260gr Accubond in 375 H&H for deer and elk

Grove

Beginner
Oct 9, 2006
I have a new CZ550 Safari in 375 H&H that I will be getting intimately familiar with ... and I plan on doing this by taking it hunting for deer and elk here in Central Oregon.

Does anyone have any experience with the 260gr AccuBond in this cartridge used on deer and elk? I'm concerned about how the bullet will perform at a maximum of 300 yards on a mule deer.

First off welcome to the forum! Glad to have yah!

The 260 AB will in fact open up at advertised velocities ....look here http://noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1347.

Now that said a famous gun writer (John Barness) has relayed that when this bullet came out one guy he knew used it very successfully from a 375 H&H on cape buffalo so I think you're good! :wink:

Hmmmm.
I wonder how it would work at 3200fps(in my 378"bee") :wink:
I mean, besides kick the snot out of me :shock:

I have shot elk from my X-Bee 378 with the 270 Hornie at 3150 fps+ successfully---at long and very close range. If the Hornie held up the AB will do better! Go for it.

I am still waiting for a high BC 416 AB for my 416 (Bee). I do not think its gonna happen.....

I know, it is not a long range round but I use it as such, too bad a lot of the bullets out there for the 416's are low BC. :cry:
I do have a Barnes X load-300 X at 3150 fps and shoots in the .3's at 100. Alas though I do not trust the X's for expansion.......

That is cool, POP!
I have not shot the 378 all that much, I got a pile of factory ammo off of a guy when I bought the rifle, I have put 125 rounds though her is all, and all of that 270 grain spire point stuff. I just recently loaded up some 300 grain partitions, will see how they do soon...
I agree with you on the 416 as well, I would not mind trying a high BC 400 grainer out of my Rigby. It has shot some very good groups at 100 yards with the TBBC, of all things! So, it would do alright I would think with an AccuBond. Think Nosler will ever do it :?:

I actually got 3065 fps with the 300 grain Sierra and 1.3" groups at 200 yards in my (long gone now) Lazermark. This was with 112.5 grains of IMR 7828.
Never used it on game though. I hate Sierras for hunting big game.

I did tag 2 elk though one 5x5 bull at 525 yards with the above load and the 300 BT Hornady spitzer and one bull at XXX yards with the 270 Hornady sp.
Awesome weapon! :lol:

POP,
3000+ out of a 300 grain bullet, holy smokes! :shock:
That is cool that you have killed a few elk with yours, too many times the magazines make it sound like nobody can even shoot a 378 well enough to accomplish such things, which I think is total BS(and as you have proved, obviously!! :grin: )
My 378 is the run of the mill MkV deluxe with the accubrake and a Leupold variX-3 2.5-8x.
I might just have to try some different bullets though it this winter/next spring, could be very interesting.
that 260 grain AccuBond especially sounds good.

Last year 3 shots 2 elk. 375RUM 3100fps 30 yds and 240yds. they do open and transfer energy like a swallowed hand grenade but don't bloodshoot the meet. 240yds 61% weight retention .71 cal. penetrated the full rumen(stomach) and blew out the heart /lung area and just made it out the skin. Thats 200 pounds of stomach it penetrated before the chest area. The thirty yard shot penetrated through but jellied the heart /lung area. Bloodshot meat was about what youd expect from a .308 Win. They do work like magic!! And last week an Idaho cow elk went down with 1 shot behind the shoulder at 146 yds. .338 Rum 225 gr. A/B 3080 fps. 146 yds. by the rangefinder. she went less than 40 yards. The bullet passed through but the heart lungs were jelly. It left about as much bloodshot meat as a .308 Win. would have left. I don't know how they do it but this is the third elk in a row it did it to. Thank You Nosler. Now : Where's the .416s me and Pop have been asking for?? :grin:

Greg,

Congratulations on your elk. Glad to hear that you got to break in your 338 RUM.
Post some pics if you can.

JD338

When I posted this question, I guess I didn't express my self clearly enough. I was more concerned on how rapidly the 260gr. AccuBond would open up on deer sized game ... that is starting at H&H velocities, say, 2700--2750 fps and terminating at 300 yards.

Now, if I were using the 375 RUM and pushing it out at near 3000 fps, I wouldn't be too concerned. I just don't want to tag a big muley buck in the Ochocos at 300 yards and have the bullet not expand ... and then have to try and track down a wounded animal.

Anyone with experience with the 260gr. AccuBond at 375 H&H velocities?

Thanks for all your replies ... it's been most enlightening.

Grove,

I do not have any experience with the 375 cal 260 gr AB but no worries. The AB will expand down to 1600 fps. With a MV of 2700 fps, impact velocity at 300 yds is 2160 fps and 400 yds is 1995 fps. More than enough to expand. Also keep in mind that the bullet is starting out at .375" so you should be in good shape.
http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/v ... php?t=1347

JD338

JD is correct. Υou will have to worry about drop long before expansion. :lol:

I would think that the performance of the 260 gr AccuBond at 375H&H velocities would be superb. The reason I think that is because most 0.375 bullets are designed with the big Holland and Holland in mind. I might try the 260gr AccuBond in my H&H as well. I suppose if a guy could get 2800fps? or so out of it you could flatten out trajectories some and still stomp some big critters with it! :grin:

No doubt! I reloaded it for my buddy's Mod 70 and we easily got 2750 or so with IMR 4064. Alas nothing was shot with it sice he had a "sick rifle". Everything we shot through it did about 2.5" plus at 100 yards. He finally bought a 375 Ultra.

No doubt! I reloaded it for my buddy's Mod 70 and we easily got 2750 or so with IMR 4064. Alas nothing was shot with it since he had a "sick rifle". Everything we shot through it did about 2.5" plus at 100 yards. He sold it and finally bought a 375 Ultra.

340boy ... it would nice to be able to get 2800 fps out of the 260 AccuBond in my 375 H&H, but I think that would be treading a fine line on the presure curve. I've given some thought to having my CZ 550 reamed out to the 375 Weatherby. That will give an extra 100-150 fps and using slower powders like 4350 too. It's a simple job and fire forming H&H brass in the Weatherby chamber is all that is needed to get Weatherby brass. It's a thought. :idea:

Grove,
That was just a WAG on my part!
I would be happy with 2700 or so out of my Ruger( 23" barrel)
Truth is, I have only put 150 rds though my 375H&H, but I am looking forward to doing some more loading for and shooting of that particular rifle and caliber. And I agree, the 375Wby does sound interesting, but I already have a 378wby and I don't forsee another 375 bore in my stable(at least right now :wink: )

Yeah! If you got a 378 Bee why make a 375 Ouch & Ouch into a 375 Bee :?:

Back