.270 Winchester and H-4831

Todd, it's important to remember that 'ol Jack load of 62gr H4831 was with WINCHESTER brass.
Winchester brass is the thinnest, and provided the largest internal volume. If you switch brass, this load needs to be reduced. In addition Jack's load was probably a little on the hot side. If I had to guess, I'd say it's around 70k psi, which is above modern standards.

May i ask at what col are you seating, for the 130's. I just bought the savage axis for my boy to play with and i sure like what i see with the 60gr load..thanks

I loaded up some test loads for my dads 270 with RL-22 and 140 PT lastnight. I wanted to use H4831, but have never bought any. From the looks of things here, if RL-22 doesn't work I need to get some H4831.

Seems like I learn something new every day here :!:

Same load we used for years in the .270 60grs and the 130BT bullet, tryed the Partition on deer and didnt like it as well as the old solid base or the Bt...................... same with the 06 only load I used for years was the Jack O Conner 165gr with 52 grs of 4064................. again with the old solid base and later with the BT's couldnt ask for anything better right on up thru Caribou. Had a 200gr Nosler load but dont remember the powder or charge???[Must have it written down some place but that was a quite a while back ] Shot a fair few elk and moose with that one; and it worked good but not as good as the Whelen.

H4831 is the classic powder for the 270 Win

JD338

Tikka Lite shoots best with130grs ABs using 55grs H4831SC. I've gone up to 60grs and found no difference in performance but use more power and have more recoil.
Welcome aboard. Glad to see your post. Hope there'll be many more. The 130 grain AB charged with H4831 or H4831SC will definitely make the 270 Win work. Have you used this load on any game in the past several years?

Hmm... maybe I'll pick up some 130 Partitions and give H4831 a try next weekend.
One of the guys I hog hunt with when I go to Alabama uses that exact combo and it flat out smashes big hogs and deer. He shoots the hogs square through the shoulders always gets an exit and a very dead hog. You'd need a pry bar and axle grease to get those away from him.

The H4831 load with a 130-140-150 has been so good in so many 270's now, it's kinda become a default for a new rifle to check it out. Look for 2900 with the 150, 3000 with the 140 and 3100 with 130's and usually accuracy will be there as well. A couple powders are faster by a bit, but not by enough to matter too awfully much.

I've been using 150gn GameKings for years and they are awesome. I recently found som 140gn AccuBond's, but given their scarcity where I live, I'm too scared to waste any doing load development :) I'm in a catch 22 situation

Back