropped her in

UPDATED

This past weekend was the opener for Missouri's rifle season. Saturday morning, I shot a doe (no pics) using my Browning BLR in 358 Win using 200 Hornady SP handloads. Shot was about 80 yards and she dropped in her tracks. This was first animal I ever got with a lever action.
Sunday morning, my wife got a doe. (75 yds) and an 8 pt buck who just had to come see what the commotion was (95 yds). She used her Tikka T3x Compact 6.5 CM loaded with 120 BTs pushed by IMR 4064. The doe ran 20 yds with heart and lungs mangled and the buck dropped straight down.

On Monday I hunted with some View attachment 21416View attachment 21417 family and friends on a farm in another county. I hunted a stand new to me but where my stepson shot a big 10 pt on Saturday. I had been View attachment 21418View attachment 21419 there 20-30 minutes when an 8 pt walked directly under my stand. He continued walking straight away from me but then turned to his left. I shot him at an astounding 22 yds using my Tikka T3x 308 using Sierra 165 SBT handloads. The bullet entered his left side, destroyed the lower lobes of both lung, blew off the top of the heart, then exited. He staggered two steps right then fell over and that was it.

Besides the deer already mentioned, my youngest stepson also got a 10 pt Saturday evening. All in all, a great start to the season for us.

Ron

Today (11-18) I shot a doe at 131 yds using my Tikka T3x, 6.5 CM, 129 SST handload, first tine using a suppressor. Dropped her in her tracks.View attachment 21445
You folks did right well. Congratulations, Dan.

Yeah, Dan, we had a great year. On our small farm (38 acres) we're in the middle of several bedding areas and have grain fields in close proximity. We have some areas of deer habitat on our land as well but mainly we have deer passing through. Regardless, we took 5 does and a buck during firearms season and still have some archery season left to go.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of congratulations.

Ron

Back