.270 Win, 130 ET

widgeon

Handloader
Feb 19, 2011
I'm in a spot here guys. Before I moved to the east coast, I sold all of my powders and primers. I am not yet in a place where I can even set up my reloading bench.

The scope on my .270 has some issues that I wrote about in a previous thread. While that is being dealt with, I'm considering putting another scope on the gun, but I only have 5 rounds of the ammo that it is sighted for. I was getting great groups with my 130 grain BT's and figured they would be fine for the teeny, tiny deer that inhabit these woods, so that's what I was set for, but things have to change.
I have a hog hunt coming up in the first part of March. I am looking at factory ammo and thought I would check out the stuff on this site. I found the ET stuff, which I have heard great things about and would love to try. I also wouldn't mind using the Nosler brass for my next loading.

The price seems reasonable, so I guess my questions are, 1. What do you all really think of this load? and 2. If recommended, how much do I need to buy to have enough to sight/dial it in and then hunt ?

I appreciate any input.
Thanks,

Tony

widgeon":o5equxw0 said:
I'm in a spot here guys. Before I moved to the east coast, I sold all of my powders and primers. I am not yet in a place where I can even set up my reloading bench.

The scope on my .270 has some issues that I wrote about in a previous thread. While that is being dealt with, I'm considering putting another scope on the gun, but I only have 5 rounds of the ammo that it is sighted for. I was getting great groups with my 130 grain BT's and figured they would be fine for the teeny, tiny deer that inhabit these woods, so that's what I was set for, but things have to change.
I have a hog hunt coming up in the first part of March. I am looking at factory ammo and thought I would check out the stuff on this site. I found the ET stuff, which I have heard great things about and would love to try. I also wouldn't mind using the Nosler brass for my next loading.

The price seems reasonable, so I guess my questions are, 1. What do you all really think of this load? and 2. If recommended, how much do I need to buy to have enough to sight/dial it in and then hunt ?

I appreciate any input.
Thanks,

Tony

Tony, I don't wanna be a naysayer on the ET ammo, but I would be a little hesistant to spend the money on ammo that you absolutely need to be accurate. The ET seem's like it could be kinda fussy if your rifle doesn't like it. Whereas, something with the 130 or 140 AB or 130, 140, 150 PT is likely to shoot well enough in your rifle to do you well on your hog hunt.

Again, don't take this wrong, cause I have faith the ET is a great bullet, but I have a better feeling the leaded bullets would shoot, acceptably.

As for how much to sight in and hunt with, I would say 6 rounds after a good boresight to get you on target and maybe another 6 to tune your zero. That leaves you with 8 rounds, I would want another box, just in case.. I am sure you could boresight, zero, and tune your zero with less, but most of the time when you really need something to count, Murphy rears his ugly head!

I hear you brother ! I have loaded some of the Barnes TSX for my .270 and it took a bit of work to come up with a reasonable load. I would prefer a lead core, as there are no restrictions in S.C. , but the .270 AB stuff is out of stock. I can definitely look elsewhere, but always want to wind up with good quality brass.

My only other options at this point are my TC Encore in .243win or my Marlin '94 in.44mag. Both seem marginal. I have killed a hog at short range with the .243 and I'm sure the .44 would also make a fine short range hog gun, but if my only shot is beyond 100 yards, it might bring down my confidence.

Any other recommendations for a quality factory load?

widgeon":2f1z0n35 said:
I hear you brother ! I have loaded some of the Barnes TSX for my .270 and it took a bit of work to come up with a reasonable load. I would prefer a lead core, as there are no restrictions in S.C. , but the .270 AB stuff is out of stock. I can definitely look elsewhere, but always want to wind up with good quality brass.

My only other options at this point are my TC Encore in .243win or my Marlin '94 in.44mag. Both seem marginal. I have killed a hog at short range with the .243 and I'm sure the .44 would also make a fine short range hog gun, but if my only shot is beyond 100 yards, it might bring down my confidence.

Any other recommendations for a quality factory load?

Winchester Supreme 140gr AB's! They are my backup factory load should I ever need it...

The 130 gr E-Tip should do fine for you. The 130 gr AB or PT will work well too.
Try them all and pick the one that shoots the best, then stock up with a few boxes.

JD338

I like the E-Tip. All I've shot have proven to give good to excellent accuracy; and they hit hard, putting game down right smartly.

Just purchased a box of Federal's loaded with 140 gr. AB. I will make it work or dig through my reloads for something that will. I know it is a hasty decision, but I tend to think that minute of hog accuracy is not much to ask. My long term goal is to work up some of the 140 AB's as my go to round anyhow.

widgeon":1lpsugbx said:
Just purchased a box of Federal's loaded with 140 gr. AB. I will make it work or dig through my reloads for something that will. I know it is a hasty decision, but I tend to think that minute of hog accuracy is not much to ask. My long term goal is to work up some of the 140 AB's as my go to round anyhow.

I think you'll be happy with that combo. Plus, if that is the way you wanna go anyhow, you might as well see what they do in factory loads for ya. Plus, hogs make a great test media...

I would look at the Federal Blue Box loads for the .270. The Piedmont Plateau deer down there in the Carolinas are not usually large weight deer and the Blue Box loads that I have used for my .243 and .25-06 shot really good groups and killed smaller deer with absolutely no issues.

Plus, hogs make a great test media...[/quote]

:lol: I like the way you think.

Hogs do make a great test media. The Federal 130 grain, softpoints should be a good deer round.

I was surprised to find that I received the box of cartrides today when I got home from work. It's kind of facinating to behold a new box of shiny, factory loaded rifle ammo. I haven't purchased factory loaded rifle ammo in about 6-7 years. :mrgreen:

I think you've made an excellent choice. I have been on a mission for the past 5 years to duplicate the accuracy I get from Federal's Vital-Shok 140gr NAB load. I'm very close now. Hopefully your rifle likes em like mine does.

Here are two post-travel, pre-hunt verification shoots from my Rem 78.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Winchester Supreme 140 AB's shoot the same in my 270WSM CC.. They can't be beat by me, they can be matched, but not beat. Even speed wise they run 3200! Nothing I can do to beat them!

WOW! That's great news guys. After having great results with hand loaded 130grn BT's, I figured the 140grn AB was a solid choice. Just mounted a fresh scope and bore sighted today. I should be able to make it to the range next week. Wish me luck.

The 140 gr AB will make for an excellent all around bullet.
As DrMike says, "It will slam ham". :grin:

JD338

JD338":3mbh3vte said:
The 140 gr AB will make for an excellent all around bullet.
As DrMike says, "It will slam ham". :grin:

JD338

:lol: " Slam ham" :lol:

Now all I have to do is locate the ham. :mrgreen:

SJB358":35fk197a said:
Winchester Supreme 140 AB's shoot the same in my 270WSM CC.. They can't be beat by me, they can be matched, but not beat. Even speed wise they run 3200! Nothing I can do to beat them!

3200 fps!!! That is awesome! One word comes to mind... LASER. Being a .277 fan, I may have to look into getting the WSM.

SJB358":ypillzic said:

That's sick!

I've always thought that if I were to buy a WSM it would be the 7mm version but y'all are making me want the whole lot of em! Well, not the WSSMs.... :wink:

Widgeon - hope your efforts to slam some ham work out. Can I say that? :oops:

CatskillCrawler":8uecgf8v said:
SJB358":8uecgf8v said:

That's sick!

I've always thought that if I were to buy a WSM it would be the 7mm version but y'all are making me want the whole lot of em! Well, not the WSSMs.... :wink:

Widgeon - hope your efforts to slam some ham work out. Can I say that? :oops:

I know. It sounds kinda... Deliverance. But, I can't wait to "slam" some ham. :mrgreen:

Back