264 Mag .. Barrell life etc.

270fan

Beginner
Dec 25, 2006
264 Win Mag ... How is barrell life on this caliber? Does it load easily and does it shoot accurately? Considering a Rem Sendero in this Caliber ....
but isn't it basically a 270 clone, as far as performance etc , with a belted rim around the base?

barrel life is probly around 1500 mark if well taken of. They can be shot out quickly by using lighter weight bullets and or by letting the barrel get hot, etc..They can be a very accurate cartridge. They are at best when loaded with a good 140g bullet. 6.5mm 140g bullets are known for high BC's and high SD's, both good to have for hunting. Performance is greater then a 270 by a couple hundred FPS. Have read the new sendero in .264 WM is pretty accurate...Would be hard to find a better LR deer getter stoked with a 140g AMAX.

What wopuld you consider the barrel life of a 270 to be?

What kind of cost have some of you encountered in replacing barrels?

What would you think of a Sendero in 260?

Thanks greatly for your input.....

.270 I would say is at least double that, 3000 rounds or so. To rebarrel with a quality barrel like lilja and have the action trued up is usually around $600-800. Its money well spent though... A sendero in .260 Rem would be a great LR coyote/deer rig as well. Loaded with a 140g AMAX it'll have enough to take deer to 600 easily. Barrel life on the .260 is great,4-5000 I'm guessing, and accuracy is great to.

.270 fan - yes, the .264 Win mag, like other high-intensity magnums is going to eat barrels. So what? Barrels are disposable. If you're a competitive match shooter, you'll join the crowd and shoot up a barrel a year.

Most big-game hunters will hunt a lifetime on a 1500 round barrel. I've never shot-out one of my hunting rifles, except maybe on varmints...

If you're going to do a lot of shooting with the rifle, and don't want to be replacing a barrel very often, then yeah, go with something milder like the .260 or the .308 Winchester. The accurate life of my .308 Win match barrels has varied from around 4000 - 6000 rounds or so. Mostly I buy Kriegers as replacements, but I also have a Hart and an Obermeyer on hand. Haven't tried the Obermeyer yet, but am expecting great things from it.

If ya want the zap of a magnum, there are tradeoffs... Like short barrel life. Interesting point - if you buy the .264 Win mag... When it's shot out and you replace it, you can specify a barrel for pretty much any of the belted magnums and have it installed with little fuss. You could go with .264 Win mag, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm STW, .300 Win mag, .338 Win mag or any number of other belted magnums for your replacement barrels.

FWIW, Guy

THANKS FELLAS !!! This is great .... Those who are experienced and knowledgeable willingly helping those of us who are eager to learn but at the beginning of a road you have already traveled.

Good points mentioned. I am still evaluating all of them and having a ball in the process of reaching a decision on which caliber and rifle I will go with. I will post my decision when I reach it. May be a while though. I go in for hernie surgery next week.

The 264 Win Mag is one of my favorite long range game-getters. By taking care to avoid shooting it "hot" and careful cleaning at regular intervals, it is possible to get 2000 or so rounds out of a SS barrel before MOA accuracy is no longer there. With a 26" barrel, and some of todays slow burning powders, you can approach 3300 fps with the 140 grain Bullets. A 140 grain Nosler Partition is a mighty effective bullet at those muzzle velocities, cause it still packs enough "whump" way, way out there to lay the biggest muley flat, and has sufficient residual energy to kill Elk and Moose out to 500. In actual shooting tests, my 264 shooting the 140 Partition at 3310 and sighted in 3" high at 100 yards, was only down 16-17" at 500....That is flat, believe me! I shot a big bull Elk at 520, and the Partition exited from the far side of his ribs, with about a ¾" exit hole. He went 30 yards, and piled up. Lung damage was impressive, even at the longer range. That long bullet penetrates like all-get-out. Don't get me wrong, I love the 270, and own a couple of them, too. But a 264 they are not. The best I have ever got from a 270 with the 140 Partition is about 3075 FPS. Lower BC and sectional density too. Keep in mind, that in a 264, 4350 is a relatively "fast" powder, and is suitable only for light bullets. Enjoy! Regards, Eagleye.

I'm into my 3rd 264 win mag now. Don't buy into that ole wives tale that the sixty four is a barrel burner. Just take care of it and it will last just as long as any 270 barrel.

If and when your barrel throat start going out just chamber it out a little further, you might loose a little barrel length but not enough to matter.
Beats buying another barrel.
Remington will put a short throat on the 264, I have my smith take it out further where I can seat the bottom of the bullet flush with the bottom of the case neck. This will leave little neck hold for lighter/shorter bullets,
this does not matter as they work just fine and if there is some free bore
it wont matter just think of it as a 264 Weatherby.

I've taken elk out at 400 yards using 140 Partitions, no recoverd bullets
just nice exit holes and one shot kills.
RL 25 has been the go to powder for highest speeds with this round in my rifles

I have about decided to take a Rem 700 VS SF II in 22-250 and have the following done:

1) trigger reworked (with 2 pounds of pull)
2) a stainless, 25", fluted Hart barrel put on it.
3) glass bedded, pillar bedded or both. ?????
4) a muzzle break installed.

AND work up a load and go hunting.

Wish to share your pros and cons on this? Thanks.

remingtonman_25_06":26ust7as said:
barrel life is probly around 1500 mark if well taken of.

More or less or about the same as the 257 Bee.

A most important detail I left out of my last post above dated 1-18-07 is that the barrel I am installing will be a 260 caliber ...... and .... progress since posting that post is I just bought the Rem 700 VS SF II in 22-250 as a base to work with. Sure is a nice looking rifle.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas. It is a big help. I am learning as I go.

Back