250 Accubond performance on large moose

Charlie-NY

Handloader
Mar 11, 2005
Just returned from Newfoundland where I had a successful hunt for moose and bear. Because I was expecting (potentially) a long shot on the moose, I worked up a load with the 250gr AccuBond in my 338RUM. Rifle easily kept all bullets within an inch at 300yds with a muzzle velocity of 2,900 ft/sec.
A large moose (15 point) was located at 1,000 yds on the opposite mountainside. A little calling got the bull's attention and he headed down the mountain and worked his way to my location. An hour later the big guy popped out of the wood line at 54 yds. That bull looked like something right out of Jurassic Park. He was freakin' huge.
The bull turned broadside as I got the crosshair on his shoulder and kaBoom! The high shoulder shot lifted that bull straight up and flipped him backwards, planting his two big palms into the ground behind him.
Bullet traveled completely through the bull and was found under the hide on the off side. Recovered bullet weight was a mere 102gr. That's about 40% in bullet weight retention. Probably not bad considering the tough target and short range, high velocity impact.

Well, congrats on that bull!,,sounds like great performance. I'm headed there for moose in November, any pics of that brute :?:

Lou

A good job on a big Moose :wink:! I am looking forward to a few photos if you have them available.
Again congratulations on a nice trophy.

Blessings,
Dan

Congratulations on a fine moose. Would really like to see some pictures of the moose and the bullet if it's recovered.

Very nice! Can't wait for the pictures.. Sounds like that bullet made a serious impact!

I too await the pictures as I'm heading to Newfoundland in September of 2015.
Congrats mi amigo.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your moose. I have had similar performance from the 225 AB out of 338 rum.

The AccuBond and big 338s are serious moose medicine.

I too await pictures

Nice work. Congratulations on your bull moose.
Post some pictures of your bull and the bullet.

JD338

Thanks for all the congratulatory comments. The pictures that I have are (temporarily) tied up in my I-Phone which has been giving me some trouble. Hopefully, I'll get some images posted shortly.

Let's see if this works.

Moose_2014.JPG

Field_Dress_Moose.JPG

Nice Moose Charlie!..I'd be happy with a bull like that in 5 more weeks! 8)

Lou

Charlie that is soooooo awesome. Congrats on a super looking moose and hunt. I only dream of hunting moose some day.

Thanks guys - that's another one off the "bucket list"! Currently looking for a buffalo hunt, mountain lion hunt and a return trip for a trophy elk.

Nice looking mature bull! What's the spread 42-45". I really like the square look to those antlers and that deep dished palms. Are you going to shoulder mount it?

In that kind of rough terrain it is often easier to quarter it out before you gut it. I bet that was a fun pack out!!

Congratulations on a fine moose. He is nice and dark. They are lovely. TB is correct in noting that in the rough stuff they are often easier to quarter and pack out.

Congratulations on a fine bull! Im hoping to hunt moose in the next few years! Sounds like your rifle and load worked flawlessly!

That is a great moose, congratulations. Looked like an easy pack out to, nice and level with no obstacles. Glad you had a great hunt !!!!!

Back