.257 Roberts + Partition?

HeathSexton

Handloader
May 12, 2006
Now that my Roberts is shooting better and I have a set of dies it's time to find a bullet for deer. I have killed a couple over 200lbs but are deer are usually not very large 140-170 live weight. Would you guys recommend the 100gr Partition or the 115gr Partition for my 20" barreled Ruger Ultralight?

Thanks

I would look at the 100 gr first myself for deer but the 115 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

In the Roberts, I like the 100 gr Partition or the 110 AccuBond. My .257 Roberts gets 3100+ out of both bullets. The .257 Roberts sort of runs out of gas with the heavier 115 and 120 grain bullets. For deer, you do not need super penetration but high velocity and a large wound channel sure help. My .257 Roberts is freebored and has a full length magazine so, I can seat longer and load a little more powder.

The deer that I have killed with the Roberts were DRT and went nowhere.

Heath, I'm thinking that 100 grain PT would be pretty sweet. Works excellent in my sons 243 as well. The 115's seem to be plenty accurate as well, and I would think you could get pretty close to 2900 or better with them out of the Roberts. It's a win win in my book.

Heath,

Both 100 gr and 115 gr PT's are excellent choices.
I like the 115 gr PT and it opens up well.

JD338

Heath,

Let me clarify...the 100 gr PT will work wonders on deer.
We get some big deer around here and I feel the higher SD of the 115 gr PT would help on a hard quartering shot.
The 115 gr PT opens up fast and makes a mess of coyotes, leaving exit wounds in the slats the size of a quarter.

JD338

Well, I had my cart at Grafs loaded with the 100gr and the 115gr Partition and I decided to go with the 115, or so I thought. I deleted the wrong one from my cart and I have a box of 100gr NPT's coming. I figure if a 100gr NPT won't handle our deer I need to learn to shoot better.

I'll have some 115's to try before season. :)

Thanks guys

Aw, I think you're good to go with the 100's.

My son and I dumped quite a few deer with 95 & 100 gr Noslers from the little 6mm Rem, which is naught but a necked down .257 Roberts.

Guy

Amen to that fact, Guy! I prefer the Roberts for deer just because of the .014 bullet diameter. But that is probably nitpicking because my 6mm Rem killed deer just fine with 95 and 100 grain bullets at the same basic speed as the Roberts.

I use 100gr PAR in my daughters 257R and my pistol.
For Africa I used 120gr Swift A-Frames at 2899FPS for her. All were one shot kills. If you ever find any H-450 powder do not buy it as it is junk. Just drop me a line as to where I can get it to properly dispose of it:)

I have both the 100 Partition and the 110 AccuBond loaded to over 3100 fps in my long action, long throat .257 Roberts. Both loads shoot well under MOA to about 5/8's inch at 100 yards most of the time. The Ballistic Coefficient of these bullets are .391 and .418 respectively which means that to 300 yards there is not much difference. I need to shoot these bullets at longer ranges to ascertain if there is sany real accuracy difference to 300 yards?

I'm a bit old school perhaps, but when going with smaller calibers, I prefer the heavier bullets. Like JD said the 115's open well even on lighter deer, and also give a bit better penetration if needed. I have had good luck accuracy wise (didn't have a chance for a kill), but still prefered the 115-120 gr. PT's.

Dave, I have killed more than a few deer with the 100 Partition in the .250-3000 and the .257 Roberts, bolt actions. I do not use it for hunting when I am anticipating long range on deer (only coyotes). Normally I use it to about 250 yards maximum range. Further than that I will use my .270 or 7mm Mag.

I'm getting 3 shots around 1.5" with the 100 PT and 45.5 imr-4350 and WLR primers. I'm going to try CCI 200's to see if that makes a difference.

I have read that the NAB likes a good jump for accuracy, any NPT tips?

I got some 115 NBT's also

HeathSexton":3lnub36l said:
I'm getting 3 shots around 1.5" with the 100 PT and 45.5 imr-4350 and WLR primers. I'm going to try CCI 200's to see if that makes a difference.

I have read that the NAB likes a good jump for accuracy, any NPT tips?

I got some 115 NBT's also

I have found the PT's seem to shoot better up around the .010-.040" mark off the rifling Heath, while the AB's like it further back. The BT's seem to respond the same as the PT's. Also, PT's seem to really look their best with full PSI loads, something to really kick that base into gear.

Back