.224 80 gr CCs and a 22-250

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Couple of weeks ago Creedmore and I spent the day in his garage in 100 degree heat glass bedding my 22-250 and my VSSF 308.
I changed the stocks on both of them.
The 250 got a new B&C Medalist A2 after I got the front opened up enough to get the barrel free floated.
Here it is in the new stock.

Well I finally got to the club yesterday with it to due some load development.
Our 100 yard range is closed for a remodel so we were shooting at the 200 yard line
Started off with an 80 gr Amax and it was so-so.
Then moved on to the 80 Gr Nosler Custom Competitions.
The first group looked like this

We have a reloading room there at the range so I headed in there and loaded 8 more.
Sent three downrange to zero the rifle.
When I got her shooting to point of aim I looked at him and said
"Well lets see if she'll group when she's hot "
I fired the last 5 rounds about as fast as I could cycle the bolt and get back on the target.
Creed was on the spotting scope and every time I'd shoot he was laughing. I couldn't see the target well enough even with the scope at 20x to see the group. He just kept telling me " Don't think Meat, just throw" .

The final 5 looked like this.

Needless to say, I'm tickled.
Oh and my math there? Ignore it.
I measured center to center, not outside to outside.
Can't subtract the .224 :roll:

The VSSF got a new M40 Medalist.
Took her out of the HS Precision factory stock.

She's not shooting too badly either.

Looks to have been a solid move, Howard. You have to love the way that 22-250 responded to your loving care.

Ain't loving care Dr Mike.
It's a new friend that has turned me to the dark side.
Being able to hit small targets a longs ways off with precision.
Can't match him with a shotgun, he's a natural.
I can almost keep up with him with a rifle though.

I just bought an S&S Precision built 6BR Norma but couldn't get her zeroed yesterday.
Gotta ditch the 20MOA base and start over.

Between my love of duck hunting, sporting clays, 5 stand and now this precision rifle stuff?
I'm headed to the poor house.
But it's gonna be a heck of a trip.
Thank goodness I have an understanding wife......

Congrats! I really like how the .22-250 handled those heavy 80 grainers! You did good. A lot of folks who haven't been exposed to it don't understand that match/benchrest shooting isn't sloooow. It's fast. Observe the conditions, compensate for them, and get the five rounds off as quickly as they can be aimed, before the conditions change!

The 155 Sierra will shoot tighter than that, by a good margin. Consider backing off the powder charge a tad... Just a thought.

Good work!

Guy

Guy,
Thanks for the encourament.
The 308 has been with me for a long time now.
Killed a pile of deer with it.
Funny thing is I shot some of my hunting bullets yesterday,
165 NBTs and they grouped better at 200 than the Sierras.
It's a work in process.....

This weekend? It's a poor chip match.
Poker chips at 200.
40 targets for score.

Cool. That should be FUN.

I've got rather a lot of shooting ahead of me this week and next.

Guy

HTDUCK":2bjkl3ne said:
Between my love of duck hunting, sporting clays, 5 stand and now this precision rifle stuff?
I'm headed to the poor house.
But it's gonna be a heck of a trip.
Thank goodness I have an understanding wife......

I hear ya'. We should arrive at impoverishment about the same time. :grin: Heckuva trip.

Howard, that fast twisted 22-250 is right up my alley. When I get another 22-250, I won't settle for any less than a 1-8 twist for it. I just think it would be a blast using the heavies in it and blapping steel way out there. Once you figure the tiny amount of powder needed to feed it, it becomes a no brainer! Great set up and excellent shooting. I am watching you pave the way on this one...

Thanks Scotty.
I'm really enjoying this rifle.
My plan is to use it as a coyote gun and smacking steel a long ways off.

I shot it in a poker chip match last Sunday with the same load.
It didn't go too well.
Rifle was zeroed dead on at 200 when we started and everything went down hill from there.
After the third relay I decided I'd had enough and shot the last of the ammo I had at the sighter target.
I think the heat (it was about 102) and shooting 10 rounds in 8 minutes was more than this rifle is capable of.

The sighter target.
First round is on the right.
It progresses to the left with the final round on the top left.

I'm with you though. 1/7 or 1/8 223s are common.
Why they don't build 22-250s with 1/8 barrels is beyond me?

But now if you wanna talk about one that sips powder?
Check out the newest addition to the stable..

Very handsome 6BR, Howard. Too bad about the heat; it can play havoc with a rifle.

DrMike":26e0v03u said:
Very handsome 6BR, Howard. Too bad about the heat; it can play havoc with a rifle.

Yeah but Dr Mike you and I both know, fall in Dallas is only 6 months away..... :mrgreen:

Cool shoot Howard!

That 6BR is a really neat one. Joel is doing very well with his this year.

Just got this from a buddy who thought the barrel was shot out.
I think it was his reloading technique, not enough neck tension w the dies he was using.

30 grs of Varget and a 107 SMK, 5 shots Sat afternoon under an inch at 200 yards.
Twice. Once me on the trigger another group a buddy shot.
It was hot, windy and the mirage was horrible.
It's getting a more capable scope than the 4x20 Minox that's on it now.
It came w two stocks too. The one it's in now and a Medalist A2 so I can shoot in off a bipod.
This is gonna be fun !

HTDUCK":1ld5n3x2 said:
DrMike":1ld5n3x2 said:

Yeah but Dr Mike you and I both know, fall in Dallas is only 6 months away..... :mrgreen:

Hey, it will get cool there ... eventually. :lol: I was shooting in Dallas weather today--28 C and still as death. I shot some very fine groups with my .280. That is shaping up to be my moose/black bear rifle this year.

DrMike, are you on a mission? You have all those neat cannons and your moose rifle is a .280 Rem? I wanna shoot something big with my 9.3mm! :mrgreen:

DrMike":3hj59lfx said:
I have to fight myself not to tote the Brenneke, Charlie. :grin:

ofcouse...the 9,3x64 has an appeal.....ever thought of the 9,3x70 DWM magnum?. That must ultimately be the superboy of them all.

Back