.270 Winchester and H-4831

RDub

Beginner
Oct 31, 2004
I've always heard that H4831 and the .270 go together like apple pie and vanilla ice cream, but now I'm a believer.
I loaded up three ladders with the 130gr Nos Balistic-Tips using H-4831, IMR4831 and Rx-22. I only had time to shoot one ladder, as the days are getting shorter and good shooting light even less each day. So I chose H-4831 for the first.
The groups are high because the rifle is sighted in for a 150gr load.

130grH4831.jpg

The rifle is a Savage Axis w/3x9 Bushnell scope combo I bought on sale for the kids to shoot. Even with that awful trigger, once mastered, the rifle shot very well with these handloads. Not bad for 200 yards.
Factory loads, however, are another story.. I've never seen a .270 Win shoot factory ammo so terribly. I was beginning to think I had a real lemon on my hands.

I also have some 150gr Sierras loaded up in ladders but didn't have enough light to continue.
Lookin forward to seeing what the rest of the ladders produce..

Very good. It looks as if you are on the right track with the BTs and that particular rifle.

The 60.0 grain load has long been the H-4831 penultimate load for 130 grain bullets and it looks as though you are right where you want to be at that load at that level?

Looks like you got yourself a very nice budget rifle for your offspring. As OT3 stated, that 60gr load looks sweet. I'm back to using H-4831 in my .270W again. Kinda like baseball and hot dogs.

130gr bullet at +3000fps kills like lightning!

Very nice. That is another one of those classics that always just shoots well. Great shooting. Scotty

Oldtrader3":1d8y5bri said:
The 60.0 grain load has long been the H-4831 penultimate load for 130 grain bullets and it looks as though you are right where you want to be at that load at that level?

I use that load!

My preference in the .270 has been either the 150 gr. Sierra Game King or the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. I feel the 130 gr. bullets tear up too much good eating meat. However, use whatever weight bullet works for you.
For a factory load, the winchester 150 gr. Power Point load has beev very accurate in three of the four .270 Win. rifles I have. The only one I haven't tried that load in is the Ruger #1A. It is quite accurate though with 57.0 gr. of H4831 and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition.
Paul B.

PJGunner":scgyy4c3 said:
My preference in the .270 has been either the 150 gr. Sierra Game King or the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. I feel the 130 gr. bullets tear up too much good eating meat. However, use whatever weight bullet works for you.
For a factory load, the winchester 150 gr. Power Point load has beev very accurate in three of the four .270 Win. rifles I have. The only one I haven't tried that load in is the Ruger #1A. It is quite accurate though with 57.0 gr. of H4831 and the 150 gr. Nosler Partition.
Paul B.

I agree, 130's can be destuctive up close. The 130gr load will be used primarily for antelope and where long shots are expected with deer. I do prefer a 150gr load for general purpose hunting.

I was not able to find any 150gr factory loads near home, but I quickly did try some 150gr Sierras and found 56.0grs of H-4831 to shoot well, so that is what the kids hunted with. No deer seen this year, no rain at all, all season.., I didn't have time to chrono the loads then, but I have some ladders loaded up with 150's.. Maybe this weekend.

Antelope_Sniper":outilz0t said:
Switch to cci200 primers and you groups will probably shrink by half.

Hmm.. Interesting. I'll load up a few and see...

Have used 60 grs H-4831 for years with 130 BT and Sierra with CCI-BR2 primers in a Rem case and it shoots lights out in every 270 Win I have seen. Kills deer like lightening struck them also.

I agree about CCI BR2 primers. My load is 60.5 gr of H4831 sc with 130 AB and it shoots unde 1 inch. H4831 sc ( short cut ) should give you some 20+ fps more, if you like it.

No RL-22 with my 130 gr bullets. RL-22 works best for me with 150 gr bullets

Wlodek

Sixty grains of H4831 and a 130 gr. Nosler bullet.

What more do you need to know??????????

Jim

Hello all, New to this site and to reloading. First I want to say what a great site this is, I have read and learned alot. My question is what is the max load for the .270 Win 130g NPT with H-4831. The Nosler 4 data shows 56.5g and the nosler 6 data shows 58.6 but that is for H-4831sc.
I am working up some H-4831 loads starting at 52.5g, just wondering how far I can go. I have tried IMR 4350 and RL-17 with good results just wanted to try H-4831.
Thanks, Toddskie

My buddy's rifle used H4831SC (same as H4831 burn rate, smaller sized grains of powder) behind a 130 gr. Partition or AccuBond at 59.0 grs. I went as far as 62.0 grs which my gunsmith told me was an old Jack O'Connor favorite load. It was too hot. 61.0 also produced excellent accuracy as did the 59.0 load, but it was still just starting to show pressure signs. 60.0 grs was not accurate so it went to 59.0 and it works. He gets right at about 3030 fps in a 22" barrel.

Carefully work up as you watch for pressure signs, and if you have $100.00 to $125.00 buy yourself a chronograph as they really help in load development as you can see what is happening with the velocity changes between powder increases, and how consistant they are between extreme spread on the fps.

Hope this helps. If you cannot find an accurate load with H4831, which you should be able to, H4350 or IMR4350 might be your huckleberry! Good Luck.
David

Todskie,

Welcome to the forum. Since you're relatively new to hand loading, you're well advised to work within the parameters dictated by pressure-tested loads. Having said that, your question demonstrates one of the seeming mysteries of hand loading. The newer manuals are to be trusted because they probably used more recent production powders, which have burn rates that will not precisely match burn rates from older production. Also, the accuracy potential of laboratory equipment makes testing more accurate all the while. Some of the loads presented in years past are fairly high pressure when tested with the newer equipment.

Thanks 6mm and Dr Mike for your help. I do have and use a chrono. I did type the wrong max from the Nosler 6 data it is 59.0g of H-4831sc sorry memory not so good!! I will carefully work up.
Ruger M77 22" barrel
Thanks Todd

For my tests R-17 was good for 130 gr bullets.
But H4831 sc is my choice 60.5 gr for 130 AB ( they look nicer than partitions ) and CCI BR 2 primers. Very stable load with 22 tube. 130 Partition is shorter than AB it should take more pressure
than AB I think.
Vodek

Back