257 WM range results

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Did some shooting this morning with a buddys DE 257 Weatherby Mag. Its a rem 700 stainless action, 26" lilja, rem mcmillan stock, leupold 3-9. Nice looking rifle. My buddy didn't have time to break in or work up a load and he drew an antelope tag and his season starts in a couple weeks. So he let me take over his rifle. First I completed barrel break in and then worked up 3 loads with 100g NBT's and H4350. This is what he gave me. Knowing I didn't have a lot of time or components, I wanted to keep it short and sweet. If I could get an 1" at 100 yards, that would be good enough for an antelope hunt. So I loaded up 3 loads of 3 shots each with 62, 63, and 64g of H4350, norma case, Fed 215", OAL 3.386", .010" off the lands. As you can see by the target, all 3 loads were under 1". 64g produced the tightest with a .6xx" group at 3500fps. 63g produced a .8xx" group at 3460fps, 62g produced a .9xx" group at 3425fps. You can clearly see it really wants to shoot this combo. A little more tinkering with seating depth and it would clover leaf I guaruntee it. Although, short on time and components, I think a .7" load at 3500fps will work just fine on short time and within the first 3 loads put through the rifle.

1z4cu39.jpg

r7q6qe.jpg

295ytc.jpg

My buddy didn't have time to break in or work up a load and he drew an antelope tag and his season starts in a couple weeks. So he let me take over his rifle. First I completed barrel break in and then worked up 3 loads with 100g NBT's and H4350.

Sweet! Will he let you do the hunt also? :lol:

It is always fun to work up a load on a good looking rifle, and that one does look nice. It looks as if you have indeed found a great load that will get the job done. Congratulations on a great job.

Good job Remmy. I am sure if you had a better (for the caliber) powder you would do better. Still though under 3/4 MOA at 3500 fps is good.

Nice shooting...I'm anxious to see the pictures of his goat in the hunting section shortly. Antelope season is fast approaching!

Way to go Remmy. I knew it wouldn't take you long to get the 257 to shoot. You might now want to play with seating depth. You can probably tighten up those groups some more. Your velocity looks good. My rifle really likes imr 7828 with the 100 grain bullets and rl25 and h1000 with the 115's.
Great shooting and now we're waiting on some pics. :grin:

Remmy,

Nicely done! Not only did you find a nice load, you relit the fire for me to get a 257 Weatherby.

JD338

I have posted this question a couple of times and somehow ut never makes it to the site.
What is a DT ? .257 weatherby ?
...tj3006

Defensive Edge is a Custom Gunsmithing outfit in Rathdrum, Idaho. They have a website.

Jerry 919

Yep, DE stands for Devensive Edge Gunsmithing out of Rathdrum, Idaho. Shawn Carlock is the owner. At one time he was ranked in the top 5 gunsmiths in the country. He knows how to build an accurate LR rifle. He is the one who also built my 338 EDGE.

Anyway, I might experiment with a few different seating depths on the 257 to see what happens. Only 1 way I can go and that is deeper so we'll see.

He is planning on using 115g NBT's with Retumbo for his deer load. I will probly end up doing the load work up for it so am excited to see what it will do when teamed up with the right powder. I should be able to hit 3400fps and 1/2 MOA pretty easy I would think. I"ll keep ya'll posted.

Man, that is pretty awesome for a brand new rifle and really little old development. I would really like to get one of the Remington 257WBY or maybe an actual WBY 257. I would like to have a screamer like that for my safe, and the occasional deer. Scotty

Hi There,
i got similar groups with my stock .257 WM for years. Basically 2 very close and 1 flier around 1 inch away. I ended up changing to a slower powder, 7828. Now, I don't get the flier.

BTW, I still hunted with that rifle for the years that I did not get the really close group, but was really pleased when it tightened with the 7828.

Anyone try rotumbo? Should be even slower than 7828.
hardpan

remingtonman_25_06":12srmen4 said:
Yep, DE stands for Devensive Edge Gunsmithing out of Rathdrum, Idaho. Shawn Carlock is the owner. At one time he was ranked in the top 5 gunsmiths in the country. He knows how to build an accurate LR rifle. He is the one who also built my 338 EDGE.

Anyway, I might experiment with a few different seating depths on the 257 to see what happens. Only 1 way I can go and that is deeper so we'll see.

He is planning on using 115g NBT's with Retumbo for his deer load. I will probly end up doing the load work up for it so am excited to see what it will do when teamed up with the right powder. I should be able to hit 3400fps and 1/2 MOA pretty easy I would think. I"ll keep ya'll posted.

Remmy, when you try playing with col, I wouldn't go longer than 3.250" because the weatherby mag really likes the jump with the 100 grain bullets. I've never tried retumbo with the 115, but I have some and have not got around to trying it because rl25 and H1000 shoot so well. :grin:

Back