26 Nosler Pressure Problems

WDMELK":384s9lx7 said:
TackDriver284":384s9lx7 said:
One thing came to mind, are you having enough clearance between the loaded necks and the chamber?
I'm not sure. I have trimmed them to 2.569". Also have ordered a chamber length gauge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I meant the width of the neck clearance, sorry for not clarifying better.

TackDriver284":1xx9g4nz said:
WDMELK":1xx9g4nz said:
TackDriver284":1xx9g4nz said:
One thing came to mind, are you having enough clearance between the loaded necks and the chamber?
I'm not sure. I have trimmed them to 2.569". Also have ordered a chamber length gauge.

I meant the width of the neck clearance, sorry for not clarifying better.
I haven't measured. However, I don't experience any difficulty chambering rnds.

Just a thought, but you may want to have the gunsmith check the headspace...could be an issue???

Blkram":y4iayyc8 said:
Just a thought, but you may want to have the gunsmith check the headspace...could be an issue???
I have already asked him to do that.
Thank you

A carbon ring generally forms in the throat. Can affect accuracy and spike pressure.

Dwh7271":38t1z5g5 said:
A carbon ring generally forms in the throat. Can affect accuracy and spike pressure.
Something else to add to the list to check.
Thank you.

Do you have an update on what the issue was??? I'm very curious since I've experienced something similar in 2 of my rifles. One was just rebarreled and I sent it back to the barrel maker to have their master gunsmith see if he could figure out what is going on. The different issue for me from yours is, I had no ejector marks or flattened primers but was getting a stuck bolt on loads that were well below book max
I would love to hear what your issue turned out to be.

Hmmm, the OP is a very close friend of mine and giving him a hard time would be fun...

Dougduey I would suggest that you look for copper fouling.

Were some of the 229 factory loads, or have they all been handloads? If factory, how did they perform? Maybe try a box - if the bolt sticks contact Browning maybe.
EE2

Were some of the 229 factory loads, or have they all been handloads? If factory, how did they perform? Maybe try a box - if the bolt sticks contact Browning maybe.
EE2

After receiving the gun back from the gunsmith with an assurance the chamber was fine and the headspace was ok. I checked the chamber neck depth (2.632"), brass length @2.569".
This is where it gets embarrassing......when I was cleaning the barrel, I noticed the brush felt very tight for about the first 3 to 4 inches from the chamber, then it was easier and smother out to the muzzle. Was this possibly copper buildup??
After a very lengthy de-coppering of the barrel......a new brush would feel the same from throat to muzzle and patches came out as clean as they went in (no copper tinge).
Back to the range.
Shot 5 factory loads, ok, no pressure signs. Then shot 5 reloads, no pressure signs.
Even though I was cleaning before, it must not have been good enough or often enough.
Using QL, I have since found a load using Retumbo and B____r 140's that my gun likes. 3151 fps and 1/2 MOA.
At about 40 rnds through her, I give it a good cleaning. It was a costly lesson to learn.

Glad to hear that your 26 is acting right now. I have an MRC X2 in 26 that actually likes a little bit of a dirty bore. first 3 groups out of a clean barrel will hover around MOA then start to shrink. They are hand lapped out of the shop though so smoother than your production gun maybe. I have found some of the early Nosler factory loads to be a little warm in my rifle. Glad you are back on track.

Been following. Glad you didn't have any major issues..My nephew's 270 is bad to build up copper, The last time I had to go through getting it clean SJB358 turned me on to Dyna Bore Coat and it's amazing how much easier it is to clean now.

Back