250 Accubond performance on large moose

Wow! Very impressive. Glad the AB worked as well as it did. Never thought about it before......but field dressing a moose looks like something best accomplished buy crawling inside and kicking the guts out in front you.. :shock: Man what a project that must be. CL

Yup. Learned that method on my Wyoming bull elk about 14 years ago. Have used it on backcountry mule deer bucks a couple of times since. Works well.

Nice Moose Charlie! The 250 AB is a good bullet as well, even though I prefer the 250 gr Partitions just for shorter bullet length. I don't think that the moose would know the difference?

Try marinading them in a Jack Daniel's marinade. I found it at my local grocer and found it to be quite good for game meat.
They have a few flavors to choose from too. 24 to 48 hours in the fridge with the marinade does wonders.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Charlie-NY":2tcczaav said:
Thebear_78":2tcczaav said:
Nice looking mature bull! What's the spread 42-45". I really like the square look to those antlers and that deep dished palms. Are you going to shoulder mount it?

In that kind of rough terrain it is often easier to quarter it out before you gut it. I bet that was a fun pack out!!

The palms were 40" wide with most of their mass growing "up" rather than "apart" (wide). All in all, an impressive bull.

The terrain was much more rugged than the picture indicates and it took quite awhile to get the quads to the downed moose. Wet bogs and steep rocky inclines surrounded the area preventing any other motorized equipment from getting in.

The moose was quartered where he fell and hauled out. Fortunately, I shot the moose at 8:30am and had the balance of the day to rally the troops and get the moose out.

I decided to do a full shoulder mount even though I have no idea where such a large mount can be hung. I live in an average home with 8' ceilings and not much room for a nose protruding 3' off the wall. :roll: :shock: :grin: LOL
[/color]

...I've got a moose rack that's 39.5x39 w/ double shovels mounted on a plaque. Only place I could ever hang it was my office @ the mill w/ 12' open ceilings. Time to start thinking about an addition, Charlie... :roll: :p :lol: :mrgreen:

Charlie-NY":wnv89pev said:
I checked the West Woods site for prices but they don't list them. Could you tell me what they get for a 5 day moose or moose/bear hunt?
How far is their camp from Deer Lake?

Hi Charlie, the camp is about a 2 hour and 45 minute drive from deer lake to the camp, if you call them, tell Stewart that your a friend of mine (y) ..I'll send you a PM with the pricing, he's already pretty much booked up for Sept-Oct. Who knows, maybe we can hook up for another hunt 8) ..1st class outfitter, and best pricing for sure!

Lou

Back