270 mimics 7mm Rem Mag with 150 factory!

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
In my 24" Kimber 84L I worked up that 150 Partition to 3032! I was still under the Max QL Data with N560 too. I looked at the Specs of many factory 150 grain 7mm loads. Almost all were right at the same speed, from 2950 to 3030! Sheboygin! I'm impressed and now torn between using it or my new 338 RPM in my late season cow hunt! lol The Mighty 270, AND it screams the 110gr hunting bullets! I have everything comparable from a 240 Wby to an average 7mm RM (most hunters use factory)...that's awesome! Sure elevated my 270 Kimber in my eyes! I was looking for an 84L Classic in 30-06 when I found this one in 270. As mentioned, this is number 15 for me, I somehow have had more of them and less hunting experience with them than any other! I have always had one for past 30yrs, and always hunted with something else, ha. I'm jazzed!

In my 24" Kimber 84L I worked up that 150 Partition to 3032! I was still under the Max QL Data with N560 too. I looked at the Specs of many factory 150 grain 7mm loads. Almost all were right at the same speed, from 2950 to 3030! Sheboygin! I'm impressed and now torn between using it or my new 338 RPM in my late season cow hunt! lol The Mighty 270, AND it screams the 110gr hunting bullets! I have everything comparable from a 240 Wby to an average 7mm RM (most hunters use factory)...that's awesome! Sure elevated my 270 Kimber in my eyes! I was looking for an 84L Classic in 30-06 when I found this one in 270. As mentioned, this is number 15 for me, I somehow have had more of them and less hunting experience with them than any other! I have always had one for past 30yrs, and always hunted with something else, ha. I'm jazzed!
Precher ~
like your projects. N560 a favorite powder. In future if you get an opportunity snag a 27 Nolser. Great round you would enjoy.

The 270 Win with the 150 PT sounds like a potent load.

JD338

It’s easy to get hooked on the Kimbers and the 270! My wife’s little 257 Roberts classic select is a joy to carry afield because it’s so doggone light and handy. Combine that with the mild recoil of the 257 Roberts and it means that everyone wants to take mom’s rifle hunting!
I’ve got one like it in 280AI that is about as good as it gets for a mountain rifle. I know the Kimbers can be hit or miss, but, man, when you get a good one they’re just about perfect and I love the idea of a scaled down controlled round feed action.
As far as the 270 goes, it just doesn’t get much better. O’Connor, Seyfried, Van Zwoll and just about anyone who has used it in the field sing its praises. An incredible blend of trajectory, tolerable recoil, and effectiveness on game have made it shine since 1925. When you consider the 150 grain 270 pill has a sectional density better than the longstanding 180 grain 30 caliber benchmark, that you can squeeze over 3000 fps from it without leaning on it too hard, and that you can fit one more round in the magazine vs a magnum cartridge, then the 270 begins to take shape as a really viable elk round.
A good Kimber rifle plus a good cartridge in the 270 make for an awful attractive combo to take out elk hunting this year!
V/R,
Joe

It’s easy to get hooked on the Kimbers and the 270! My wife’s little 257 Roberts classic select is a joy to carry afield because it’s so doggone light and handy. Combine that with the mild recoil of the 257 Roberts and it means that everyone wants to take mom’s rifle hunting!
I’ve got one like it in 280AI that is about as good as it gets for a mountain rifle. I know the Kimbers can be hit or miss, but, man, when you get a good one they’re just about perfect and I love the idea of a scaled down controlled round feed action.
As far as the 270 goes, it just doesn’t get much better. O’Connor, Seyfried, Van Zwoll and just about anyone who has used it in the field sing its praises. An incredible blend of trajectory, tolerable recoil, and effectiveness on game have made it shine since 1925. When you consider the 150 grain 270 pill has a sectional density better than the longstanding 180 grain 30 caliber benchmark, that you can squeeze over 3000 fps from it without leaning on it too hard, and that you can fit one more round in the magazine vs a magnum cartridge, then the 270 begins to take shape as a really viable elk round.
A good Kimber rifle plus a good cartridge in the 270 make for an awful attractive combo to take out elk hunting this year!
V/R,
Joe
Yea, what Joe said! 270 win and 257 Roberts are two of my all timers.

Thanks guys. I know I'm "Preaching to the choir", but I just had to share! When it comes to reloads, for sure, the 7mm RM walks off and leaves it, but it is still heck for stout! I have been tempted to get anything from the 240, 25-06, 257 wby, just to realize I can get the similar speeds with the 110 TTSX my rifle loves. I had a new to me Kimber 30-06 for a few days and sold it....I realized I really want to concentrate on this 270, been there done that with the 06...it can wait til later! ha I mean, I'll have my 338 RPM in a couple weeks, gotta play with it. Petersen brass and 175 HH! yeow!

I will have some 160 NPT , I traded for, coming from a friend. He has to finish moving first to find them, ha. With the N560, If they shoot even close to 2900 they will be the elk round, just because! When I get her, shot with the RPM, I'll have her rolled up on her belly and then shoot her again with the Kimber's 150/160 ! lol Oh yeah!

No, but that sounds like a screamer! I have some old 90gr Sierras, just havent tried them yet.

I really like R16, supposed to be more stable than R17. I have tested R17 down to 20 deg and it was consistent in the 300 WSM/168 TTSX. I tested it in another 270/130 too, same same. That's the "best" way to determine if they are indeed stable. Test your favorite load around freezing or colder. I think it really depends what cartridge, bullet (pressure) and capacity, I think they are all different. Just me. "anyhow", R16 is great stuff! I got terrific speeds with R26 in another 270/130 and it went wonky over 85 degrees. Spooked me, ha.

Hey Bruce, my first "Wildcat" was the 257 Roberts Ackley Improved, Mod 700 Classic, 24" barrel. In 1982 I traded a nice 6" Colt Python 357 for it at a redneck/racist gun store in Vidor, Texas. I was checking a Drilling Rig nearby. I shot it awhile in Roberts/100gr Speer BT. I hunted with it but did not connect. I was reading about P.O. Ackley books for awhile, and had it reamed to the Improved. I seated the Hornady 120 HP way out in that Mod 700 (LA) I even used PO's load data! Wow! ha I had that thing screaming like a 25-06. Alas, a young family was expensive, sold it. However, I have always, always preferred the '06 size cases rather than the 308, etc. Just me. Personally, I could tell a difference in "killing" ability between the .260/129sp and the 6.5/284/120-125. Well...it seemed that way to me, ha. :)

Hey Bruce, my first "Wildcat" was the 257 Roberts Ackley Improved, Mod 700 Classic, 24" barrel. In 1982 I traded a nice 6" Colt Python 357 for it at a redneck/racist gun store in Vidor, Texas. I was checking a Drilling Rig nearby. I shot it awhile in Roberts/100gr Speer BT. I hunted with it but did not connect. I was reading about P.O. Ackley books for awhile, and had it reamed to the Improved. I seated the Hornady 120 HP way out in that Mod 700 (LA) I even used PO's load data! Wow! ha I had that thing screaming like a 25-06. Alas, a young family was expensive, sold it. However, I have always, always preferred the '06 size cases rather than the 308, etc. Just me. Personally, I could tell a difference in "killing" ability between the .260/129sp and the 6.5/284/120-125. Well...it seemed that way to me, ha. :)
The first time I took my 257 to a range it was around New Braunfels, Tx and the range was next to a really nice gun shop. The guy that owned the place walked up and offered to AI my Model 700. He said he could have it done in a hour. He said he had dies in stock and I could fire form the ammo I had loaded before I left. I really don't recall why I turned him down.

There was a time when I thought about having my 700 Classic 257 Roberts rechambered to 257 AI. I have been able to bring out the full potential with the long action so I do pursue the 257 AI.

JD338

Back