250 Accubond performance on large moose

Thebear_78":1zey8e1h said:
Nice looking mature bull! What's the spread 42-45". I really like the square look to those antlers and that deep dished palms. Are you going to shoulder mount it?

In that kind of rough terrain it is often easier to quarter it out before you gut it. I bet that was a fun pack out!!

The palms were 40" wide with most of their mass growing "up" rather than "apart" (wide). All in all, an impressive bull.

The terrain was much more rugged than the picture indicates and it took quite awhile to get the quads to the downed moose. Wet bogs and steep rocky inclines surrounded the area preventing any other motorized equipment from getting in.

The moose was quartered where he fell and hauled out. Fortunately, I shot the moose at 8:30am and had the balance of the day to rally the troops and get the moose out.

I decided to do a full shoulder mount even though I have no idea where such a large mount can be hung. I live in an average home with 8' ceilings and not much room for a nose protruding 3' off the wall. :roll: :shock: :grin: LOL
[/color]

Generally when I have a moose down in rough country like that I will skin out the side facing up, lay the hide back behind it as I skin, and remove the front/rear quarters. Then I'll skin back to other side of the spine and remove the back straps and neck meat.

Then it is much easier to roll over back onto hide. Repeat on the other side until you have all four quarters removed and torso sitting on the hide belly down.

Then cut the bottom of the ribs free from the breast bone on either side. This is easily done with a knife, and cut the top of the ribs free from the spine with a Wyoming saw with bone saw blade.

Life the ribs free of the guts cutting the diaphragm free and skin along rear of ribs. Then lift the pelvis/ spine off the guts and cut off the tenderloins.

That's about it. If done right it saves you from having to dig in and swim thru the guts. It's fairly quick and the cleanest way to go about it. All you need is a small sharp knife, I use a havalon piranta, and a Wyoming saw. You can do this in about an hour if you have someone to help you hold legs back and such.

I have seen a lot of guys used to hunting whitetails open a moose up and gut it like they do a deer, it's messy, and heavy. Climbing in and digging the guts out is a chore. Not to mention that when you have all that weight pressing down the guts tend to explode out on top of you when you open it up.

It can be pretty intimidating walking up to that huge animal when your used to dealing with a whitetail 1/10 that size. I tried the old standard gut method on my first moose and remember it well!!! This method has worked out MUCH better for me ever since

Again congrats on a really nice bull and several hundred pounds of excellent meat. There is nothing better than moose meat!

Thebear_78":n6ofbcn9 said:
Generally when I have a moose down in rough country like that I will skin out the side facing up, lay the hide back behind it as I skin, and remove the front/rear quarters. Then I'll skin back to other side of the spine and remove the back straps and neck meat.

Then it is much easier to roll over back onto hide. Repeat on the other side until you have all four quarters removed and torso sitting on the hide belly down.

Then cut the bottom of the ribs free from the breast bone on either side. This is easily done with a knife, and cut the top of the ribs free from the spine with a Wyoming saw with bone saw blade.

Life the ribs free of the guts cutting the diaphragm free and skin along rear of ribs. Then lift the pelvis/ spine off the guts and cut off the tenderloins.

That's about it. If done right it saves you from having to dig in and swim thru the guts. It's fairly quick and the cleanest way to go about it. All you need is a small sharp knife, I use a havalon piranta, and a Wyoming saw. You can do this in about an hour if you have someone to help you hold legs back and such.

I have seen a lot of guys used to hunting whitetails open a moose up and gut it like they do a deer, it's messy, and heavy. Climbing in and digging the guts out is a chore. Not to mention that when you have all that weight pressing down the guts tend to explode out on top of you when you open it up.

It can be pretty intimidating walking up to that huge animal when your used to dealing with a whitetail 1/10 that size. I tried the old standard gut method on my first moose and remember it well!!! This method has worked out MUCH better for me ever since

Again congrats on a really nice bull and several hundred pounds of excellent meat. There is nothing better than moose meat!

Great tip Bear.
I'm hoping to give it a try next year.

JD338

That's a great moose! A euro mount may save you some space as compared to a full shoulder mount. Looks like the AB done its job with authority.

Charlie that is a fine bull Moose again congratulations & thank you for the photos as well!!

Blessings,
Dan

Charlie,
Congrats on the Bull Moose buddy. You certainly had the right rifle with you to do the Job.
Should prove to be fine table fare this winter.

Don

Moose is on the menu tonight! Mama has a few reservations about eating moose but, hopefully, that will change. Her favorite is wild boar but deer are a no-go for her. It's a mental thing. lol
My Golden Retriever was raised on raw meat, bones and organic fruits and vegetables. He nearly did back flips when I added raw moose meat to his food. I have never seen him lick the bowl so many times. :lol: :lol:

The wife is planning a Moose-Toberfest for all of our friends. Looking over a few recipes at a time. Loads of info on the web.

Congrats on the moose, he is a beauty. Moose meat is some of the very best out there so I bet your wife will want you to get another one some day, provided the butcher did a good job of course.

Moose-toberfest sounds fascinating! I need to get my act together and tag out this fall. The days are fleeting.

Thebear_78":3bzpuq7f said:

I've been doing a version of this for years on elk. I don't carry an axe or saw anymore. I leave the ribs, spine and pelvis in the woods sans meat of course. It can reduce the packing by one trip.
Scott

Charlie, again, nice bull buddy!..I got 240lbs clean deboned out of my moose, how much meat did that beast yield?..Thanks,

Lou

LD375":3bje2sy0 said:
Charlie, again, nice bull buddy!..I got 240lbs clean deboned out of my moose, how much meat did that beast yield?..Thanks,
Lou

The 4 quarters hung at the butcher at 550lbs. They told me that when completely deboned and butchered i would have about 2/3's of that to bring home. If my math is still good that would be about 366 lbs. We had 9 - 151 qt coolers in the trailer so there was adequate room for the moose and butchered bear.

Charlie-NY":1m0zhqsd said:
LD375":1m0zhqsd said:
Lou

The 4 quarters hung at the butcher at 550lbs. They told me that when completely deboned and butchered i would have about 2/3's of that to bring home. If my math is still good that would be about 366 lbs. We had 9 - 151 qt coolers in the trailer so there was adequate room for the moose and butchered bear.

Thanks, I figured your bull was about 1100-1200lbs live weight (y) ..nice bull pal!
I just had some tenderloin tonight, super hummy! (y)

Lou

LD375":3l93ycs8 said:
Charlie-NY":3l93ycs8 said:
LD375":3l93ycs8 said:
Lou

Thanks, I figured your bull was about 1100-1200lbs live weight (y) ..nice bull pal!

Lou

While its nice to kill a mature bull I have found some of the steaks to be a bit tough. I've got to lean how to tenderize. :lol:
However, tonight's meatballs were great. Even the dog was doing backflips. :grin:

Charlie-NY":hjg0v22d said:
LD375":hjg0v22d said:
Charlie-NY":hjg0v22d said:
LD375":hjg0v22d said:
Lou

Lou

While its nice to kill a mature bull I have found some of the steaks to be a bit tough. I've got to lean how to tenderize. :lol:
However, tonight's meatballs were great. Even the dog was doing backflips. :grin:
Just had some steaks, marinated and super tender pal, no complaints on this end (y)

I checked the West Woods site for prices but they don't list them. Could you tell me what they get for a 5 day moose or moose/bear hunt?
How far is their camp from Deer Lake?

Back