270 WSM is messing with my head

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Beginner
Feb 5, 2009
I loaded some rounds yesterday with RL 22 and the Nosler manual put them above 3000 fps. They chrono'd at 2700. Anyone know what is up? I checked chrono before and after and it is fine. Had slightly flattened primers with this load

Savage 24 inch barrel.
59 grains RL22
Fed 215 primers
Win brass
Nosler 150 grain Partitions

I just loaded some with IMR7828 ssc I will try later if the rain stops.

The Nosler RG, like any other load source is a guide. There are many variables than can contribute to velocity variances. Powder lot numbers, barrel make and length, chamber dimensions, make of brass, all can have an effect on the end result.

You are on the right path, if you do not get the desired results and have run into pressure signs, time to change powder.

JD338

My Savage 270 wsm never had velocity problems and closely matched published data. My issue was grouping. The rifle has been at Savage since July 10th or so. Savage agrees that it does not group well and mine seems to have become an engineering investigation. I was told yesterday that a new barrel (faster twist rate?) was being installed yesterday and should be back in my hands by end of next week.

I guess then I start over with load development. I had good consistency with Reloder 17 and Magpro as far as velocity

I am new to rifle reloading but 300 fps below published seems like a lot!

Idaho_Elk_Huntr":33gp7w8l said:
I loaded some rounds yesterday with RL 22 and the Nosler manual put them above 3000 fps. They chrono'd at 2700. Anyone know what is up? I checked chrono before and after and it is fine. Had slightly flattened primers with this load

Savage 24 inch barrel.
59 grains RL22
Fed 215 primers
Win brass
Nosler 150 grain Partitions

I just loaded some with IMR7828 ssc I will try later if the rain stops.
..........................A slower bore could also be the issue. Try changing the bullets too.

As a suggestion, you may also want to try some Vihtavouri N560 and N165. About the same burn range as RL22 for both. I`ve read a few reviews on distributor`s sites where the posters received lower ES consistencies, lower pressure, along with a little better accuracy and velocities than RL22. As a result, they permanently switched to the Vihtavouri.

About $7 or $8 more per lb, but well worth it they say. Recently picked up a lb of N165 to try later for my 300 WSM.

I have a velocity problem with my 270 wsm as well, it likes 7828 but only gets 3150 fps with 130 AB. I have tried RL 19 and 17 and got over 3300 fps but it groups around 4" with those loads. The 7828 is around 200 fps slower than advertised in the manual, i have learned to live with it, try another powder as I get advertised velocities with the other powders on my chrony just not good groups, when I get some time I am going to try some RL 22 and see if it will group and get good velocity.

No offence to the providers of this site…

But IMHO, the Nosler manuals seem to be overstating velocities by about 200 fps. Not sure why, but I’ve come to think it’s because they don’t use factory barrels for their numbers.

Most are close for me. 300 WM, 300 Ultra are dead on. Its just this 270 I am having a problem with. I will try a good dose of IMR 7828ssc tomorrow and see what happens. 300 fps less with RL22 just doesnt seem right

As stated above, there are certianly a lot of variables.....

Shot my new one today with both RL-17 & Viht N560. I have yet to find anything that likes the RL-17 as it scattered the 140gr Accubonds all over the place ( Vanguard SUB MOA )
The N560 stacked them basically on top of each other w/ quite the velocity edge over the RL-17

Idaho_Elk_Huntr said:
Most are close for me. 300 WM, 300 Ultra are dead on. Its just this 270 I am having a problem with. I will try a good dose of IMR 7828ssc tomorrow and see what happens. 300 fps less with RL22 just doesnt seem right[/quot

My 270WSM has a 25" long Lawton barrel and I normally do better than book velocity using R-22 with 150/140gr bullets I average 200fps slower than Nolser publish velocity. I can push that rifle around high 3200fps with 150gr and I finally settle on R-17 with 140gr bullet.

I had real good luck with R19/22 in the 300WSM so it suprised me in the 270WSM. I have very few factory barrel deer/elk rifles and I normally use Nosler/Hodgdon manuals.

I worked up a load out of Nolser #6 for the 300WSM using N-550 and 165gr bullets and that load was appr 250fps slower and that rifle has a Broughton 5c barrel. I get a good load first then chronograph so just makes reloading alittle more interesting.

Well good luck

There are also a lot of variables that can affect chronograph readings. You need to buy some factory ammo and compare velocity readings to your handloads at the same time. All the WSM factory ammo is loaded to the max, so what ever it generates in your rifle will give you a target velocity range. I have found that Magpro is THE powder for the 270WSM, though there are many good powders to use. R-19 is a little better with the 130gr bullets, and Retumbo is a little more accurate with the 150gr bullets. I have not owned or loaded for a 270WSM that would not get 3200+fps with 140's and close to or just over 3300 with 130's. Getting 150's over 3100 is usually an unabtainable goal, but 3000-3050 is manageable. I would certainly respect your velocity readings enough to avoid adding powder until you get the number you are after, but I would also not be totally sold that you are only getting 2700fps. Your data is not confirmed in my opinion, and more "research" is needed in order to come to a conclusion.

The chronograph has ruined more good rifles than any other single factor. Hand loaders will work up a great load that shoots accurately, but it lacks the velocity reported elsewhere, so they jettison the load. We are all guilty of such actions. However, it is accuracy that puts game in the freezer and not velocity. Velocity is nice, but accuracy is the goal. If velocity were the sole criterion, then we might as well use factory ammunition, because with their powders and techniques they can best our velocity most of the time! However, we can--and do--improve on accuracy in our our rifles. Besides, there is an undeniable satisfaction in knowing that the game on our dinner plate was taken with our own hand loaded ammunition.

Dr. M while I do agree with you on the accuracy part, I have to respectfully dissagree with you on the velocity part. If he was wanting a good shooting load doing 2700 he could of bought a 270 Win. The whole point of buying any magnum is to make the bullet go faster than a standard round. All things considered a guy should be able to get a magnum to shoot good enough (everbody has there own "good enough") and still get the advantage of the magnum. Otherwise we are just wasting money buying magnum things to shoot standard velocities.

Elk_Hunter I have a friend that had the same sort of luck with RL22, he switched to RL25 and got better groups and more fps. His is a custom 23" pac-nor. He still can't get a 140 to do 3200, but he is in the 3175 range. and the 130 Etips hes getting 3367. All with RL 25. I use mag pro for both 140 AB and 130 ET and have am getting some 130 Etips in the 3375 range and the 140 AB are going to be in the 3200 range but I have not put the 140 Ab over a chrony yet. But my gun is a so called 26" barrel (it actually measures 25"). I would try a different powder to see if your gun likes it better. Every gun is different, you may have better luck with a diff powder.

I have a 270wsm in a win m70 24in barrel I use IMR4350 and get 3180fps
out of 140gr AB and 130gr BT at 3301 fps and both get 1/2 inch groups.
I never had any luck with any outher powder and I tride them all in the 270 wsm IMR4350 will be my go to powder. So try IMR4350 it just may work for you.

This is pretty interesting, cause I have a few loads ready to be chronographed right now with RL22. I think I have 59.5, 60.5 and 61.5, I am shooting the 150gr Ballistic Tip. I am hoping to get them up over 3000 and closer to 3100. My main goal is great accuracy and if I can get them over 3000, I will be a happy camper. If R22 doesn't work, I will try R25. I have become a fan of the Alliant powders. Pretty much everything I shoot, shoots pretty well with it. Scotty

today I used IMR 7828 SSC. Groups .5 moa and velocity was 2780 with 150 grain Partition and 59.5 grains of powder and the manual claims 3024. I also shot my 300 Win Mag and velocity was 3120. It is the same as always. I think the chrono is correct. I can get the same velocity with my 7mm-08 as I can with the 270 WSM

Im using a standard sako 85 270wsm.

My most accurate load is 66gr of rl22 and 150 sst. this produces 1/2" @100 without any real pressure signs. Ive tried from 63-67gr of rl22 but the most accurate as said is 66gr.

What kind of velocity are you getting with 66gr of RL22. That sounds like a smoking load. I have 61.5 loaded so it will be intersting to see what I get.

Elk Hunter, I would try MagPro if you can find it, I have used it with 130's and I get over 3350 with them, using book loads. I would have kept using it, but I can't find it as easily as the Alliant powders. Scotty

I havent got conclusive vel as yet as im still in the testing stage but when i did test the vel on a couple of rounds it was in the 3100-3200 but not sure what load that they were. I will confirm actual velocity after the 18th! when i will test my final loads.

Back