270 WSM 150 ABLR

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
I'm loading a 270 WSM for my father in law. Looking for any load info on the 150 ABLR. I found Scottys post with RL-25. I played around with RL-26, apparently it has a bit of a different burn rate as I maxed out at my starting load of 68 gr. I figured that if Scotty was getting the groups and velocity that he was getting with 70 gr of RL-25 68 gr of RL-26 would be a good spot to start :oops: (ALWAYS START LOW AND WORK UP). I was getting over 3160 with RL-26 at the 28 gr load, flat primers, sticky bolt lift, and a 2"+ group.

Speed is not a concern here (man that hurt to type), I just want something that works that I can load 100 of, hand the rifle over and tell him to go do work.

I might have some 7828 left and some RL-23. Just wondering if anyone else has been down this road already.

Thanks.

Jake, I did okay with RL25, but if you have 7828 or RL23, I would think an easy 3100 would be possible. Accuracy wise, I had to seat them deep to make them look decent. I was getting a solid 2-1 sorta group till I got real short.

I would use small tweaks with them, they seemed to have a small window of accuracy, at least for me. I was used to making larger jumps to find the window, with the ABLR's, it was too much and I jumped right over the accuracy node.

I would be anything from 4350 to H1000 would work well with that bullet. I sorta caved as the 150 BT had the same sorta performance and the actual BC wasn't that much different. If the ABLR's give you a hard time, I wouldn't hesitate to run that 150 BT. It is one of the tough ones.

Back