25-06...22" barrel

SakoSteve270wsm

Handloader
Apr 17, 2007
Thinking about a Tikka in 25-06.They have a 22" barrel....I should still be able to get 3300 with a 100gr. BT ?Anyone ever own/load for a 22" 25-06?

7mm-08 and 6.5 Swede are in the running also,but leaning to the 25-06.

Never shot a 25-06, but I do like my 7mm-08. Its in a m-7 with the 18" barrel. Use it for goat hunting. Our goats are slow, but like small places on rocky mountains. So it works for me.

SakoSteve270wsm":av8ddtxt said:
Thinking about a Tikka in 25-06.They have a 22" barrel....I should still be able to get 3300 with a 100gr. BT ?Anyone ever own/load for a 22" 25-06?

All nice choices and they were all in the running when I chose my go to deer rifle. I studied all the ballistics pretty closely and ended up with a .260 remington mainly because of the bullet weights from 95 to 140. The 25-06 and the swede won't fit in the short action and the 7-08 most bullets start a little heavier due to the 7 mag popularity.

However of the three listed I would probably go for the 6.5 swede, I am sold on the 6.5 bullet performance, amazing.

I like to be contrary sometimes so I didn't buy the 25-06 just because quite a few people I know have one. Then what did I do, go out and buy a 30-06 sako for my next gun; everyone has atleast one 30-06 :lol:

One caliber I have always wanted was a 7X57 maybe just for nostalgia sake that and it doesn't shoot half bad either.

Most people in the know recommend a 24"-26" barrel to get the full powder burn and velocity potential with the 25-06. Same for the 270 and 30-06.

Barrel length is always an interesting choice. I've got a 24" .25-06 and it churns up 3340 fps with a 100 gr bullet at near max loads. Fun to shoot, little recoil, accurate and deadly.

I don't think you'd lose a lot with a 22" barrel - but that's a guess on my part. I've got a couple of relatively short barreled rifles that are still plenty useful. It is interesting though that my 21" .30-06 and my 24" .308 both shoot a 165 gr bullet to about 2750 fps, despite the .30-06 using quite a bit more powder to get there...

If you like the Tikka, and the .25-06, I think you'll be fine with it. Suspect you'll lose about 50 fps from the velocity possible with a 24" barreled rifle - insignificant.

Regards, Guy

SakoSteve270wsm":3k9cqyxl said:

.............................................Since I have some chrony experience with shorter barrels, namely a 16.5" barreled 300 WSM Ruger Frontier compact, I will tell you that any velocity loss with a 22" barrel vs. a 24 or 26" will be a very low percentage!...........For instance, my velocity loss for my 16.5"er averages between 4% and 5% vs. other 300 WSM`s with 24" barrels which are 31% longer!!.........Taking into account that all rifles are individually different, your velocity loss should be anywhere from 15 fps. to 30 fps. for every inch of shorter barrel length! A 2" difference would mean 30 fps. to a 60 fps., a 4" from 60 fps. to 120 fps..............Realistically? That low a percentage of velocity loss is extremely trivial and would be absolutely ridiculous to even think that a 22" barreled 25-06 can`t do the same thing in the field that a 24" or a 26" er can do!............With the advent of many new powders over recent years, the shorter compact barrels will compete in every way with their longer counterparts!!............Don`t think so you say???.......................How about a 150 gr. @ 3155 fps!............a 180 gr. @ 2994 fps...............a 200 gr. @ 2828 fps!...................Yep! A 300 WSM and all from a 16.5" tube!................They are all maximum loads, but no pressure signs and groups averaging 1.20" and less!.............My individual rifle may be the exception, but nevertheless a 22" 25-06 will do everything a 24' er or a 26"er can do!!

My personal thoughts/experience are for the 25-06 I like a 24" tube. 26 is even better. I will not buy a 22". Maybe it is all in my head but.......

Tikka makes a nice gun. unfortinatly there longest barrel lenth is 600mm. That works out to about 23.6 inches. If I remember correctly there shorter barrels are 550mm, or 21.6 inches.
I'm with POP in my love for long barrels. With the right powder in a .270 Win the difference between a 22 and 26" tube can mean an extra 200fps. My 16" AR is consistantly 200fps slower then my buddies 20" AR.
Barrel length and powder selection are key to a top performing rifle. Just ask Roy Weatherby.

Exactly!

Some caliber go with longer barrels. Example
25-06 24" or more

All WBY cals 26" or more

7mm rem mag /300 win mag 24" or more

22-250 24" or more
220 swift 26"

...... and so on. Again it could be my imagination but that is what I like.

Only a chrony will know for sure!............In my Sierra manual for the 25-06, a 100 grainer from a 26" tube shows 3400 fps. From a 22" er, assuming the VERY worst case scenario (a 50 fps. per inch loss), you`re still at 3200 fps................Still, given the same identical re-loads in bolt action rifles, I`ll predict that the actual velocity loss per inch, will only be between 15fps. to 30 fps.....In some cases there may be a larger spread, but for the most part, I`ll still stand by the 15 to 30 fps. per inch difference!..........If the Tikka looks good, feels good for you to handle and to shoulder, then that is certainly more of a consideration than ANY velocity difference between a 22" a 24" or even a 26" barrel..........Even if the real difference was 50 fps. per inch or 200 fps. (which I doubt), that extra 200 fps. in MV won`t make any difference for effect on whatever you`re hunting, given the same range with a minimal bullet drop difference! AND it shouldn`t make any difference whether you fill your tags or not!.....If so, then it`s you and not a rifle with a 22" barrel...........

Something else!..........Whether a 100 gr. velocity from a 25-06 is 3200, 3400, or 4000 fps., the vitals or kill zone on any animal still needs to be hit...................Say one hunter is using a 30-378 Wby. while the other uses a 300 Win. (about a 500 fps. difference). Both see big bulk elks at 500 yards. Both shoot! The hunter with the 30-378 for some reason misses the vitals (wounding the animal), while the 300 Win. hunter is dead on the mark into the vitals! Guess who made the more successful kill?? Assuming they both hit the vitals, neither elk will go anywhere! A 300 Win. certainly has enough down range energy for elk at 500 yards.........Yes! Velocity is needed for enough down range energy and effect, but a 200 fps. difference or less in MV from a 25-06, 100 gr. bullet, will make no difference if the vitals are hit in the same place shooting from the same range!..........The last time I checked, an animals vitals are in the center of his body. The bullet doesn`t need to completely penetrate his body, then go through a tree on the other side of the animal somewhere in order to do the job effectively!

Big Squeeze":yw1uvtva said:
.........Even if the real difference was 50 fps. per inch or 200 fps. (which I doubt), that extra 200 fps. in MV won`t make any difference for effect on whatever you`re hunting, given the same range with a minimal bullet drop difference! AND it shouldn`t make any difference whether you fill your tags or not!.......

Bullet is spot on! But like I said it is in fact a personal thing.
Bottom line if you like the Tikka go for it. The animals will never know the diff.

SakoSteve,
Forgive my memory, but don't you already have a .260? So the Sweede would be very close to that. ??
If not, the B/C of the 6.5 is Awesome ! I have a ok, two now .260's and a 7-08. I like them both. Can't speak for the 25-06 but I have seen the results of it's performance on both deer and elk and it's impressive.

Like POP stated.... all down to personal preference.....good luck on the decisions...

POP":2vho78b2 said:
Big Squeeze":2vho78b2 said:
.........Even if the real difference was 50 fps. per inch or 200 fps. (which I doubt), that extra 200 fps. in MV won`t make any difference for effect on whatever you`re hunting, given the same range with a minimal bullet drop difference! AND it shouldn`t make any difference whether you fill your tags or not!.......

Bullet is spot on! But like I said it is in fact a personal thing.
Bottom line if you like the Tikka go for it. The animals will never know the diff.

I have to agree about the long barrels I like them as soon as my barrel goes south in my 25-06 I'm get'n a 26" and maybe going with the 25-06 AI. So if you want a long barrel go for it its your money :grin:

First of all thanks guys for the imput. :)

russ808,

I have a video of Ted Nugent bow hunting goats in Hawaii.Rugged and beautiful country.

idg397,

I am starting to feel like you on the 6.5 caliber.After researching it more I can see MUCH to like about the 6.5's !Funny I never paid much attention to them before,don't know why.

Big Squeeze,

I am very well aware that a bullet in the vitals is the most important part.And that it takes a lot less MV and power to kill than most people think.To ME the whole point of the 25-06 is the high velocity,if you can't get that whats the point?Thats why I am wondering just how much velocity will be lost with 2" less barrel.From your experiance with the 16.5" barrel your data is helpful thanks man. :)

Powerstroke,

Nope no 260.those 6.5 bullets are awesome!You and idg397 have really got me second guessing the 25-06. :)

POP,

When I was typing out my question I would have bet money on your response. :p

To me what makes the 25-06 special is the MV.If you can't run it full speed whats the point.I might be able to get good MV with a 22" barrel but maybe not,would hate to find out I can't after the purchase :) .Do you need all that MV,will and extra 30-50 fps make a bit of difference? Like Big Squeeze pointed out nope heh.After reading all of your imput I think I will pass on the 22" 25-06.Going to look at the Swede some more,really starting to warm to it.And it kinda fits to run the Swede in a Finnish rifle. 8)

Note on the Tikka,

The Tikka's just fit me better than any other rifle I have ever handled.The stock dimentions and shape fit me to a tee,its light without being to light and very accurate.There is no perfect rifle for everyone,but the Tikka comes as close as a factory rifle can for me.Plus they are affordable heh. 8)

Again thanks for letting me bounce a question off you guys and your imput.It also helps me to think outloud so to speak heh. :)

SakoSteve........................In choosing a new rifle, regardless of which one you wind up with, the first considerations are weight, handling, manuverability, or in essence as much as a user friendly rifle as possible that is right for you!..........I owned a 9 lb. 10 oz. w/scope, 24" barreled, full sized 300 Win. Mag. for 35+ years. I reloaded that cartridge for 35+ years, hunted with it for 35+ years and it virtually did everything I could ask for during all that time................Last year, as I read more about compact rifles, I learned that their performances levels can indeed come very close to the full length barrels and decided to make that change.......... Now! My 300 WSM compact with bullet weights up to and including the 180 gr. bullet, does come very close in performance to my old full sized 300 Win. But in the process of changing over, I reduced the rifle weight with scope by almost 2 1/2 lbs., is much easier in the field to hunt with, to carry, is more manuverable, quicker to shoulder, to target, to store, etc......................What`s my point? Whether you pick a 25-06, a 6.5 or anything else, regardless of barrel length, first CHOOSE the rifle that fits YOU the best!! Don`t worry about the velocity too much! That will come.........3200 fps. from a 25-06 with a 100 gr. bullet from a 22" barrel, is no light weight and will do anything that 3400 fps. from a 26" `er can do. If you like a 22" barrel better than the 24" or 26" barrels because of the reasons I mentioned above, then that should be your first priorty......You buy the right rifle and caliber first, then the velocity will follow....Too many hunters buy the velocity first and then later regret the added weight, the longer barrels when hunting in brush and close cover, lack of quicker manuverability and so on!....I know because I`ve heard them complain and still do....... You say that there is no point in owning a 25-06 unless you can get the max. velocity possible from that cartridge through a 26" barrel. I will kindly disagree with you. The point in owning a 25-06, a 6.5 or anything else, should not be determined by whether it propels a bullet at 3200 vs. 3400 fps., especially when 3200 fps. is as adequate!.............Buy the rifle you want first! Everything else will later fall into its proper place!

SakoSteve270wsm":1c8sf6yp said:
First of all thanks guys for the imput. :)

russ808,

I have a video of Ted Nugent bow hunting goats in Hawaii.Rugged and beautiful country.

idg397,

I am starting to feel like you on the 6.5 caliber.After researching it more I can see MUCH to like about the 6.5's !Funny I never paid much attention to them before,don't know why.

Big Squeeze,

I am very well aware that a bullet in the vitals is the most important part.And that it takes a lot less MV and power to kill than most people think.To ME the whole point of the 25-06 is the high velocity,if you can't get that whats the point?Thats why I am wondering just how much velocity will be lost with 2" less barrel.From your experiance with the 16.5" barrel your data is helpful thanks man. :)

Powerstroke,

Nope no 260.those 6.5 bullets are awesome!You and idg397 have really got me second guessing the 25-06. :)

POP,

When I was typing out my question I would have bet money on your response. :p

To me what makes the 25-06 special is the MV.If you can't run it full speed whats the point.I might be able to get good MV with a 22" barrel but maybe not,would hate to find out I can't after the purchase :) .Do you need all that MV,will and extra 30-50 fps make a bit of difference? Like Big Squeeze pointed out nope heh.After reading all of your imput I think I will pass on the 22" 25-06.Going to look at the Swede some more,really starting to warm to it.And it kinda fits to run the Swede in a Finnish rifle. 8)

Note on the Tikka,

The Tikka's just fit me better than any other rifle I have ever handled.The stock dimentions and shape fit me to a tee,its light without being to light and very accurate.There is no perfect rifle for everyone,but the Tikka comes as close as a factory rifle can for me.Plus they are affordable heh. 8)

Again thanks for letting me bounce a question off you guys and your imput.It also helps me to think outloud so to speak heh. :)

If you want high velocity and a 6.5 you need to go for the 6.5-284 but not available in factory rifles. I haven't looked into the 6.5 rem mag much so I could give you any advice on that. I settled on the 6.5 bullet and then set out to find a rifle and ended up the first thing I saw was a great deal on a .260. I would love to have a new sako greywolf in 6.5X55 to have matching set with my 30-06. Supposedly the 6.5 can exceed the .260 with reloads but I have not researched it that much yet. I really love the 6.5 bullet because it is a perfect range of bullet weights for my battery of rifles and bridges between the varmint calibers and my 30-06. However, with the 100's you don't get quite as good a performance as the 25-06 and with the heavier bullets you don't get quite as good a performance as the 7-08. Although when you compare the same bullet weights .260 vs 7-08 the .260 starts out way behind but starts to catch up and actually passes the 7-08 at 400 yards with velocity and energy just becuase of the streamlined shape of the 6.5 retains the velocity and energy longer.

Back