.22 pistol for trapping

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
Seems like about every third year I have to buy a new one.

I was buying the Taurus revolvers but they have so many damb problems.

I would like it to be able to shoot mags- shorts.
stainless steel
accurate.
and light.
Remember it will be used ALOT and get wet.
I will religiously clean it every 10000 rounds weather it needs it or not.. :grin:

Any recommendation

Second the SP101.
If single action will work, the Single Ten from Ruger is nice and durable.

I/we * my dad and I) have been using the same Ruger Single Six since 1973! My dad preferred the regular .22 cylinder ( and shot everything from shorts, longs, long rifle, Stingers,etc) I myself preferred the .22 Magnum. It was and is still accurate/tight and one sweet pistol to own and use! The tiny Bearcat ( new model) needed some smith work) but after I got it tweeked it too was a real shooter. I also had a Kimber .22 Conversion Unit put on a 1911 CDP that was extremely accurate. Have a ball dude! P.S. I too have "wasted" much money on Taurus revolvers, both reg. .22 and Magnum. What a joke!)

I also have a ruger single six. Mine was new in 1971. The cost was 81.00 dollars with tax. Love the gun. Very accurate. The mag cylinder adds to the versatility of a 22 cal. I would not hesitate to buy another in Stainless for wet weather use. Probably would not like the price tag much though.

I use the stainless Bearcat for a trapline gun. No complaints at all.

I really like the new SP101 from Ruger, although a convertible Single Six would be hard to beat. If you ever have a problem with it, Ruger will take care of you.

preacher":3ekklbaz said:
I/we * my dad and I) have been using the same Ruger Single Six since 1973! My dad preferred the regular .22 cylinder ( and shot everything from shorts, longs, long rifle, Stingers,etc) I myself preferred the .22 Magnum. It was and is still accurate/tight and one sweet pistol to own and use! The tiny Bearcat ( new model) needed some smith work) but after I got it tweeked it too was a real shooter. I also had a Kimber .22 Conversion Unit put on a 1911 CDP that was extremely accurate. Have a ball dude! P.S. I too have "wasted" much money on Taurus revolvers, both reg. .22 and Magnum. What a joke!)
>> I like the single six for trapping as well! and I'm a smith guy (y)

sure wish we could find one that fired mags, shorts, long rifles with out changing the cylinder.

yellow dog":1x2w6g78 said:
sure wish we could find one that fired mags, shorts, long rifles with out changing the cylinder.

I have a Ruger stainless single six convertible. I carry it a lot and sweat a lot in this heat and humidity. It has held up well.
Never thought about it before but I just wonder if you could fire all 3 with the magnum cylinder?
Maybe not. I seem to remember a diameter difference.

Yea,thats right. The 22 mag is .240 in dia. while the 22 long rifle is only .225 in dia. That ain,t gonna work.

that is the problem....

some day some one will figure it out. what ever I buy I need it to be able to shoot both out of it.
sounds like I will have to get a ruger with multiple cylinders

Back