.223 rebore

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
picked up a mod 70 .223 for next to nothing. wondering about having it rechambered to .22-250 or .224 weatherby the gun has a 1/8 twist which I thought was awful fast for a factory gun.

I have several .223 in many types of gun really want a .224 bee as im a huge weatherby fan.

I picked the gun up for some money owed to me that I had long sense written off so I have room to play with it.

That 1-8 twist in a 22-250 would be nice. It's going to take some bolt and action work to go to bigger bolt face cartridge. 22-250 will be easier to do.

...long & expensive way around just to use a fast twist barrel. I'd look @ selling or trading it as a downpayment on an action/ rifle that will suit your wants/ needs w/ a 0.473" bolt face, instead of the 0.378"...

I agree with "Wildgene" - I would either use it as a .223, which does remarkably well using heavier bullets and a fast twist barrel like you've got.

Or, since you've got very little into it, sell or trade it for something you do want.

Going from .223 Rem to .22-250 will require altering the bolt face as well as re-chambering. At a minimum.

I'd just shoot it as a fast-twist .223, that's not all bad.

Regards, Guy

You could also set the barrel back a turn and make it into a 223 AI. Nice little bump in performance and not as much metal work to the action.

Gene and Guy are probably right, you could get farther selling it and starting fresh over tryng to change everything.

I bumped my fast twist 223 to 223AI and never looked back. The 75gr Amax is an incredible bullet and I am very consistent to 800yd (farthest gong we have here) It is an incredibly fun cartridge.

Sent from ACLakey's Android

I hadn't even thought of the .223 AI!

Hear all kinds of good things about that one...

Guy Miner":36ovuq5l said:
I hadn't even thought of the .223 AI!

Hear all kinds of good things about that one...

Oh man, now that sounds cool. You can get one of the little Ruger American's in a 223 with a 1-8 twist.. Throw a reamer at that baby and wow, talk about a cool little rifle you wouldn't worry about beating up too much..

With the 75gr Amax at 3050fps it matches the ballistics exactly shooting 150gr Hornadys out of my 30-06. Exactly the same BC, same Velocity... Less than half the powder.... Far less recoil.... Loads of fun.

Sent from ACLakey's Android

Back